Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright star/planet tonight question

Options
  • 31-03-2015 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    tried a android app with a sky map but don't quite trust it, was wondering if someone here could enlighten me...

Bright object in the sky, WNW of limerick city, 10 pm. Lowish. Seems very bright in comparison to everything else. Not ISS afaik, not moving.
    Can anyone tell me what it is? (I know very little about stars etc) Jut curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hiya,

More than likely it is the planet Venus. It is very prominent in the western sky as twilight descends but has sunk much lower by the time of your sighting. I noticed Jupiter aways to the upper right of the Moon this evening as well. Jupiter is a bright fresh-cream coloured "star" and high in the southern sky at the moment.

A good PDF with a chart of the monthly sky can be downloaded from http://www.skymaps.com while my free night sky calendar for 2015 is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqg5otrcyrzwc44/astro_calendar_2015_final.pdf?dl=1

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Thanks! I'll check out those links.

404 on the dropbox link for me. I've haven't used it much before - do I need an account to access that link?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Yup that's working now - thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's a pretty handy interactive sky map here that allows you to set your location, date and time and have a look around the sky. It should make it easy to identify anything.

Cheers that confirms jfSDAS suggestion of Venus. I knew the skymap on my phone wasn't working right.

Even better - I now know where to look for the Pleiades tonight using Venus as a reference point. That's what kicked off my stargazing a few weeks ago - checking out where the Subaru logo came from!

Advertisement