Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if I stopped doing work I'm not paid to do.

Options
  • 31-03-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I'm working in a bar and over the past year lots has changed. Our manager was sacked, our replacement manager has moved to another site and I've been left with everything to do. Our manager replacement is area manager and chips in when he can but I do absolutely everything, rotas, payrolls, orders, invoicing, bookings, customer complaints, staff requests, everything. Everyone goes to me and I sign off on everything. I'm still, technically a Front of House supervisor and nothing more.

I don't mind the work and I got a little raise before Christmas, but to be fair, so did everyone. Our bar is tiny but is hugely popular (top 10 in UK, top 10 in the world of another magazine or two) averaging 80 booking requests a day, don't get me started on the Christmas rush which I single handedly managed without any complaints.

The head office is hugely incompetent. I refuse to get dragged into a salary negotiation as they always offer insulting offers and don't budge on them. If I broke down the salary they've offered to other members on different sites, I would be paid considerably less than I am now considering the hours I work. I will stick to been paid hourly due to the hours I clock a week (50-60+). What I'm asking for is pittance considering, not just my workload, but what I am actually achieving, complete management of one of the most popular bars in the British Isles (no joke).

I have formally asked my area manager (who is on my side) for an hourly pay rise. It is really about principle really. I have recently qualified in another field which I hope to be joining very soon and leaving the bar but not for another 2 months or so.

If they say no, I would like to just stop what I'm doing and do what I'm contracted to do, Front of House Supervisor, nothing more. No orders (we're a craft beer bar and I'm the only one who knows anything about it and all the suppliers/breweries deal with me personally), no bookings (80 emails a day, unanswered), no payrolls, no invoicing, nothing. Any question that comes to me I will direct to a manager...which there isn't any.

Can they do anything to me for this? If they do, can that be seen as constructive dismissal? I mean, I'm doing someone else's job and getting no recognition for it, paid or otherwise. I aimed to be out of this job a long time ago, however these things happen but as I said my new qualification has given me a path out. I don't want to be a díck but I'm just sick of them using me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

First of all, fair play to you for doing all that extra work, its a real testament of your skills and experience, however its not much comfort to you if you are doing 3 positions and only getting paid for one. I would not advise you to suddenly go cold turkey and stick exactly and rigidly to your core duties as a Front of House Manager as that will only make you look bad to your superiors and inevitably, when they ring you up asking why orders and profits are down, if you suddenly pull the "its not my job" card, you are going to look very unprofessional and a lot of clients are going to shun the business on the back of your ignoring all emails and en quires.

Instead, trawl industry standard for not only the average salary for your job position but also core duties. I would request a meeting straight away with your manager and insist on being paid not only a fair wage for your duties but also make it clear that you are not going to continue to do tasks which clearly fall into a different position. That puts the ball firmly in their court to initiate change and you should also bring a written copy of your requests to them in case of any misunderstanding PLUS request a written response. This gives you strength. If you dont get a response in a sufficient time, follow up once more, if they still stall then yes, drop all the other tasks and only do what you are paid for.

That way, constructive dismissal (if it came to that) has a chance because that only works IF you have brought your concerns to your superior AND allowed sufficient time for a response. If they wont help you, then you are forced to only do your duties and nothing else. They will then either hire the appropriate staff or fire you, at which point you have a strong case. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you are planning on leaving in the next couple of months I'd just suck it up and work through to the end. If you were staying in the job longer and didn't have the new options you do then I would rock the boat. No point in souring a good reference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

gandalf wrote: »
    If you are planning on leaving in the next couple of months I'd just suck it up and work through to the end. If you were staying in the job longer and didn't have the new options you do then I would rock the boat. No point in souring a good reference at this stage.

I'd agree with this. They are going to feel the loss once you leave anyway. You could waste the next two months taking on negotiation as another task, get nowhere, and then have to leave anyway! Stick it out, be fully deserving of a glowing reference from the area manager who is fully aware of the extra work you put in, and then let them figure it out the hard way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Thanks everyone. I've put in a final call for an answer from them after they have ignored me for so long. I'll wait and see what they say. References aren't an issue, my area manager has me covered in that regard. More and more staff are leaving due to the attitude of head office. I will literally be the last supervisor (who also moonlights as manager) in two weeks. They don't seem to be seeing what's happening to their company. If i stop, they fall and they don't even see it. I'll wait to see what their response is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement