Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's bile there. It's in the vast minority but it's there. I've seen him called pathetic and a coward on these pages. A poster alluded to him having a drinking issue. On the LF forum, a poster called him "a c*nt of a coach" with "a diseased brain". All completely out of order and abusive.

They stand out because they are in the minority but it's certainly there and that's on moderated pages (and was dealt with, in fairness to those who moderate). I would think it's on unmoderated sites like Twitter and Facebook in greater numbers but I don't really visit those pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    There's bile there. It's in the vast minority but it's there. I've seen him called pathetic and a coward on these pages. A poster alluded to him having a drinking issue. On the LF forum, a poster called him "a c*nt of a coach" with "a diseased brain". All completely out of order and abusive.

They stand out because they are in the minority but it's certainly there and that's on moderated pages (and was dealt with, in fairness to those who moderate). I would think it's on unmoderated sites like Twitter and Facebook in greater numbers but I don't really visit those pages.

It is there, but it's frustrating that these pundits are more than happy to attack these people, giving them a voice while their at it, while ignoring the reasonable and logical complaints that people are also putting forward. There's no point in attacking these people. If they are the type of person to make those remarks then Tony Ward giving out about them won't change a damn thing. It's just in no way constructive to even acknowledge them. And it paints a picture of large swathes of Leinster supporters being nothing but total dicks as well. Guilty by association and all that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I listened to Monday Night Rugby on Newstalk with Hogan and Jackman and then caught some of Against the Head on RTE last night.

There did seem to be a noticeable shift in how they talked about MOC on both, which is strange after we had 2 away games against top class opposition.

Hogan was saying "things need to be looked at" and the lads on Against the Head were saying it wasn't good enough with the squad we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Social media and the internet is slowly replacing the sphere of influence held by those in the print and TV/radio media. It's no surprise to me that they will discredit it at every opportunity. We now have an outlet to collectively voice our disagreement. Some abuse it, most don't. However people with an agenda to promote their presumed superior knowledge/intellect will group the "most" with the "some".

Didn't you want to be a sports journo at one stage? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Didn't you want to be a sports journo at one stage? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

;)

Thomond2006

Thomond

Tho

Thornley

Gerry Thornley

The boards undercover journo finally unmasked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »

;)
    Thomond2006

Thomond

Tho

Thornley

Gerry Thornley

The boards undercover journo finally unmasked
    You got me. I didn't achieve my sports journo dream and now I'm eternally bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You got me. I didn't achieve my sports journo dream and now I'm eternally bitter.

But you did learn French...

But you did learn French...
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa oui

As some here might remember, a couple of years ago, there were rumours on the go that Leinster had approached both Drew Mitchell and AAC. Whispers were that Mitchell in particular was a real possibility before it went quiet and Zane Kirchner's name emerged.

Mitchell admitted this morning that he did speak with Leinster and that it was a straight call in the end between us and Toulon. Weather and Giteau were the reasons he went for Toulon in the end. Shame, he's a superb player and would have been a real weapon for us. He would have suited us more too given we needed a winger that could play 15 more than a 15 that could play wing.

As some here might remember, a couple of years ago, there were rumours on the go that Leinster had approached both Drew Mitchell and AAC. Whispers were that Mitchell in particular was a real possibility before it went quiet and Zane Kirchner's name emerged.

Mitchell admitted this morning that he did speak with Leinster and that it was a straight call in the end between us and Toulon. Weather and Giteau were the reasons he went for Toulon in the end. Shame, he's a superb player and would have been a real weapon for us. He would have suited us more too given we needed a winger that could play 15 more than a 15 that could play wing.

He isn't a guaranteed starter anymore with Toulon which IMO he would have been with Leinster. Nalaga is coming in next year too.

• Advertisement

He isn't a guaranteed starter anymore with Toulon which IMO he would have been with Leinster. Nalaga is coming in next year too.

McFadden dropping to the bench and Mitchell on the wing. He would have been a potent weapon in attack.

Alas, he's got his money and is 31 now. His best is behind him and he wouldn't be nearly as attractive an option now given how quickly wingers tend to wind down.

He's still very much in the mix at Toulon, though. 22 starts already this season so, while he may not be first choice with all available, he's still an important option there. With Armitage injured he'll probably start this weekend, too. I can see him hanging on there for another couple of seasons until he's not wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I always found Mitchell grossly over-rated. He'd be a bit better than Kirchner but not a whole lot IMO. Aussie have definitely produced better wingers.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I always found Mitchell grossly over-rated. He'd be a bit better than Kirchner but not a whole lot IMO. Aussie have definitely produced better wingers.

