Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BofI ATM swallowed my card

• 01-04-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I used my Lloyds debit card in the ATM at Bank of Ireland Grand Canal Dock last night and the ATM swallowed my card. I have used this card at that ATM before, there are funds in the account and I have never had an issue. How can I go about recovering my card ASAP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

happened to me before (card swallowed by atm)
    Any chance you can get to the branch this morning ? before they send it to HQ

When i arrived at branch they will able to hand it back when they opened atm

hope that helps!

bring id

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Merkin wrote: »
    I used my Lloyds debit card in the ATM at Bank of Ireland Grand Canal Dock last night and the ATM swallowed my card. I have used this card at that ATM before, there are funds in the account and I have never had an issue. How can I go about recovering my card ASAP?
    Hi Merkin,

Thanks for your post. 

You would need to contact Llyods bank directly to have another debit card issued to you. The card would not be kept by the branch and would be destroyed under international banking rules.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thank you for your response.

But that's wholly unsatisfactory. There was nothing wrong with my card or account so Bank of Ireland is at fault if their machine doesn't work properly surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sarah,

Excluding multiple (incorrect) pin attempts, why would an BOI ATM machine swallow a card?

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,205 ✭✭✭Tow

Leaving the card in the slot too long, buggy software, faulty hardware the list is endless. I have had a BOI NCR ATM spontaneously reboot and eat my card, had my branch courier me out a replacement.  I know the fellow who designed the old BOI Siemens Nixdorf ATMs. He is very proud that his ATMs had a separate safe for the cards so they could be easily retrieved and returned to customers, without opening the main safe.  But those were the days of customer service...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your response.

But that's wholly unsatisfactory. There was nothing wrong with my card or account so Bank of Ireland is at fault if their machine doesn't work properly surely?
    Hi Merkin,

We've been in touch with the branch and have sent you a private message here. Please check your inbox. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thanks Sarah. On foot of your original message however I contacted my branch in the UK, cancelled my card and will have to apply for a new one. I am assuming Bank of Ireland will foot the bill for same? I will now be without a card for 10 working days because of this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bank of Ireland Reps
    Hi Merkin,

We have been in touch with the branch manager of Grand Canal Square who have informed us of a fault in the ATM. They have been able to retrieve your card. 

If you could reply to us here with a contact number and your name, we can then pass this on to the branch in order for them to call you and arrange to give you your card back. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Thanks Sarah. On foot of your original message however I contacted my branch in the UK, cancelled my card and will have to apply for a new one. I am assuming Bank of Ireland will foot the bill for same? I will now be without a card for 10 working days because of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bank of Ireland Reps
    Hi Merkin,

We have been in touch with the branch manager of Grand Canal Square who have informed us of a fault in the ATM. They have been able to retrieve your card. 

If you could reply to us here with a contact number and your name, we can then pass this on to the branch in order for them to call you and arrange to give you your card back. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Merkin,

I've replied to your private message now. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Tow wrote: »
    Leaving the card in the slot too long, buggy software, faulty hardware the list is endless. I have had a BOI NCR ATM spontaneously reboot and eat my card, had my branch courier me out a replacement.  I know the fellow who designed the old BOI Siemens Nixdorf ATMs. He is very proud that his ATMs had a separate safe for the cards so they could be easily retrieved and returned to customers, without opening the main safe.  But those were the days of customer service...

And my next question was going to ask, if your card is swallowed by fault of your own will BOI refund you the cost of getting a replacement card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Tow wrote: »

And my next question was going to ask, if your card is swallowed by fault of your own will BOI refund you the cost of getting a replacement card?
    Hi Lucia Thankful Seller,

Thanks for your post.

Where there is a fault with the card or it is reissued due to a Bank error, then no fee should be charged.
    Janette

• Advertisement

Sorry Janette my post should read "no fault of your own" i.e. there is nothing wrong with the card, there is funds available and the card is swallowed. This is a non BOI card I am asking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi ProjectMoose, 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

Bank of Ireland are happy to review replacement card fees on our customers accounts however, we have no control with regard to fees applied by other banks.  

If your card is swallowed by any banks ATM, you will need to discuss this with your own bank directly. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

I am absolutely disgusted with your level of customer care. No phone call was forthcoming, despite public promises of same. I had to replace my card at great inconvenience because of YOUR technical glitch and I see that my account was in fact debited for the amount of money I attempted to take out before your faulty machine swallowed it. I want an immediate refund for this and I'm staggered that Bank of Ireland Docklands have had my details for two weeks now, are fully aware that they have now got MY money in their possession and have failed to do anything about it. That is in fact theft. I want someone to deal with this immediately and properly or I shall be taking it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I am absolutely disgusted with your level of customer care. No phone call was forthcoming, despite public promises of same. I had to replace my card at great inconvenience because of YOUR technical glitch and I see that my account was in fact debited for the amount of money I attempted to take out before your faulty machine swallowed it. I want an immediate refund for this and I'm staggered that Bank of Ireland Docklands have had my details for two weeks now, are fully aware that they have now got MY money in their possession and have failed to do anything about it. That is in fact theft. I want someone to deal with this immediately and properly or I shall be taking it further.

Similar thing happened myself two years ago in my home village of Clara, Co. Offaly. I had attempted to withdraw €500 and got Jo cash but my card was swallowed and the €500 was taken from my account. Luckily for me my sis in law worked at the bank and she sorted it for me within a couple of days. The €500 was refunded yo my account. I got some fright s €500 is a lot of money to me.

Am I going to get a reply to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Merkin, 

We sincerely apologise for the delay in having one of our advisor's contact you in relation to this matter. We have been in contacted with the branch today and a representative will call you as soon as possible to discuss your query. 

In most cases, when a withdrawal is made at an ATM and funds are not dispensed but still appear as a debit on your account, this will rectify itself once the ATM recalibrates. This normally takes one working day. As this has not happened in your situation, it will be necessary for you to contact your own bank who can raise an ATM dispute request on your behalf. 

Regrettably, we would be unable to investigate this from our side as your account is not held with Bank of Ireland.  

Thanks for your posts. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cropper1010

Same thing happened to my husband last Thursday Feb 2nd in Western Gateway Buildings in Cork.
    He used perm tsb card in BOI atm. He withdrew 60. The 60 was taken out of our account and his card swallowed.
    Other people have reported a fault with this ATM where it sucked in and out debit cards.  
    We contacted Perm TSB and have to pay for replacement card.
    My husband couldnt eat any food that day or pay to get his car out of the car park.
    Disgraceful from BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Same thing happened to my husband last Thursday Feb 2nd in Western Gateway Buildings in Cork.
    He used perm tsb card in BOI atm. He withdrew 60. The 60 was taken out of our account and his card swallowed.
    Other people have reported a fault with this ATM where it sucked in and out debit cards.  
    We contacted Perm TSB and have to pay for replacement card.
    My husband couldnt eat any food that day or pay to get his car out of the car park.
    Disgraceful from BOI
    Hi Cropper1010,

Thank you for your post here on Boards.ie.

We’re sorry to hear your Husbands card was not returned from ATM. If your husband contacts his own bank will need to raise an ATM query in relation to the €60 he did not receive from the withdrawal.

Hope this helps,

Tara C

Advertisement