Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible broadband speed in the evenings

Options
  • 31-03-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

For the last few months my broadband as become nearly unusable in the evening  for anything other than light browsing on the net .I ran a speed test and got and a result of .26 mbps and get 7 mbps during the day.Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

11James11 wrote: »
    Hi,

For the last few months my broadband as become nearly unusable in the evening for anything other than light browsing on the net .I ran a speed test and got and a result of .26 mbps and get 7 mbps during the day.Is there anything that can be done to fix this issue ?
    Hi 11James11

Really sorry to hear this. Would you like to PM me your tele no & I will look into this for you.

Thanks

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If your on eFibre have a look at this (it probably wont cheer you up)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057315815

heroics wrote: »
    If your on eFibre have a look at this (it probably wont cheer you up)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057315815
    Hi Heroics, the issues raised in that thread are largely resolved now - are you currently experiencing issues yourself?

Cheers
    Al

Hi James.

Thanks for your PM, I've looked in to your line for slow speeds and I see that there is indeed an issue with the line itself. My test results indicate that there's a fault located externally on the line and this would certainly be causing the difficulties you are experiencing.

This will need to be logged to engineers to asses and resolve. Please contact the broadband support centre to report this.

You can contact technical support on 1890260260.

However I highly recommend logging the fault here: https://www.eircom.net/logafault.jsp or online via WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Once the issue is logged for engineers the average time frame for a full resolution can take up to 3 working days,

Thanks

- Al

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Hi Alan

Sent you another pm with an update on the problem.

• Advertisement

Hi Alan

Sent you another pm with an update on the problem.
    Hi 11James11

I can confirm that the issues are unfortunately a result of congestion[font=Calibri","sans-serif]. As your line is served by an exchange which has yet to be upgraded to next generation broadband (NGB) congestion at peak times will unfortunately be expected.

Ultimately the more people online in your area the slower speeds will be. There is nothing that can prevent your speeds fluctuating at times (especially at peak usage times in your area) until your exchange is upgraded to next generation broadband (NGB).  At present your current broadband subscription allow for a max download speed of ‘up to’ 7Mb and the 'up to' is advised on reflection of this and other causes such as WIFI range etc.

At present there are no plans in place to suggest when your exchange will be upgraded to NGB however newer plans should be available Towards October and hopefully I can offer you better news then

Thanks
    Al
    [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

7 months on and still the same problem every evening but recently I have also being having problems with the broadband disconnecting randomly (red light showing on router).I have logged a fault over a week ago but haven't heard  back from eircom regarding this issue.Any reps able to help me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

7 months on and still the same problem every evening but recently I have also being having problems with the broadband disconnecting randomly (red light showing on router).I have logged a fault over a week ago but haven't heard  back from eircom regarding this issue.Any reps able to help me ?
    Hi 11James11

Sorry to hear this, as I have previously detailed, the congestion creating slow speeds at peak times (mostly in the evenings) cannot be improved until major upgrades are made to the exchange in your area. Connection loss should not occur so if you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to look in to this and check the status of the fault you have logged.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement