Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

All reasonable points, but I suppose the better question is, who would you have picked for this game?

To be honest about the only change I'd think of making is Te'o at 13 instead of COS. It gives a bit more continuity and probably takes a bit of pressure off Mads and Reid in some ways. That said, given that he's still just a league convert, maybe COS has the same impact in other areas. That's all tempered by the fact that it means we've one less young guy in the squad too. As I said I'm not dead set against the selection really, I just have a couple of concerns with it at the same time as being broadly positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

COS is a very strong voice in any backline, considering the lack of leadership we've had in midfield this season I think he could make a very positive difference. Really happy to see signs of him being highly rated by the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

COS is a very strong voice in any backline, considering the lack of leadership we've had in midfield this season I think he could make a very positive difference. Really happy to see signs of him being highly rated by the management.

I agree, think he is a cracking player, I love to see some of these boys get a chance. Have no worries about him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

He seems a decent player but he doesnt seem to be that highly rated, hes 24 and only played 4 times ever for Leinster, and hes only played a grand total of 24 minutes for the last two seasons under MOC I know some players can be late bloomers but he seems more like a stop gap

Tox56 wrote: »
    He seems a decent player but he doesnt seem to be that highly rated, hes 24 and only played 4 times ever for Leinster, and hes only played a grand total of 24 minutes for the last two seasons under MOC I know some players can be late bloomers but he seems more like a stop gap

He's been injured for prolonged periods as well though, so just pointing at his 4 appearances doesn't tell the whole story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

O'Shea has been unlucky with injury and this season, he's been sidelined to get Te'o up to speed, harsh on him but necessary for the team. He's a good player, he'll get his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He was also coming behind BOD, EOM and Macken, maybe over the last 12 months you'd have hoped for more game time but given the attempt to convert Mads to 12 and injuries to D'Arcy those chances would be fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

To be honest he's exactly the type of player MOC loves. No frills 13 that knows the basics well and is physical. He had a decent cameo last year but dropped a ball as he went through a gap and that seemed to debt his confidence a bit. But he's gotten a good bit of ail and leinster a game time in so he'll be looking to push that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's a good player, he'll get his chance.

When? One start in a nothing game doesn't constitute a chance either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There are no nothing games in the pro 12 ;)

• Advertisement

When? One start in a nothing game doesn't constitute a chance either.

Here's a better question.

When would you have played him? Keeping in mind that we needed to get Te'o up to speed and he turned out to be one of our best players in the second half of the season.

So what would you have done differently?

Here's a better question.

When would you have played him? Keeping in mind that we needed to get Te'o up to speed and he turned out to be one of our best players in the second half of the season.

So what would you have done differently?

Cool question dodge. I'm not really sure, it's very hard to know how good he is considering he's 24 and has played 200 minutes of professional rugby.

When is he going to get his chance?

Cool question dodge. I'm not really sure, it's very hard to know how good he is considering he's 24 and has played 200 minutes of professional rugby.

When is he going to get his chance?

Next season.

Te'o isn't going to play every game, Macken is gone, D'Arcy is gone, Luke will be away with Ireland and is (allegedly) focusing on the wing. That leaves Te'o and O'Shea as the only senior 13s.

Today's selection is very much looking forward to next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Of all the things to have a moan about regarding MOC, the non-presence of Colm O'Shea in our team is pretty bloody low on them. He has had multiple injury problems and there have been a number of more prominent options used in the jersey. It's not like we've had no other players playing there (Macken, D'Arcy, Te'o, Fitzgerald all starting there this season and even Crosbie got a good run there in one game).

COS will get a game when he gets one. He's not someone that has been tearing it up for us at A level. He's a solid, sensible player and could be a useful squad member during the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »

COS will get a game when he gets one. He's not someone that has been tearing it up for us at A level. He's a solid, sensible player and could be a useful squad member during the RWC.

This was my original point on how highly rated he is or isnt, even with his injuries hes had remarkably little gametime for someone who's been around as long as he has (he's actually older than Macken), and this will be his only start in two years under MOC. Maybe he has been kept on purely with the RWC in mind but I think/hope Ringrose will move ahead of him pretty soon

What do people think of Ringrose?

His talent is obvious but unless he spends the whole summer in the gym, downing protein shakes, I don't think he'll be physically ready for senior rugby next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Does anyone know where today's match will be broadcasted? I can't seem to find it on any of the major sport channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

BBC Alba

Buer wrote: »
    Of all the things to have a moan about regarding MOC, the non-presence of Colm O'Shea in our team is pretty bloody low on them. He has had multiple injury problems and there have been a number of more prominent options used in the jersey. It's not like we've had no other players playing there (Macken, D'Arcy, Te'o, Fitzgerald all starting there this season and even Crosbie got a good run there in one game).

If this is pointed at me, I've not mentioned MOC and have clearly said I don't know much about him (due to his extremely limited game time).

It's more I find it a bit odd him people can decide now he's rated and will get his shot and whatever because he's been picked for a total nothing game.

haiyna wrote: »
    Does anyone know where today's match will be broadcasted? I can't seem to find it on any of the major sport channels.

BBC Alba. You'll need a satellite dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

haiyna wrote: »

Follow link for tuning details for BBC Alba

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

His talent is obvious but unless he spends the whole summer in the gym, downing protein shakes, I don't think he'll be physically ready for senior rugby next season.

He's got a distance to go yet before he's physically ready to play for us against strong opposition. Unfortunately the improvement to the Pro 12 reduces those chances now. If he has a big off season and hits the gym hard maybe we'll see him, I'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

OldRio wrote:

OldRio wrote:

Thanks!

If this is pointed at me, I've not mentioned MOC and have clearly said I don't know much about him (due to his extremely limited game time).

It's more I find it a bit odd him people can decide now he's rated and will get his shot and whatever because he's been picked for a total nothing game.

I suppose you could look at the team selection, realise that he's by far the least experienced player in it and read something into that. This isn't a second string team, all the starters will be here next year and I don't think he'd be playing today if there was no intention to use him next season.

(Unless Te'o is injured, which I haven't heard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think he'll get senior rugby next season. He's part of a small group of academy players that the management have been exposing to the senior squad with an eye to having them more prepared for next season.

Centre is a very demanding spot so it's no surprise that you rarely see guys jumping straight in there from u20 unless they're physical freaks (Arnold, Robb, Marshall etc). COS has only really been physically up to scratch in the last year or two. He had Robb in his pocket defensively speaking last year in Castle Avenue. He'll be looking at trying to impress today because he knows his body is physically ready, but play wise he's very much an old school 2nd centre, has great feet and hands and runs simple but effective lines, most importantly he's a really clever defender and can make impressive attackers look average. Don't expect any scintillating breaks or whatever, however he reads Reid very well and has scored a good few just by riding Reid's shoulder well.

The likes of Ringrose will take a few years of well planned conditioning before its his time. He won't get big over the summer, it just doesn't work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

.ak wrote: »
    The likes of Ringrose will take a few years of well planned conditioning before its his time. He won't get big over the summer, it just doesn't work like that.

He won't get "big" but he'll get his appearances I'm sure of it.

Another player who has a ways to go conditioning wise is Ross Molony, but he's a guy who's been dipped into the Pro12 this season and will get more game-time next season as well.

Hagz wrote: »
    He won't get "big" but he'll get his appearances I'm sure of it.

Another player who has a ways to go conditioning wise is Ross Molony, but he's a guy who's been dipped into the Pro12 this season and will get more game-time next season as well.

Oh yeah, totally, you want these guys getting the odd appearance despite not being at their physical peak, you don't learn to be an excellent rugby player in the gym.

But my point was that guys like Ringrose won't be getting regular squad appearances for a few seasons and not to get impatient over it. He should get some odd appearances over the RWC tho hopefully.

I notice that 'leinster live' social media page have removed that MOC out petition after it backfired with a pretty big out cry from the fans. Good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Does BBC ALBA only come on when they have something on? It says there's a technical fault with the channel at the moment

Edit: Nevermind, settings were old it seems. Here are the new ones:

BBC Alba
    Frequency: 10803
    Polarity: H
    Symbol Rate: 22000
    FEC: 5/6 (Optional)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement