Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bureaucracy & utility of health insurance

Options
  • 31-03-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I've had private health insurance for 20 years. I've only had to make claims from one health insurer, but the bureaucracy is such that it would make the civil service jealous. It seems that their main aim is to prevent you finding out what you need to know as regards coverage, and then to get out of paying out any money whatsoever. I'm seriously reconsidering whether I need to pay the 251 per month, as I'd be 13,000 in profit if I'd just paid my way in cash as needed, and saved the rest.

What do people think? Is health insurance actually necessary?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it can be very useful for getting seen quickly, when I didn't have it my consultant appointment was made for over a year away. You can pay your own way of course but anything serious that you expedite would cost a lot. It's just a game of odds, nobody wants to be sick or is sick all the time but when you do get sick it's nice to have everything covered and fast moving.

251pm sounds like you have too expensive of a plan, there are diminishing returns after a point.

A good quote I read on here "I'm lucky enough to be able to afford private health insurance, and even luckier that I've gotten very bad value out of it for the past few years."

We would all be getting pissed off spending money like that and seeing nothing, but it's a good thing. Heres a thread on peoples thoughts: A guy couldnt walk with pain, was told they would contact him in 6 weeks to talk about, just talk about scheduling a surgery, as it was non life threatening. When he said he had VHI it was done a week later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82161884

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

From what you have told us you have a very expensive plan. I have some experience in this area and I have helped family and friends in regards to health insurance.
    If you let me know your age, the plan you have and what company it is with I can look up the www.hia.ie to see what other plans could suit you.

Do you need to claim back for doctor,consultant visits? Do you need a private room in a private hospital or in a high tech hospital ie the mater private/blackrock clinic?

Advertisement