Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's better to be playing well in a team that's playing badly, than playing badly in a team that's playing badly.

agreed

but its better again to be playing well in a team thats playing well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looking at the table Leinster will probably have to win to keep their 5th place. Scarlets are four points behind but have the same number of wins.

To finish ahead of Connacht Edinburgh will need at least two points as they share the number of wins with Connacht but have a much worse points difference and are a league point behind on the table.

Incidentally both Connacht and Leinster have won 10 matches going into this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looking at the table Leinster will probably have to win to keep their 5th place. Scarlets are four points behind but have the same number of wins.

To finish ahead of Connacht Edinburgh will need at least two points as they share the number of wins with Connacht but have a much worse points difference and are a league point behind on the table.

Incidentally both Connacht and Leinster have won 10 matches going into this weekend.

2 points will do us. But we need to go out there looking for the win obviously. I'd like to think Leinster can beat Edinburgh and prevent them getting the TBP for Connachts sake, but we were simply so bad against Treviso that I don't see it happening. I joked with you during the game when you said Munster only beat Treviso by 11 that Leinster would be lucky to score 11. I was only half serious when I said it. But if we can't do better than that at home to Treviso we're going to struggle away to Edinburgh.

We beat them in the RDS 33-8 at the end of October but that feels like a life-time ago. Despite talk recently of the second string lads not stepping up we had almost a completely second string side out for that one and got 5 tries. It was one of our more complete performances this season, and even at that it still wasn't great. We're nowhere near replicating anything like that now though.

With the season away from us I honestly thought that against Treviso at home we would go at them and try and open things up. The weather put a dampener on that but truth be told, there was no intensity at all. We were happy to play out the game and it was a performance that further proved how switched off this Leinster side is.

I think we have the capacity to win against Edinburgh but we will have to show up to do so. It would be good to end the season with a decent team performance but I really worry about what's going on with the set-up.

O'Connor again mentioned that a number of "blokes" would be away at the start of next season but Leinster are going to start losing fewer and fewer players to the international set up if things progress as they are. It's hard to make a solid stake for a Jersey when performances are so bloody disjointed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tbh that treviso game was a dead rubber. they were never going to beat us especially after we scored so early.

just guys going through the motions really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CatFromHue wrote: »
    tbh that treviso game was a dead rubber. they were never going to beat us especially after we scored so early.

just guys going through the motions really.

It wasn't a dead rubber, although it felt like it at the ground! Treviso had Europe to play for and did try but their kicking game was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It wouldn't surprise me if Munster are interested in Macken as a squad player tbh. It would make more sense than signing Jordan Coghlan anyway!

Don't think he's good enough; maybe as a backup 13 but hopefully Bohane will be back next season or we could give some gametime to Goggin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It wasn't a dead rubber, although it felt like it at the ground! Treviso had Europe to play for and did try but their kicking game was appalling.

It was effectively a dead rubber as Treviso weren't going to beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think he meant after Leinster's early score. Certainly going into the game a victory was a necessity.

It was effectively a dead rubber as Treviso weren't going to beat us.

Ah come on, Leinster used to be pretty bloody ruthless regardless of what we needed from the fixture. With the quality we had on the pitch, I don't think the team should be anything at all happy with the performance.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they're not happy but with the team they had out all they had to do was show up and they'd win.

Then when you take into account the weather it bacame a bit of a dead rubber.

I'm sure they're not happy but with the team they had out all they had to do was show up and they'd win.

Then when you take into account the weather it bacame a bit of a dead rubber.

A TBP could have all but ensured 5th place. We now need to pick up at least 2 points in Edinburgh with away form that is utterly dreadful and after struggling to beat Treviso at home. If we only manage a LBP on Saturday (quite possible at this stage) then we could well drop down to 6th.

There was no way this should ever have been seen as a dead rubber. It was a very real opportunity to solidify our league position, end the home season on a high, right a few wrongs, ease the pressure ahead of next week and send off a couple of Leinster legends in the manner they deserved. Jesus even a bit of pride would have been nice.

Yeah the weather made that more difficult, but the way that game played out in the end was a shambles. I know STHs who hadn't renewed and after that showing have decided not to. And could you blame them?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Off the Ball had Graham Hunter on talking about Guardiola and a lot of what he was saying was eerily similar to what's being said about MOC.

Edit: Hunter was talking about the criticisms of Guardiola, not criticising him directly.

(I don't know enough about soccer to comment on the accuracy of it.)

molloyjh wrote: »
    A TBP could have all but ensured 5th place. We now need to pick up at least 2 points in Edinburgh with away form that is utterly dreadful and after struggling to beat Treviso at home. If we only manage a LBP on Saturday (quite possible at this stage) then we could well drop down to 6th.

There was no way this should ever have been seen as a dead rubber. It was a very real opportunity to solidify our league position, end the home season on a high, right a few wrongs, ease the pressure ahead of next week and send off a couple of Leinster legends in the manner they deserved. Jesus even a bit of pride would have been nice.

Yeah the weather made that more difficult, but the way that game played out in the end was a shambles. I know STHs who hadn't renewed and after that showing have decided not to. And could you blame them?

We can dress it up however we want but for the guys involved there was nothing at stake. They have liked to have played better and all that but they knew they were never going to lose and they didn't.

dregin wrote: »

Didn't Bayern win the Bundesliga this season? I don't watch soccer so can't comment on how they've been playing or even what exactly he's being criticised for but are they really comparable to Leinster at the moment?

Didn't Bayern win the Bundesliga this season? I don't watch soccer so can't comment on how they've been playing or even what exactly he's being criticised for but are they really comparable to Leinster at the moment?

basically the crux is, after doing the treble in 2012-13... the only way is down

even after loosing the european semi to the best club in it, and the fact their pissing the bundesliga.... hes still under pressure

We can dress it up however we want but for the guys involved there was nothing at stake. They have liked to have played better and all that but they knew they were never going to lose and they didn't.

Well if that really was the attitude then I'd be even more annoyed tbh. If they just wanted to get in and out like that then what the hell were the fans there for? If they don't really want to make the effort then why the hell should we?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    basically the crux is, after doing the treble in 2012-13... the only way is down

even after loosing the european semi to the best club in it, and the fact their pissing the bundesliga.... hes still under pressure

Are they playing decent football or crap football? And what's their record under him over the last couple of years?

Are they playing decent football or crap football? And what's their record under him over the last couple of years?

I'm not offering an opinion either way, just saying that even great managers can be put under pressure with unrealistic expectations (in bayrens case a european cup every year)

• Advertisement

I think the style of football Bayern are playing is irrelevant.

It is interesting that a senior player has made a comment like this completely off his own bat. So maybe, just maybe, things aren't as sh1tty in the camp as some would paint them.

The old Rob Kearney - Declan Kidney defence doesn't hold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

It is interesting that a senior player has made a comment like this completely off his own bat. So maybe, just maybe, things aren't as sh1tty in the camp as some would paint them.

I thought it was said the player's get on very well with MOC?

I think the style of football Bayern are playing is irrelevant.

The old Rob Kearney - Declan Kidney defence doesn't hold here.

Well the football they are playing is relevant in how accurate comparisons are. They've done well in the league but gone out of Europe at the knock-outs to the best side in Europe. That's exactly like last season for us.

As for the players opinions I am coming around to the idea that they genuinely like and respect MOC. That doesn't change a whole lot though in fairness.

case885 wrote: »

The players have been very positive about him but it's always dismissed with the "what else are they going to say" routine, so it's interesting to see a different angle on it.

As for the players opinions I am coming around to the idea that they genuinely like and respect MOC. That doesn't change a whole lot though in fairness.

Would it not make a difference if they didn't like and respect MOC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

case885 wrote: »

The lads could be having legendary craic but it isn't why I watch Leinster in fairness

Edit: beat me to it molloy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I think thats his point. At least they won something. Leinster win nada, so how under pressure is their coach ?

I think thats his point. At least they won something. Leinster win nada, so how under pressure is their coach ?

Make no mistake, Fitzgerald's point is that Guardiola is a good coach who is under pressure despite issues outside his control, and he is drawing a similarity to MOC, and he's is using it as an example of why top level sport is "ridiculous".

Would it not make a difference if they didn't like and respect MOC?

Because it hasn't made the rugby any better or the results. My issue isn't with MOC as a person, or even with how good, bad or indifferent he has them on the training paddock.

Also sometimes when you like a person it can be hard to see the wood from the trees. And while it may be true that they look great in training and MOC comes across as a technically excellent rugby man it isn't happening where it matters.

• Advertisement

Well the football they are playing is relevant in how accurate comparisons are. They've done well in the league but gone out of Europe at the knock-outs to the best side in Europe. That's exactly like last season for us.

They wouldn't respect him if they didn't think he was a good coach.

It doesn't put any more points on the league table but it's interesting nonetheless that this is the second senior player in three days to contradict boards.ie wisdom that it's all on the coach (Without being cornered at some press conference).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement