Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to know when a tyre is for the bin?

• 31-03-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Got my first flat on continental grand prix tyres tonight.. There's about 500miles on the them. The cut looks bad enough. I attached some pics. Would appreciate some opinions on them.

The last pic is what the tyre looks like with a new tube pumped to 110-120psi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Plenty of life left in that tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Plenty of life left in that tyre.

Was worried the inner tube might bulge through the slit when it rolls over that point of the tyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Doesn't look that bad to me. If ur worried put that tyre on the rear wheel. Better to get a pincture on the rear wheel than the front one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jon1981 wrote: »
    Was worried the inner tube might bulge through the slit when it rolls over that point of the tyre
    Look on the inside. If the hole goes all the way through that's bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lumen wrote: »
    Look on the inside. If the hole goes all the way through that's bad.

This.. And if the inside wall isn't damaged then (when the tyre is deflated) drop some puncture glue into the cut and allow to dry before inflating the tyre again, that usually helps close the slit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This.. And if the inside wall isn't damaged then (when the tyre is deflated) drop some puncture glue into the cut and allow to dry before inflating the tyre again, that usually helps close the slit.

And stick a patch on the inside of the tyre too just to be sure (and fit the tyre on the rear)

A few people have mentioned sticking the tyre on the back, is this to prevent me going over the top as it will be more prone to a blow out or something different? I thought with the weight on the back tyre this would not be a good idea?

Actually can anyone recommend a tyre sealant glue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jon1981 wrote: »
    A few people have mentioned sticking the tyre on the back, is this to prevent me going over the top as it will be more prone to a blow out or something different? I thought with the weight on the back tyre this would not be a good idea?

The front wheel determines direction. If the tyre blows and you loose the ability to steer then you might be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

crosstownk wrote: »
    The front wheel determines direction. If the tyre blows and you loose the ability to steer then you might be in trouble.

Not to mention that the force of the blowout might throw you off course in and of itself. One's arse being over a blowout tends to dampen the effect of that, due the added weight. This is also before considering that the use of the front wheel to steer also means that it inherently has freedom to pivot, which is bad in a blowout.

Now I'm scared, better swap them round! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And stick a patch on the inside of the tyre too just to be sure (and fit the tyre on the rear)

This is useful. I had to bin a tyre with a bigger cut than this because the inner edges of the cut were chafing the tube and puncturing every 40k or so. Patching the inside of the tyre kept the replacement at bay for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

New wheels is your only man, if that doesn't work then new bike should sort it..

Advertisement