Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

[buzzkillington] This is a very poor rugby decision folks, along with keeping Kirchner. [/buzzkillington]

However, I've no doubt that this will drive many people to renew who otherwise wouldn't. I'm certainly looking forward to watching Sexton and Nacewa but Kirchner should have have been let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Honestly we won't know if it's poor decision until he plays. But keeping both of them on the books is an odd one alright.

... unless he's been learning to play scrummie. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

rrpc wrote: »
    I don't see it mentioned elsewhere but Jonny Sexton was on Second Captains last night talking about his return to Leinster, Racing Metro and the upcoming World Cup.

Cheers.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10413424/

Here's the Player link for anyone interested. 26mins in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

[buzzkillington] This is a very poor rugby decision folks, along with keeping Kirchner. [/buzzkillington]

However, I've no doubt that this will drive many people to renew who otherwise wouldn't. I'm certainly looking forward to watching Sexton and Nacewa but Kirchner should have have been let go.

It doesn't make an iota of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    It's a total unknown.

Although one thing I would say is Tiquiri aside, I think MOC has been pretty on the money in terms of signings. Douglas hasn't been at the races but it looks like that injury may have been niggling at him.

Well there's always Sean McCarthy....

Douglas is still up in the air. I think with some time off and a proper pre-season he could be really good for us. But we've yet to see it so I don't think we can call that one way or another. Tiquiri was a disaster (and MOC wanted to extend is contract) while Te'o is proving to be a really good call. Possibly even great. What other signings have we had that were MOC signings (excluding Hagan and van Dyk who were just short term)? I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Which gives us 3 signings. One a dud, one yet to impress and one excellent. I'm not including Sexton as he was more an IRFU signing than a Leinster one.

Signings for next year are Kearney, who looks like a decent Pro12 signing, and Isa who hasn't played the game in 2 years and is a risk. We don't know how they'll pan out next season.

Based on the above (and I'm probably forgetting someone) I don't think you can say MOC has been on the money. He may turn out next season to have more hits than misses, but that's not the case so far.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I fear that people are getting misty eyed about this.
    Leinster have just signed a guy who has been retired for two years.

Douglas
    T'eo
    Kirchner
    Nacewa

are the NIEs for next year. So only room for a project (ugh) player so?

EDIT: Sorry, of course Te'o can count as a project (ugh) player.
    awec wrote: »

It makes some sense to me IF they hadn't kept Kirchner as well. I'm sure the players are happy to see one of the key elements of their previous success returning. The supporters will be delirious with delight at one of their favourites returning. Nacewa = Money off the field. However that's off the field. On the field a 33 year old is returning who won't have played for two years. I really hope it works out for him but I'm very sceptical.

Aside from that, why keep Kirchner when all Kirchner has been for the most part is a bit-part / squad player?

Douglas
    T'eo
    Kirchner
    Nacewa

T'eo is our PP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Douglas
    T'eo
    Kirchner
    Nacewa

Can Te'o not go down as a project player?

You spelled God wrong.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    It doesn't make an iota of sense.

Possibility of late confirmation from both players left them with two in the hand as opposed to the bush.

Anyway isn't the new rules 3+1 now not 4+1?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We really arent.

We are badly stuck during a period when other league and cup teams may not be quite as badly stuck.

If he contributes something to an effort that means we arent ****ed by Christmas, it will have been worth it. Hes a good leader and a savvy presence on the field.

Aint nobody lookin at Messiahs around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

What all you negative nellies are forgetting is........this is Isa.

'nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

MOC mentioned that he hopes to bring in another one or two players, any ideas who this will be? I assumed this would be the end of our business so hope that they're addressing the scrum half issue now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Douglas
    T'eo
    Kirchner
    Nacewa

Leinster and Munster are only allowed 3+1 NIEs next season; Ulster have been given dispensation for an extra NIE. That should be Leinster's recruitment for next season finished.

Nacewa is the definition of a panic buy. The club know that MOC has lost the fan-base, so they're bringing a popular player out of retirement to keep them happy.

Nacewa is the definition of a panic buy. The club know that MOC has lost the fan-base, so they're bringing a popular player out of retirement to keep them happy.

I don't think it's a panic buy. A panic buy implies it's a financial risk/waste and I don't believe it is. I doubt Nacewa will be on huge money and keeping the fans happy equals money. If this means a few hundred renewals that otherwise wouldn't happen then it's good business. As for how he will perform on the field I have grave doubts about a 33 year old player who hasn't played in 2 years and whose last season was apparently spent struggling through an injury issue.

If anything I think Kirchner is a panic renewal given what he has brought to the table in his two seasons. Plus there's a (remote) chance he will be gone during RWC.

I don't think that's what they're doing at all. Not sure you can call it a panic buy, they've been in talks for almost a year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Leinster and Munster are only allowed 3+1 NIEs next season; Ulster have been given dispensation for an extra NIE. That should be Leinster's recruitment for next season finished.

Does that mean if I get really pissed off and write on twitter that MoC smells bad they'll bring back Shane Byrne?

MOC mentioned that he hopes to bring in another one or two players, any ideas who this will be? I assumed this would be the end of our business so hope that they're addressing the scrum half issue now

Was he not talking about renewals? I think that's it in terms of signings, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I don't think that's what they're doing at all. Not sure you can call it a panic buy, they've been in talks for almost a year afaik.

Yes, that and also the fact that it's a World Cup year and most players are staying put until after it.
    Yes, it is a bit of a risk but he should slot in quickly and hopefully mentor guys around him when all the main guys are at the RWC.

except Nacewa was rumoured months ago...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was he not talking about renewals? I think that's it in terms of signings, unfortunately.

Nope.

"Over the next few weeks we hope to confirm the final players for next season and we hope to have news of possibly one or two more players coming in."

That's definitely a reference to new signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

How is it they have been granted this, what is the point of rules if they don't apply to all????

IQ obviously.

PeterStringerrugbyplayer.jpg

Thanos wrote: »
    How is it they have been granted this, what is the point of rules if they don't apply to all????

None of the Ulster NIQ players contracts are up at the end of this season, so they've been permitted to not pay someone off just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I don't think it's a panic buy. A panic buy implies it's a financial risk and I don't believe it is. I doubt Nacewa will be on huge money and keeping the fans happy equals money.

I don't see how it implies a financial risk in the slightest. The club have no idea who to sign, so they turn to a retired player who was good in the past and will be popular among the fans.

POC mightn't be around next season. Why don't Munster get MOD in rather than trusting the existing stocks or buying someone better?

I don't see how it implies a financial risk in the slightest. The club have no idea who to sign, so they turn to a retired player who was good in the past and will be popular among the fans.

POC mightn't be around next season. Why don't Munster get MOC in rather than trusting the existing stocks or buying someone better?

Ok but the 'popular among the fans' is very important. You can take the cynical POV that it's to 'numb' the fans and while that might be true....if this drives up ticket revenue then why not do it? I think it's potentially a great business move.

Also while Nacewa is not coming in a coaching capacity now, maybe there is a view to having him join the coaching staff at a later stage.

I think I'm repeating myself so I'll bow out for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

PoC missed virtually two seasons not so long ago, just like fitz and donnacha ryan and SOB have had long term layoffs. I know they were not out for two full years as such but a player who does his ACL is gone for a season and they can comeback to the level they were at.

For Pro12 level alone Nacewa will do a very good job i feel. I think He will be a very positive signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The club have no idea who to sign so they turn to a retired player who was good in the past and will be popular among the fans.

I got this memo too actually. Did everyone else? The font choice was lovely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement