Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed. Want to return into 3rd year of 4 year course in Sept 2016 after 9 years.

Options
  • 31-03-2015 9:34pm

Alright, here's my situation. After 7 years in a 6 month summer job that turned into a full-time job I clung onto in the recession (menial job, reasonable entry level pay, nothing to do with what I studied), I spent 6 months in Canada on an IEC (construction labourer, trained monkey work). Due to family reasons I returned home, expecting to find a job reasonably handy enough to earn the money to return. That hasn't happened. I'm stuck in the "No experience? No job. No job? No experience." bracket.

But to bring this back to education, I have a Higher National Diploma in Mech Engineering. I found out an extra two years full-time would get me my Honours Degree. I've changed a hell of a lot since I sat the last exam (tried for the Ordinary Degree, passed some modules, but had to give up as the recession took hold.) and I think I would up my work a big notch if I got back in.

I am currently unemployed, and have no real funds to speak of as of right now. I want to return to 3rd year in my alma mater to finish my degree in September 2016. Is it reasonable to think I can get a job & earn enough to go full time for at least part of it by then, or should I forget about fulltime & go open university altogether? I'd love to return to Canada to finish my IEC, but I will be in Ireland once I finish that, and if I have to forget Canada altogether than so be it.

tldr; I am unemployed & effectively penniless right now. I have a HND in Mech Eng. What can I do right now so that in Sept 2016, I'm walking into my alma mater to Year 3 of my Honours Degree in Mech Eng?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You could try a springboard course depending on the sector.
    There are lots of level 7,8 and 9 courses out there. Some require you tO have credits . others work on life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I'd contact the alma mater and see what they suggest. :) There's no point spending energy and time doing something this year if its not going to get you what you want in 2016. Talk to the head of the Engineering dept in your old college and ask them what they need you to have before giving you entry to year three. 9 years is a long time in education these days and there may have been changes to your original course that could require you to redo bits you've already covered.
    Tatranska's suggestion of Springboard is great and there possibly could be something on it to suit but I'd check it with the college first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am in my final year of my engineering course, and to be honest you could be in for a very tough time of it joining a course in third year without completing some of the modules required in 1st and 2nd year. There have been big changes in the way colleges teach some of the modules.

The amount of time and training that students are given in 3d drawing packages such as inventor etc, now is a big step up from where it was before. Obviously it depends on what modules you completed before but you could find it difficult.

Advertisement