Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising rents !!

Options
  • 31-03-2015 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Shocking rentals in last month compared to 2-3 months before....is this the highest ever in ireland ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My rent has not been changed in the 3 years since I moved in, I know it is the west, but I pay a pittance for a large modern apartment compared to other friends of mine around the country living in similar sized dwellings. I must of been lucky though, as the prices for even the mankiest looking places is about €50 - €100 dearer now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

tharmor wrote: »
    Shocking rentals in last month compared to 2-3 months before....is this the highest ever in ireland ??

It was getting close to peak / 2007 rents a few months ago, so a new record high for dublin is certainly on the cards.

Not saying its rational in any way, but that seems to be how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

It's unreal, my friend just moving to Berlin-apartment with the bills -400€ there, shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The way it's going may be cheaper to live down at the hotel, motel, holiday-inn. Or even just buy a motorhome.

Few years ago when contracting in LDN found a 4* that offered 1wk for £125, included full fry-up in the mornings and this was in W1/2. Only there in early am and late pm due to long working hours, so suited grand for for 6wks, legitimate tax-compliant offsetting also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

So is dublin the costliest rental city in EU ? Cant find a decent double bedroom for 1500 on the dart line down south..imagine giving that much money and also compromising on some features and facilities..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I wonder how many young professionals without ties in Dublin take jobs in Dublin because of the higher pay but completely fail to factor in the higher cost of living. Our huge urbanisation push seems to all be heading straight for Dublin which of course is going to cause huge rent increases as demand further outstrips supply.

Have any of you complaining about the high rent considered moving to other urban centres such as Cork, Galway or Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well, I am from Dublin and working in Dublin, but would be happy to live in the other cities. But would imagine Galway and Cork can be as expensive? Another factor that rarely gets mentioned is rent relief has fallen dramatically in recent years, it would be fantastic if a measure was introduced whereby you could claim back income tax if your rent went over a certain level every year. I am looking for a new place now and I will probably have to spend almost 40% of my take home wage on rent. And I probably won't get anywhere decent for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Eldarion wrote: »
    I wonder how many young professionals without ties in Dublin take jobs in Dublin because of the higher pay but completely fail to factor in the higher cost of living. Our huge urbanisation push seems to all be heading straight for Dublin which of course is going to cause huge rent increases as demand further outstrips supply.

Have any of you complaining about the high rent considered moving to other urban centres such as Cork, Galway or Limerick?

I have and most likely will. For my profession the pay is the same if not better in rural areas due to most wanting to be in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

tharmor wrote: »
    So is dublin the costliest rental city in EU ? Cant find a decent double bedroom for 1500 on the dart line down south..imagine giving that much money and also compromising on some features and facilities..

Not by a long, long, long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

I was recently paying €400 for a 900sq ft apartment in a very nice area. Inc maintenance and bins.

I'm not in Dub. Looks like rising rents are a localised problem.

If you want to save €12k a year, you could move? For some, it would be worth it. Dub is 1.5hrs by car or train from here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement