Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's your favourite Darce moment?

.ak wrote: »

story_24135_gordondarcy1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Loved the Croke Park Try too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He was some man for starting a fight. I remember in the Munster-Leinster semi in 2009 there was a big row during the game at a time when we were defending in our own 22, and sure enough there was D'Arcy in the middle of it. The fights always seemed to be particularly conveniently timed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Obligatory

Doesn't do him justice enough

Consistently tidying up crap slow ball doesn't transfer well to you youtube.

I remember there was a period in 2005/2006, where literally everytime the ball got slow, Leinster gave it to D'Arcy and he turned it into go forward ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Aw for a second there I had hopes... :(

Or maybe Leinster are after him, hell maybe I gave them idea, (if so I want a finders fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wonder if the indo are trawling through old boards posts to make it less obvious.

I suggested him as a potential project a few weeks ago when another poster asked for people to name a SH out of contract other than Stringer. He has been in Springbok squads when they had their injury crisis in that position. Probably 6th choice for the national side down there.

TYPICAL independent! So annoying when you think there might actually be a good signing on the horizon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

The Fofana tackle is just brilliant, the try against France, but what about this one:

You could forget how fast he was, that's Jason Robinson he leaves for dead.

You could do a nice highlights reel just from his contribution to the 2004 Triple Crown, he was just phenomenal. 6N player of the year that season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

his partnership with BOD in general - total understanding between the 2, if teams concentrated on BOD , D'Arcy cut you open with his flair - his defence was unreal , can't remember him missing a big hit.

• Advertisement

820974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

TYPICAL independent! So annoying when you think there might actually be a good signing on the horizon...

:cough Le Roux

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think one of my favourite moments, and I'm not sure why, is when in the 2009 HEC final he kept stepping players. It was one of those things, he had started to lose his pace, but his step was very much alive and it was killing Leicester and frustrating them. He'd get static ball and manage to beat a defender every time. Don't know why, but just sticks in my head.

The Fofana tackle is just brilliant, the try against France, but what about this one:

You could forget how fast he was, that's Jason Robinson he leaves for dead.

You could do a nice highlights reel just from his contribution to the 2004 Triple Crown, he was just phenomenal. 6N player of the year that season.

Backline is static in the first and second receiver :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I wonder if he's being groomed for greater things in Ireland?

Where's the thumbs down button? We really need one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    Good news for Darcy. Top man all round. however, I simply can't see him going to the RWC on any basis. ....unless guys like Henshaw, Marshall, McCloskey, Cave, Fitzgerald, Olding are all dead.

I know you may have a slight bias there but McCloskey is no where near Ireland even if all the other centres you mentioned were dead, theyd all still be named ahead of him and so would D'Arcy. The only one you mentioned apart from Henshaw that might go ahead of him is Marshall, the rest aren't even close, Olding is the future but the latest injury puts him totally out of contention. The one you didn't mention that might travel ahead of D'Arcy would be Earls but apart from that he's probably still next in line after Henshaw right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You can't talk about Darce and not mention his leg drive. How often did he take contact and still eek out metres by pumping his legs. Serious, serious strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Best wishes to Darcy, and a nice letter he wrote too, very classy. Darcy/BOD, it rolls off the tongue like Horan/Little, Mesnel/Sella and Nonu/Smith. Maybe we see him in the commentary box if he doesn't make the trip to England?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    I know you may have a slight bias there but McCloskey is no where near Ireland even if all the other centres you mentioned were dead, theyd all still be named ahead of him and so would D'Arcy. The only one you mentioned apart from Henshaw that might go ahead of him is Marshall, the rest aren't even close, Olding is the future but the latest injury puts him totally out of contention. The one you didn't mention that might travel ahead of D'Arcy would be Earls but apart from that he's probably still next in line after Henshaw right now.

Yes i forgot that Olding is out until next year. With regard to McCloskey, he has a few games to show his mettle. In a straight choice between him and Darcy I would choose him now, even with his lack of games. All the guys I mentioned have played 12 except Earls who hasn't done so since the Churchill Cup I think and that was years ago. Frankly, sentiment seems to be guiding peoples thoughts on Darcy. If Ireland have to play him at 12 in the RWC we may as well give up now. I'm glad he played this year but it is also sad to see how pedestrian he has become. He isn't good enough now...at all.That is sport.

• Advertisement

I think D'Arcy has been OK this year, he played most of the first half of the season at 13, people seem to be completely unaware of that. When he's played 12 he's been much better. He played against Australia in the autumn and didn't have a great game offensively but wasn't found wanting defensively, much like most of the Irish team in the Autumn and 6N really.

He'll need a couple of injuries to go his way to make the RWC but he'd be ahead of the likes of McCloskey and Marshall IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McCloskey's s a big call for a guy who's only started 10 Senior games.

Also; step forward Noel Reid, next season is potentially massive for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

jacothelad wrote: »
    Frankly, sentiment seems to be guiding peoples thoughts on Darcy. If Ireland have to play him at 12 in the RWC we may as well give up now. I'm glad he played this year but it is also sad to see how pedestrian he has become. He isn't good enough now...at all.That is sport.

nothing sentimental about the praise - just over a year ago he was one of the top midfielders in world rugby , this year time has caught up with him -if joe brought him to the WC his experience would invaluable to what could be a long campaign.

My favourite D'Arcy memory , after another heroic performance against all blacks , I was having my usual dive at the 40 Foot , I looked beside me at the rock, and there he was - no bigger than me , i complemented him on his performance and said - after you - he smiled no you first - I dived , he dived and we shed a parting smile in the ocean - class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

In recent memory has to be that NZ game; played like a man possessed. Probably the most disruptive player on the pitch in the rucks that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SCM has signed for Nottingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

thebaz wrote: »
    nothing sentimental about the praise - just over a year ago he was one of the top midfielders in world rugby , this year time has caught up with him -if joe brought him to the WC his experience would invaluable to what could be a long campaign.

My favourite D'Arcy memory , after another heroic performance against all blacks , I was having my usual dive at the 40 Foot , I looked beside me at the rock, and there he was - no bigger than me , i complemented him on his performance and said - after you - he smiled no you first - I dived , he dived and we shed a parting smile in the ocean - class act.

resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-bromance-approved-70650b.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster should let D'Arcy captain the side next Friday seeing as it's a dead rubber fixture anyway.

Or at least lead the team out.

awec wrote: »
    Leinster should let D'Arcy captain the side next Friday seeing as it's a dead rubber fixture anyway.

Or at least lead the team out.

Leinster need to win and probably need 6 points in last two games. We could finish 7th if we lost both.

No dead rubber games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can you imagine the Anglesea Terrace at the final whistle if Leinster lost to Treviso?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement