Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gimmie stuff to do in the big shmoke

Options
  • 31-03-2015 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

I've some time off from work to burn so I've booked Thurs-Sat this week in Dublin; nice and handy and an hours drive down the road.

Despite heading to Dublin on the rip plenty of times each year, not once have I done anything remotely cultural/informative/touristy.

Bearing in mind its Good Friday slap bang in the middle too, i'm open to all suggestions for things to do, real and bogus.

Hit me with your suggestion sticks.

Comments

Moved to the big shmoke forum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

just some ideas that spring to mind.
    I'm sure others will add way more!

Little museum of Dublin
    The 'Dead Zoo' - National History Museum off Merrion Sq
    The National Art Gallery
    ESB'sHouse Number 29
    Walk around St Stephens Green / Merrion Square.
    Get the Dart up to Howth and walk the pier / get lunch.
    Guinness Tour - sure, see what all the fuss is about.
    Hire a bike around Phoenix Park - go to the zoo.
    Get the Viking splash tour - great craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dead zoo is good. Huge lane gallery is really good since its modern art and not full of creepy regilous ones like the national gallery.

The botanic gardens is nice with the spring flowers. Collins baracks is good if you like irish hertiage

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Viking Splash! Also, the Science Gallery has a good exhibition on right now. Guinness Storehouse, and/or Jameson distillery. Check out Trip Advisor for things to do in Dublin!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Glasnevin Cemetery if you're into the history of independence or emancipation. It has a nice visitor's centre too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nim wrote: »
    Glasnevin Cemetery if you're into the history of independence or emancipation. It has a nice visitor's centre too.

Yep and they are doing Easter Revolutionary tours this weekend if that's something you are interested in - I'd say book in advance though, they'll be obviously busy. I'd recommend heading to the Gravediggers pub after for a toastie and a drink :) There is also a gate through to the Botanic Gardens from the cemetery too so you can visit both if you like. There is a cafe in both the Glasnevin Museum and in the Botanic Gardens if you prefer tea and a sandwich to a pint and a toastie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

whiskeyman wrote: »

Little museum of Dublin
    The 'Dead Zoo' - National History Museum off Merrion Sq
    The National Art Gallery
    ESB'sHouse Number 29
    Walk around St Stephens Green / Merrion Square.
    Get the Dart up to Howth and walk the pier / get lunch.
    Get the Viking splash tour - great craic!

The Little Museum is a great spot, book online and you get about 40% off, it'd be worth timing the free tour aswell so all can be explained to you

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some great suggestions, much appreciated. Viking splash and The Little Musuem look great, as does the Dead Zoo. Will hit the Storehouse tomorrow more than likely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Don't bother with the Guinness tour. You'll regret it. Do the Jameson tour. I've done both. Didn't want to leave the Jameson distillery. There's a 7D place on Capel Street I think. It's only a fiver and is a fun 5minutes. It's on the way into town from Jameson too, I think. Wax museum is good.

I'm from Kerry so maybe someone else can give proper directions if I'm wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

There's a leprechaun museum with big chairs that make you feel like a small leprechaun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

dobman88 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the Guinness tour. You'll regret it. Do the Jameson tour. I've done both. Didn't want to leave the Jameson distillery. There's a 7D place on Capel Street I think. It's only a fiver and is a fun 5minutes. It's on the way into town from Jameson too, I think. Wax museum is good.

I'm from Kerry so maybe someone else can give proper directions if I'm wrong.

Ah to be honest I've a fascination with Guinness, I served it for 14 years and perfected what I would class as the perfect pint, I need to see how the "pros" do it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

There's a leprechaun museum with big chairs that make you feel like a small leprechaun.

I knew I forgot something. That's a laugh and is literally on the Jervis luas stop. The storyteller was cool too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

I knew I forgot something. That's a laugh and is literally on the Jervis luas stop. The storyteller was cool too.

I've never been but I saw a lealet while in Dublin last week and want to go. And googling more information now, I passed right by it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Do you know the 5 Lamps OP? :D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 LookLordSugar

Please tell me you're joking? I used to look the other way when I worked around there as it made me cringe so much. I wish there was some kind of Ministry of Taste that could shut these places down. Like the tourist shops selling absolutely horrible tat like drink feck arse girls t-shirts and, Keep Calm It'll be Grand!!!

Anyway... I'd love to do the Guinness tour too as I'm from Dublin and a functioning alcoholic, the alcohol usually being Guinness, the function being going to work every day. Love the stuff.

Howth is nice, if it's a clear day walk around the peninsula starting in the village, it's better than any museum or tour in my opinion and has world class scenery (on a clear day).

Advertisement