I think he has had about 2 years in his career where he was sensational but was generally pretty good. The broken leg really hurt him. He was electric in 2010 and 2011 and I reckoned he was set to be a star of the RWC. He had 15 tries in 23 appearances for the 'Tahs in that period as well as another 9 tries for Australia in those 2 years.

As an out and out winger, I'm not sure Australia did have too many better ones in the past decade. I'd have him ahead of the majority of them. Campese is the only player with a better try scoring record than him for Australia.

As an attacking player, I wouldn't have him in the same bracket as Kirchner at all, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I think he has had about 2 years in his career where he was sensational but was generally pretty good. The broken leg really hurt him. He was electric in 2010 and 2011 and I reckoned he was set to be a star of the RWC. He had 15 tries in 23 appearances for the 'Tahs in that period as well as another 9 tries for Australia in those 2 years.

As an out and out winger, I'm not sure Australia did have too many better ones in the past decade. I'd have him ahead of the majority of them. Campese is the only player with a better try scoring record than him for Australia.

As an attacking player, I wouldn't have him in the same bracket as Kirchner at all, to be honest.

Yes, but as we know Buer, tries should not be a metric used to judge a winger :pac:

Yes, but as we know Buer, tries should not be a metric used to judge a winger :pac:

The only metric!

He probably doesn't create a huge amount for others nor is he famed defensively but he's reasonably solid in that area.

Anyway....

#GilroyforRWC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes. he scores too many really. He can't be doing all those other things that are more important......:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The only metric!

He probably doesn't create a huge amount for others nor is he famed defensively but he's reasonably solid in that area.

Anyway....

#GilroyforRWC

Leave Gilroy alone.......:D Bowe, Zebo, Earls and Fitz are more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. he scores too many really. He can't be doing all those other things that are more important......:D:D:D:D

Gilroy can't be expected to tackle and defend when he's too busy making yards and scoring tries. Scoring more tries is the best defence, ABs have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Cronin out for the rest of the season, didn't even know he was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Info

"After medical advice, Sean Cronin has this afternoon undergone surgery to repair damage to a tendon in his left shoulder.

The operation has gone well but Sean will miss the rest of the Leinster Rugby season which involves games against Treviso and Edinburgh in the Guinness PRO12. The expected rehabilitation period is 12 weeks. "

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13535.php#.VUD85JMaeys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I imagine anyone with long-standing but non-critical issues is going to go under the knife ASAP now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I imagine anyone with long-standing but non-critical issues is going to go under the knife ASAP now.

Yeah, there's no point in risking any of the Irish lads if they aren't in the running for the play-offs. Get everyone as fit as possible ahead of the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very surprised to read that about Cronin, but now is as good a time as you'll get for surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13536.php#.VUHy7dLF8fY

Official. Isa to return to Leinster...

ISA! ISA! ISA!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    ISA! ISA! ISA!
    This.Repeatedly.

O'Connor's last paragraph appears to put to bed any rumours of him walking:
    "There is still a huge amount of work to be done off the pitch to ensure that we are best placed to challenge over the course of a full season next year. Over the next few weeks we hope to confirm the final players for next season and we hope to have news of possibly one or two more players coming in."

Not sure what to make of Nacewa returning. He was a class act for us but there's so many alarm bells about him returning in these circumstances. He's older, hasn't played in 2 years, is coming back into a completely different side and it's now confirmed that he'll have no coaching input either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

.ak wrote: »
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13536.php#.VUHy7dLF8fY

Official. Isa to return to Leinster...

ISA! ISA! ISA!
    we know will contribute massively to the environment
    hasn't played in a bit but he hasn't been alien to a rugby environment

That's two shots if you're playing the Matt O'Connor 'environment' drinking game :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I don't see it mentioned elsewhere but Jonny Sexton was on Second Captains last night talking about his return to Leinster, Racing Metro and the upcoming World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sure what to make of Nacewa returning. He was a class act for us but there's so many alarm bells about him returning in these circumstances. He's older, hasn't played in 2 years, is coming back into a completely different side and it's now confirmed that he'll have no coaching input either.

Me neither.

But on the other hand, feck it, it's Isa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's a total unknown.

Although one thing I would say is Tiquiri aside, I think MOC has been pretty on the money in terms of signings. Douglas hasn't been at the races but it looks like that injury may have been niggling at him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement