Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Cabin Crew ( Job Interest )

• 01-04-2015 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey There Everyone!,
    I am on here just to ask a few questions about the job of an air hostess/air steward ,
    I am still currently in Secondary School but I am hoping to go on to be an air steward with Aer Lingus after school before I continue on with my studies!,
    Anyways, First things first:
    1. What is involved in the job?
    2. Do you think it is safe?
    3. Do you REALLY need to be able to swim that well? (I can't)
    4. When you are starting off do you get put on a short flight or a long flight?
    5. How long do you actually work? eg - Do you get days off here and there , Do you get put on a flight EVERY day or just a few times a week?

Thanks Guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Here's a link that might help:
    http://careers.aerlingus.com/careers-in-the-air/cabin-crew/

Also this is an old thread about the process:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92966108

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kevinmcnamara

Hello there,,i just sent ya a private message with some info to your questions above..good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hey There Everyone!,
    I am on here just to ask a few questions about the job of an air hostess/air steward ,
    I am still currently in Secondary School but I am hoping to go on to be an air steward with Aer Lingus after school before I continue on with my studies!,
    Anyways, First things first:
    1. What is involved in the job?
    2. Do you think it is safe?
    3. Do you REALLY need to be able to swim that well? (I can't)
    4. When you are starting off do you get put on a short flight or a long flight?
    5. How long do you actually work? eg - Do you get days off here and there , Do you get put on a flight EVERY day or just a few times a week?

Thanks Guys.

1. A training course, lots of learning off by heart and many exams, lots of unsocial hours, and constantly dealing with people, constantly thinking of safety.
    2. Yes I feel very safe at work, I trust my colleagues allot and I trust my airline.
    3.Yes you really need to be able to swim, this is part of an exam and in a real life ditching(landing on water)(See US airways hudson landing) you will be considered the onboard lifeguard.
    4.This depends on the airline, but generally short flights.
    5.I work on average 5days on 2 days off 5 days on 3days off but this can change. You may not fly on every working day, you may spend it at home on call. You may do 8 flight a week, or 10 or maybe even 4 or 5 it all varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Hi There Again,
    See my last post titled: Aer Lingus Air Steward (Job Interest) ,
    Just a follow up question:
    When you are training to become a member of cabin crew , Do you get to wear a life jacket during the swimming part of the course??
    P.S. I cannot swim AT ALL but as long as I have something to float on i'm ok.
    Thanks Again!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hi There Again,
    When you are training to become a member of cabin crew , Do you get to wear a life jacket during the swimming part of the course??
    Thanks Again!.

Learn to swim it's basic enough stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Hi There Again,
    Thanks Again!.

Please use the thread you have already not a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I know a girl who couldn't get through medical for a cabin crew job because of anaemia, she put herself through a diet from hell, got her self an exercise plan, with all the meds, lifestyle changes and so on, year later with hard work and intense effort, she was deemed fit and now has been a member of cabin crew for about 3 years or so..

if you really want it, work for it.. some people learn to fly, don't tell me you can't learn to swim!

It's time to learn to swim, it might save your life someone else's life and in years to come you children's life. Too many people die having dived into water trying to save someone's life not knowing how to swim and both end up dying. It doesn't take long to learn and get good at.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As pointed out above;
    You must pass a swimming proficiency test to pass your cabin crew trainng. You will be expected to jump into a pool and swim, you will not have a life jacket.

If you cannot swim unaided then you will not pass the training. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

The swim test my company gives is the same as the one for the CC you must swim 50 meters unaided 25m down the pool and 25m back. Then tread water unaided for one minute.

Remember you will be asked to wear clothes for this test. After treading water you will be given a life jacket for the life jacket skills tests.

My advice is learn to swim its only getting cheaper and may save your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Never knew swimming would be a requirement of cabin crew?

Apart from the Hudson incident has there ever been another modern example where it was needed.

I don't get the lifejackets on planes either, how often have they been needed over the years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

elastico wrote: »
    Never knew swimming would be a requirement of cabin crew?

Apart from the Hudson incident has there ever been another modern example where it was needed.

I don't get the lifejackets on planes either, how often have they been needed over the years?

There's a few listed on http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_landing

Like the majority of safety equipment on commercial aircraft today, the requirement to have said equipment on board comes from incidents and accidents that have resulted in loss of life in the past.

Advertisement