Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Delighted with Isa coming back. He will have a full pre season under his belt so really he will be starting on a par with the rest of the squad for me its like a player coming back in after a long injury lay off but without the hassle of a dodgy knee/shoulder/ankle It probably wouldn't be happening if it wasn't a world cup year but I think he can be success again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Darce signed a 4 month contract with the IRFU. Obviously not out of the running for the RWC. If he doesn't make it then he'll be cover for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    Darce signed a 4 month contract with the IRFU. Obviously not out of the running for the RWC. If he doesn't make it then he'll be cover for Leinster.

At this stage he'd probably be the one they'd fall back on if Henshaw got hurt, because there isn't really anyone else with experience in the setup who could play 12, so it makes complete sense.

If everyone is fit then it'll be great having his experience to help Leinster get through the first 4/5 Pro 12 games with a few wins.

On a related note, when are the Pro 12 fixtures normally released? Will be interesting to see who we're playing in September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

At this stage he'd probably be the one they'd fall back on if Henshaw got hurt, because there isn't really anyone else with experience in the setup who could play 12, so it makes complete sense.

If everyone is fit then it'll be great having his experience to help Leinster get through the first 4/5 Pro 12 games with a few wins.

On a related note, when are the Pro 12 fixtures normally released? Will be interesting to see who we're playing in September/October.

It's usually late July, early August I think. There's so much wrangling to be done between the different Unions and TV stations that it's inevitably later than we'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tidy bit of business from the IRFU, fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

.ak wrote: »
    Tidy bit of business from the IRFU, fair play to them.

Yes, good move. He could be ideal if someone gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

You spelled God wrong.
    Yes. ...and he retired last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Indo (yes I know) is linking Leinster with Nic Groom, 25 year old scrum-half with Stormers.

I think the quota might still be 4+1. IIRC a recent video from Munster's Garrett Fitzgerald mentioned 4+1 and not 3+1.

TommyOM wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

You wish....Play him at 9...sorted.

• Advertisement

The Indo (yes I know) is linking Leinster with Nic Groom, 25 year old scrum-half with Stormers.

So... does he have Irish parentage or is someone going to make way?

awec wrote: »
    Am I alone in wishing MOC gets a new Lancaster-esque 7 year deal?

No....:D

@TommyOM

If you could just explain a single thing that Matt O'Connor has done wrong, then maybe we could have a discussion.

Otherwise it's mostly histrionics.

Here's one. In the game v Dragons, he got the subs badly wrong. Te'o was binned, and Luke Fitzgerald, with gametime at 13 and 11 this season was on the bench. Darragh Fanning was playing wing.

There was 15 minutes left, and I feel that Fitz coming on for Fanning at that stage could well have been the difference. Fitz defending 13&14 (for 10 mins with the bin) instead of Fanning, as well as Fitzgerald's experience and attacking ability would have been a much preferable situation imo.

In your opinion, has MOC repeatedly shown bad use of the bench?

With all respect to your knowledge of the game but this is pie in the sky, wishlist stuff. The hype seems to know no bounds where Fitz is concerned. Next thing we know he'll be curing cancer and making Roy Keane into a nice man....Well curing cancer at any rate. Some things are totally implausible.

jacothelad wrote: »
    With all respect to your knowledge of the game but this is pie in the sky, wishlist stuff. The hype seems to know no bounds where Fitz is concerned. Next thing we know he'll be curing cancer and making Roy Keane into a nice man....Well curing cancer at any rate. Some things are totally implausible.

I don't think the idea that Fitzgerald is a much better defender than Darragh Fanning is pie in the sky stuff, especially when he's fresh off the bench and Fanning has played 70 minutes of rugby!

Good news for Darcy. Top man all round. however, I simply can't see him going to the RWC on any basis. ....unless guys like Henshaw, Marshall, McCloskey, Cave, Fitzgerald, Olding are all dead.
    I don't think the idea that Fitzgerald is a much better defender than Darragh Fanning is pie in the sky stuff, especially when he's fresh off the bench and Fanning has played 70 minutes of rugby!

I'm not talking about his defending. The fault with MOC wasn't just keeping Fitz on the bench. The pie in the sky stuff is that Fitz could defend two channels at once. He's a pretty decent defender but he isn't The Messiah of defence ffs. The fault was not selecting a better team to begin with.

What?

Do you believe that Fanning is a better defender of the hole that T'eo left by being carded AND his own position than Fitzgerald?

I'm not talking about his defending. The fault with MOC wasn't just keeping Fitz on the bench. The pie in the sky stuff is that Fitz could defend two channels at once. He's a pretty decent defender but he isn't The Messiah of defence ffs. The fault was not selecting a better team to begin with.

Well I was. And you said it was pie in the sky stuff... Perhaps a quick reread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

You're misunderstanding the point that was made I think. It wasn't that Fitz is the messiah and can defend two positions at once, it's that fresh off the bench he can do a better job of defending than Fanning who had already played for 70 minutes in a backline which is missing a player. It's straightforward enough I think.

:confused:

Did you see the game (genuine question)? What exactly is wrong with what emmett saying here? Fanning was suffering and Fitz made a noticable difference when he was actually brought on, and when you're a man down you need your winger to often defend narrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Well done D'Arcy. One of the best players ever to don the blue jersey.

I think the quota might still be 4+1. IIRC a recent video from Munster's Garrett Fitzgerald mentioned 4+1 and not 3+1.

I wonder if he's being groomed for greater things in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hern28

Thanks to Gordon Darcy.Great servant to Leinster and Ireland. Great career and great rugby player.

ssaye2 wrote: »

Lump in my throat reading that letter

Groom could also just be here to teach McGrath how to pass:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if the indo are trawling through old boards posts to make it less obvious.

I suggested him as a potential project a few weeks ago when another poster asked for people to name a SH out of contract other than Stringer. He has been in Springbok squads when they had their injury crisis in that position. Probably 6th choice for the national side down there.

I wonder if the indo are trawling through old boards posts to make it less obvious.

I suggested him as a potential project a few weeks ago when another poster asked for people to name a SH out of contract other than Stringer. He has been in Springbok squads when they had their injury crisis in that position. Probably 6th choice for the national side down there.

Aw for a second there I had hopes... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Obligatory

Doesn't do him justice enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement