Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I don't mod this forum, so I can't delete anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Right so, posted in the wrong thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Sky just said Toulon-Leinster is on Sunday 19th at 3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It would be the biggest upset since Leinster turned over Toulouse back in '06 was it? Hickie's length of the field try.

Michalak contributed to Leinster's win that day.

Starting Madigan at 10 is the only way Leinster have a hope of surprising Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Korat wrote: »
    It would be the biggest upset since Leinster turned over Toulouse back in '06 was it? Hickie's length of the field try.

Starting Madigan at 10 is the only way Leinster have a hope of surprising Toulon.

Madigan can't control games at the best of times and has no hope when his pack is on the back foot we'd be destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If we beat Toulon, it'll be an even bigger shock than 06 in my opinion.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Madigan can't control games at the best of times and has no hope when his pack is on the back foot we'd be destroyed.

Leinster have 5 of Ireland's, 3rd ranked in the World back to back 6N champions, first choice pack, with another 4 of this season's replacements. Parity up front is a reasonable expectation.

Gopperth disappeared for much of the game yesterday and Madigan missed so many tackles at 12 Paddy Wallace was laughing. Wrong men in the wrong places.

George Ford exposed Leinster in the same way Madigan is the best shot of exposing Toulon.

You might as well lose by 50 than not try at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I thought Wasps did well on the second half. Toulon just keep coming at you. There was a spell where Wasps milled them in a few scrums. A slight chink of hope...maybe.
    We definitely need to bring our A game for 80 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

They have a big, old pack if indeed that one plays against us, with an average (by top European level) front row. Our only real hope is to go after them up front.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

wowy wrote: »
    Sky just said Toulon-Leinster is on Sunday 19th at 3.15.

Interesting if true because BT were advertising earlier that they had the Sunday semi-final but they supposedly have first pick on English sides which would mean passing Clermont v Saracens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

icdg wrote: »
    Interesting if true because BT were advertising earlier that they had the Sunday semi-final but they supposedly have first pick on English sides which would mean passing Clermont v Saracens?

Definitely Sunday, Sky put it up after the Toulon match.

icdg wrote: »

No way BT aren't covering Sarries. That will be a circle-jerk of earth shattering proportions if today's coverage is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Yeah, our game is on Sky...best of a bad bunch.
    Everything is so sensationalized, it's like tabloid tv.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Obviously just a bit of jumping the gun by BT so. Makes more sense for them to have the Saturday game, in their regular PRL slot at 3:15pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

George Ford exposed Leinster in the same way Madigan is the best shot of exposing Toulon.

Madigan isn't capable of exposing a defence the way George Ford exposed Leinster yesterday. George Ford reads the game brilliantly and has time on the ball, Madigan doesn't. Neither does Gopperth mind.

If Matt O'Connor can engineer a win over Toulon, I'll donate all my spare time to assisting Anzac Day Ozzifications of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think making this SF will finish off our chances of getting into the league play-offs. Just a 5 day turnaround now until Ulster away. We need something out of all 4 remaining matches to have a hope of a playoff spot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think making this SF will finish off our chances of getting into the league play-offs. Just a 5 day turnaround now until Ulster away. We need something out of all 4 remaining matches to have a hope of a playoff spot.

I hope we're not thinking that way. Europe absolute priority for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Hagz wrote: »
    Madigan isn't capable of exposing a defence the way George Ford exposed Leinster yesterday. George Ford reads the game brilliantly and has time on the ball, Madigan doesn't. Neither does Gopperth mind.

I'd have said spotting a gap in a defence and speeding through it was one of Madigan's main strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I hope we're not thinking that way. Europe absolute priority for me.

That's nice in theory but a valiant SF loss and no playoffs in the league is realistically what we're looking at by prioritising Europe. I'm not even saying that's necessarily the wrong way to go but that's basically what we're looking at, which is pretty depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd have said spotting a gap in a defence and speeding through it was one of Madigan's main strengths?

Breaking the line himself is one of his main strengths, engineering a gap or mismatch for someone else doesn't seem remotely as common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd have to disagree. I don't really have any abiding memories of Madigan doing anything similar to what George Ford did yesterday, aside from his try at the start of this season against Scarlets. I do think Madigan has a powerful step off his inside and he's caused defences a lot of problems with that (mainly in the early stages of his career), but I don't think that's the same thing. I don't think that involves reading defences, just explosive power. Aside from not having the same amount of time on the ball or reading defences as well, I would also say that George Ford is significantly quicker that Ian Madigan as well.

Ian Madigan is our Campese.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I was trying to figure out your comment and then I realised what you must be referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5GKgD5d2Ec&t=4m20s

Buer wrote: »
    I was trying to figure out your comment and then I realised what you must be referring to.

Yep, that's Campo.

The modern game never allows that kind of freedom.

Ian Madigan is a player from a different age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yep, that's Campo.

The modern game never allows that kind of freedom.

Ian Madigan is a player from a different age.

Ian Madigan is not David Campese.

Lets call a spade a spade. Madigan is much, much closer to Shane Geraghty or Ryan Lamb as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Breaking the line himself is one of his main strengths, engineering a gap or mismatch for someone else doesn't seem remotely as common.

That's exactly it - nailed. He always seems to try to go himself when there is a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

vienne86 wrote: »
    . He always seems to try to go himself when there is a gap.

And also, when there isn't a gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume Leinster will be allowed to field their strongest side for Dragons? I think they'll need to have a consistent selection with a view to Marseille.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement