Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny chants

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

And such a limited repertoire of songs most of which have been around for some time:

Sloop John B - Beach Boys

Go West - PSB or Village People

Guantanamero - ?

Oh my darling Clementine - ?

You can easily get a full 90 minutes + time added on for those 4 alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Knex. wrote: »
    And if you look really closely, you'll notice that those chants are just reworded songs.

Outrageous, Ted.

Wouldn't it be nice to commemorate those people - by keeping their music alive?
    Suppose we were to borrow that tune for our chant. It would help us out and commemorate their memory at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

And if you look really closely, you'll notice that those chants are just reworded songs.

Outrageous, Ted.

Not really the point I was making whatsoever, but if you felt clever typing this then fair play to you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Intifada wrote: »
    Not really the point I was making whatsoever, but if you felt clever typing this then fair play to you :pac:

Who's to say that x fans didn't actually copy y fans, but instead just reworded the original song in isolation?

I think its a trivial enough thing to be giving out about, imo, when all chants are just changing the words around to actual songs.

Unless you're simply giving out about chants such as "players name, he scores when he wants, ____, he scores when he wants", etc, which are heard in most grounds around the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I wonder do people know that most of the chants they're posting are just nicked off other clubs with the player/club name swapped in. Something English clubs are awful for I've found.

No, we never realized that.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Who's to say that x fans didn't actually copy y fans, but instead just reworded the original song in isolation?

I think its a trivial enough thing to be giving out about, imo, when all chants are just changing the words around to actual songs.
    When you're completely copying patter off someone else it becomes less good. Diminishing returns and all that.

Take that Maxi Rodriguez one above for example. It's been done before, Brighton fans with Elliot Bennet for exampe, They've just put Maxi's name there.

Not saying you can't put a fresh spin on chants, just grates me a bit when I see fans patting themselves on the back over the 1000th cookie cutter chant that plagues English football. Originality is always better IMO, and just because you're taking the tune from a pop song or something doesn't mean it's not original in this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

When you're completely copying patter off someone else it becomes less good. Diminishing returns and all that.

Take that Maxi Rodriguez one above for example. It's been done before, Brighton fans with Elliot Bennet for exampe, They've just put Maxi's name there.

Not saying you can't put a fresh spin on chants, just grates me a bit when I see fans patting themselves on the back over the 1000th cookie cutter chant that plagues English football. Originality is always better IMO, and just because you're taking the tune from a pop song or something doesn't mean it's not original in this context.

Tbh, that Maxi chant was one of my favourites. I don't think too many Liverpool fans are bothered, or perhaps even knew, that Brighton did it before.

I get your point, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

One I remember that makes me laugh to this is the time LFC played Newcastle and the Liverpool fans starting singing to Alan shearer that he should have stayed on the Telly.

"Stayed on the Telly , you should have stayed on the Telly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

From one of the previous song threads.

Now that is good, funny, imaginative and original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I remember hearing about a funny chant where the fans where singing to the opposition team. Lets use this as an example

Aston Villa fans chanting to QPR fans

"you're going down, you're going down, you're going down"

QPR fans sing back

"so are we, so are we, so are we"

Cant remember what two teams where involved but you get the drift....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When Liverpool beat Crystal Palace 9-0 in the 80s, the Palace fans chanted...

'Oh lucky, lucky,
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky Liverpool.'

Best bunch of fans i ever came across, tbh. Hope they stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

When Liverpool beat Crystal Palace 9-0 in the 80s, the Palace fans chanted...

'Oh lucky, lucky,
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky Liverpool.'

Best bunch of fans i ever came across, tbh. Hope they stay up.

They are on 39 pts easily safe already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dun laoire wrote: »
    I remember hearing about a funny chant where the fans where singing to the opposition team. Lets use this as an example

Aston Villa fans chanting to QPR fans

"you're going down, you're going down, you're going down"

QPR fans sing back

"so are we, so are we, so are we"

Cant remember what two teams where involved but you get the drift....

In similar self-deprecating vein, Man City fans when City were losing & about to be relegated to League 1 (those were the days...):

"Are you watching
    Are you watching
    Are you watching, Macclesfield
    Are you watching, Macclesfield"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Newcastle - Liverpool game well after Bellamys alledged texts to Shearer ...

Newcastle fans everytime bellamy got near the ball....

"Shearer says you're ****!"

Advertisement