Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some parts were interesting. The 1st party stuff looked great for the most part. Couldn't care less about Pokemon and there was a fair bit in there. Pikmin 4 looks terrific. The 2D Mario game is different, a bit weird. Need to see more. We didn't see much of the Princess Peach game or Luigi's Mansion 3DS. The Super Mario RPG looks really nice, it seems like a carbon copy of the original, except in 3D, similar to what Link's Awakening did on Switch.

There wasn't much 3rd party stuff. The Batman Trilogy was a nice surprise, but they're old games and I have 2 of them already. There was Sonic. Lots of Indie games, with one YouTuber I know won't be happy, asked for there not to be farm sims and cosy games again in this Direct. Didn't get his wish. Oh there was that Dragon Quest Monsters game, but it's not for me.

But there was no TOTK DLC and no Metroid Prime 4 which only adds to my earlier theory for future hardware at a later Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario Wonder, developed with LSD.

Looks good. But maybe looks and sounds a bit too like NSMB for me. Still, it's a new Mario game, so, can't complain, and it's out this year.

Also, the Sonic game looks like a good update for 2D Sonic.

Lot of fun stuff in that direct.

Can you imagine what they will show as launch games for Switch 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The yo-yo platformer Penny's Big Breakway from the Sonic Mania team (Christian Whitehead included) looks really cool. Hopefully it plays as good as it looks - will be great to see what they can do when liberated from franchise shackles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Never got very far into Mario RPG without losing interest so the remake doesnt really do much for me.

Wonder has potential, but it will need to do more than the trailer showed to convince us that's it's not just New New Super Mario Bros. I think they knew that, by the fact they showed so many elements - the different playable characters, the elephant power-up, the obstacles and villains etc. The trouble is that NSMB Wii U did quite a lot of that kind of thing too.

Will be getting the Metal gear collection, that will be a nice retrospective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm kind of amazed they are including the NES games in the collection. I suppose with Kojima gone they can stop pretending they don't exist. I kind of should go back and try and play Snake's Revenge but that opening area is horrendous and I'm not convinced it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

I thought it was a good Direct that was not necessarily needed but appreciated all the same. It could have easily been one of those Mini ones focusing on Pikmin 4 along with a few reveals and save the rest for a September Direct.

I suppose the announcement of the Peach and Luigi games was to say that the Switch has games in 2024. The footage from Luigi's Mansion 2 was the 3DS, right? Because I was not impressed with Luigi's teeth given how detailed they are on the cover of Luigi's Mansion 3.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder doesn't really roll off the tongue. Would have been cool if they had changed up the 'super Mario bros' part to make it more quirky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if Metal Gear Solids infamous Memory Card 4th wall break will persist into the Switch? Seems unlikely I suppose, but it'd be cool if they recorded some new lines for the re-release.

Never played number 3 so am curious, though 1,000 minutes of cut scenes would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Surprised we've heard nothing about the remake of DQ3 but I'll certainly take more DQM if it's going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The start of 3 is codec and cutscene heavy but after the initial set up it largely leaves you to your own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Excellent direct, delighted with Mario bros wonder.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The American and European ones were different in one part as well. Where we got the bit about tournaments, they got a bit about Nintendo live and some tournaments.

This is meant to be a spiritual successor to the excellent goemon games with a lot of the ex developers on board. It looks incredible. Really hope this makes it to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Personally I think every new Direct is now a case of papering over the cracks of how old the Switch is getting. To my eyes, most of the games looked babyish and trite and the constant re-heating of old classics in the Nintendo library is starting to wear thin.

They looked colourful and fun to me which honestly I'd take over ray traced bleakness while moving towards icons on a map.

I think this showcase shows that Nintendo are taking the Switch into 2024 and taking it with confidence. They've way more excellent looking first party games coming out than Sony or MS combined. It probably means the Switch 2 is at the very least well over a year away. Nintendo are being very clever here with the US theme park and runaway success of the Mario movie I'd say they are expecting a bump in holiday Switch sales so will need to support the console for at least a year.

And I'm ok with that. The Switch is home to so many good things right now that just can't be gotten on PC or Playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, it's Nintendo. When has their aesthetic not been skewed towards more cartoony styles, bold colours and general avoidance of Gritty McGrim beloved of the Games Are Serious Art brigade? Not sure what the age of the machine has to do with all that though - if the Switch left the PS5 in the dust for horsepower, Nintendo games would still look like Nintendo games. There's no evidence they need to change their ways TBH. The Switch still sells quite healthily & the Mario movie made a billion dollars - "Babyish" seems to be doing well for them.

If you've tired of that aesthetic that's understandable, but nothing says the Switch is struggling where it counts. And if you're waiting for Nintendo to do a Last of Us, we'll be waiting a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And if you're waiting for Nintendo to do a Last of Us, we'll be waiting a long, long time.

Nintendo has already done Earthbound and Mother 3. They don't need to chase after Last of Us when they have already wiped the floor with it before it even came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

But surely if they had a more capable console, they could have the best of both worlds: the Nintendo IP's that everyone (including myself) know and love but also the possibility of getting ports of the more demanding (power/graphics-wise) games that are available on the other consoles.

Again though, where's the indication they need to? Nobody's ignorant about the Switch's borderline technical obsolescence, but the hardware's still selling strong, TOTK continues to dominate charts, indie support remains solid - but if customer frustration at the lack of 3rd party parity was that strong, sales would have tapered off long ago.

And as the Steam Deck shows by its own lifespan, the mobile hardware price-point to support modern games would immediately kill off the Switch's appeal to the mass market it (and Nintendo's hardware generally enjoys), while even top-of-the-line mobile hardware isn't immune to performance problems. The Switch's success is partially because even in 2017 it wasn't exactly bleeding edge; the choice was made to trade performance for portability, good battery life & low heat.

Nintendo has been punished by bad choices before, but nothing in the Switch's cycle shows their strategy hasn't paid off - handsomely at that.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

Nintendo tried that. It didn't work. So they took a different approach and is outselling the competition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And, if you are after fancier visuals, just buy an Xbox Series S, cheap as chips and will run those games you are after.

I have most consoles and the Switch gets most of my time.

3pm Irish time on Thursday. Hopefully that’s making more room for other games in a September general Nintendo Direct.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct – 31/08/2023

20 minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Enjoyed that, looks very charming. It still has a slight whiff of NSMB but certainly more impressive and original than the final games in that series. The design is very nice. Cool power ups too, and the badges is a neat idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well that looks absolutely fantastic. It would be an easy day one purchase for me except the fact my son is getting a switch off santa so I'll package that game in with it for him/myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

The main playable characters all have the same abilities.

I guess the days of Mario & Peach having different but complimenting abilities are gone.

I wonder why that decision was made?

Nate the Hate says to expect a Nintendo Direct this week, with Thursday the likely day.

• Advertisement

I haven't been on my phone since this morning. Half expected to go online and read about a Direct announcement for Thursday. But there’s nothing, tomorrow is fine for a broadcast on Thursday. It might have been overshadowed if it was announced today because of Apple's event.

Advertisement