Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mudguards for a road bike

• 31-03-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Noticed on my daily commute the variation of commuters on their trusty steady the amount of people who don't use mudgaurds. I currently use these unsightly beasts on the road bike even tough I have full bike gear on. Just wondering do many of the daily commuters faced the grease without mudgaurds and for those that use them what is the mudgaurd of choice !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Noticed on my daily commute the variation of commuters on their trusty steady the amount of people who don't use mudgaurds. I currently use these unsightly beasts on the road bike even tough I have full bike gear on. Just wondering do many of the daily commuters faced the grease without mudgaurds and for those that use them what is the mudgaurd of choice !

Mudguards are a must on a commuter. I use crud racer II - works a dream, cycled home in the rain last night - goretex overshoes, leggings and a pertex top. Dry as a bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Have a race blade on the back wheel (the front one fell off need to fix it)
    ugly as sin and I dream of long hot summers when I can take it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Have a race blade on the back wheel (the front one fell off need to fix it)
    ugly as sin and I dream of long hot summers when I can take it off

Are you emigrating, perchance? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

cython wrote: »
    Are you emigrating, perchance? :pac:

Just a dreamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

I use the BBB clip ins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I spent 4 hours on a club spin on Sunday, and I have to say it pretty much debunked the idea that it is more courteous to have mudguards when in a group spin. When I was behind people with guards on the spray seemed worse, more directed right at my face or something. So I bought an ass saver for myself and am going to leave it at that.

With commuter definitely need guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I got these

https://www.philiplangcycles.co.uk/accessories/Etc...-mudguards-cliponroad

you install a small metal bracket behind the front and back brakes, these things then clip onto that bracket, mudguards can be removed in seconds (bracket stays there). The only issue is the bracket comes a little close to the tyre, so it's fiddly when you need to take the tyre off because you need to leave a small gap between the tyre and the bracket, otherwise it rubs, to makes locking the wheel more fiddly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

SKS Chromoplastics on the Winter Bike/Commuter.

They are the bees knees.

Race Blades on the good bike for a little time as I can get away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

After years being frsutrated by mudguards Iv'e adopted the same approach as Boardsmember, got an ass saver, and will leave it at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I use an ass saver too, great little invention and does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I spent 4 hours on a club spin on Sunday, and I have to say it pretty much debunked the idea that it is more courteous to have mudguards when in a group spin. When I was behind people with guards on the spray seemed worse, more directed right at my face or something. So I bought an ass saver for myself and am going to leave it at that.

With commuter definitely need guards.

Use the BBB Clip-ins on the commuter and just fitted a pair of brackets on the road bike so I can swop them over if needed. Heard them described as "greedy bastards" on a sportif by a club rider for the reason mentioned above! Full length mudguards with flaps are probably the only ones that work for both the cyclist and the guys behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

BBB Clip ons. I cant stand being behind people on a group spin without something to stop me getting a face full of dirt. One of the main reasons I wear glasses all year round. It's the crud that gets in your mouth that bothers me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

SKS Raceblades (Long) on my Boardman and am very happy with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

lennymc wrote: »
    After years being frsutrated by mudguards Iv'e adopted the same approach as Boardsmember, got an ass saver, and will leave it at that

Always found the wet feet from the front wheel to be a much more annoying problem than wet back.

Use full length sks on the commuter/trainer. Have tried race blades etc in the past but don't find they last terribly long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've Crud MKII's on my winter bike and they're brilliant and make cycking in the wet/rain enjoyable. Nothing on my good bike as I don't take it out if it's raining or wet or looks like it'll rain (as it'll melt) which means my winter bike get a lot more use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I've Crud MKII's on my winter bike and they're brilliant and make cycking in the wet/rain enjoyable. Nothing on my good bike as I don't take it out if it's raining or wet or looks like it'll rain (as it'll melt) which means my winter bike get a lot more use.

I have eyelets on my road bike. can anyone recommend a granny style mudguard in carbon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Where's the cheapest place in Dublin to buy and get Crud Roadracers fitted?

Halfords have them for €32 but don't say how much "Low cost fitting by fully trained professionals" actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Halfords have them for €32 but don't say how much "Low cost fitting by fully trained professionals" actually is.

That's a very good price. Go get em and learn how to fit them yourself. They're not hard at all. Think of them as an Ikea-style mudguard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

cdaly_ wrote: »
    That's a very good price. Go get em and learn how to fit them yourself. They're not hard at all. Think of them as an Ikea-style mudguard...

They're fiddly to put on and not an exact science (I found that they would go out of shape if anything leant against them but would have straightened out by the time I cycled for 5/10 mins or so with some adjustments at traffic lights).

I used this as makes it a lot easier than the printed instructions and no more than a 30 minute job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrB6DRk2cwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Remember Halfords have 20% off, so reserve them at your local store, get the discount, collect tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I use the Crud Roadracer Mk2's myself. They can be quite delicate when setting up to run true and a small knock seems to set them off. I use two rubber bands on the mounting brackets that attach to the forks, and this seems to help a lot. I have roof mounted the bike with the Race blades on set up this way, and not lost the support arms. I did take off the rear ends though as they are delicate. I like them as they have a wrap around where they meet the chain stay on the drive side, and this does seem to keep a lot of gunk out of the crank set. The chain stay does get quite dirty at this point though, as all the gunk is drained out here. They mount very close to the wheel, and some bigger items of debris can get caught between the tyre and the mud guard, which leads to some noise. I do like them though. Takes some fiddling to set up correctly, and do use the felt attachments that come with them, as they help reduce the chances of them making contact with the tyre.
    I used to use a set of Giant fenders for the Rapid/Defy that fit to the brake calliper mounts, but they were quite narrow, and I found that spray was still a problem with those, as well as gunk in the crank set. Here is a link to videos to help fitting.
    http://www.crudproducts.com/product-videos/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You could always ask them how much their fitting cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

but don't say how much "Low cost fitting by fully trained professionals" actually is.

Have a go yourself. It is essentially 3 cable ties and 4 elastic bands. I posted a link to videos on my last comment.

Advertisement