Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Is it time for Switch 2 confirmation? How long was it between Switch (1?!) reveal and release?

A shadow drop or two would be nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is my union mandated Silksong comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If they release wind waker HD, twilight Princess hd, Yoshi's woolly world on Switch then my Wii U is a paper weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Sure, it's not 1st party, but what about Devil's Third(💩)?

Oh I'm just mentioning the Wii U games I have that haven't ended up on Switch..

Also, isn't Devils Third worth a lot of money these days ...

Hmmmm cex sell it for 40 quid. So maybe not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reported for the wording of your post getting that Fight Song song stuck in my head. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Still an excellent way of getting a better quality picture for Wii games. Loads of them will never make it to Switch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yep, I do have it for that as well. And Switch motion controls can't touch the accuracy of the Wiimote pointer.

I heard Seth of IGN's NVC podcast maybe a month back saying that Devil's Third sells for $300 or more for secondhand copies. I had a look on eBay just now, and sure enough it does. Maybe it's rarer over there. I'm 95% sure I've a sealed copy somewhere.

And now the date being given is the 14th. Sure if they keep saying dates in February, one will be right.

Of course next week is also when Phil said there'll be an announcement from Microsoft as well.

Microsoft to make games exclusively for Switch 2 confirmed.

• Advertisement

MS already put both Ori games on Switch so nothing new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Silksong joint release? 🙂

Before today's financial results I wasn't sure if we would be getting a Nintendo Direct in February or any time soon. But now I think there will be one imminently. And then around May we'll get Switch 2 news. That's how I read it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

The way things seem to be falling, its giving Nintendo an absolute open goal to launch a new console before Black Friday this year.

If Microsoft are pulling back from Hardware and Sony can hardly launch a new Playstation this year, then there is a massive amount of potential customers that could snap up a new console from Nintendo.

Providing its reasonably powerful (that can accept 3rd party titles) and a bit innovative, it really should sell bucketloads. Nintendo also must have some big games nearly ready to go that could accompany a launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

They run a huge risk of what happened with Wii U though if they just name it Switch 2 or something.

Gotta have some solid USP other than more of the same with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pokemon day is in 20days time with several new Pokemon games expected to be announced remake of Black and White a Johto game and potential Coliseum Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger titles looking possible.

If these all come out between now and November with staggered releases the final one being Black and White remake along with some Zelda HD Metroid and a very significant surprise of Gamecube games being added to Nintendo Switch Online the Switch would get a good sendoff between now and November being a likely time for the next gen Switch to drop. With any hope we will see a direct next week to give some or all of this info minus the Pokemon stuff which will drop on February 27th in the Pokemon Day direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Wii U's problems began exactly when it wasn't called Wii 2 and its death knell being consumers understandably not being able to tell if it was a new console or just another peripheral.

If there ever a time for Nintendo to relax on the innovation for innovation's sake, it'd be a Switchcessor. It's an amazingly winning formula.

My hopes for a Black and White remake are super dampened considering the absolute scutter that was the Diamond and Pearl updates — inexcusably lazy nonsense considering the resources available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I dunno, I think 'Switch 2' is a boring name, but it's a clear one. No confusion about what it is, unlike something ambiguous like the 'Wii U' (what does 'U' mean?). Obviously, Nintendo has had success with unique names, but they've definitely struggled with somewhat confusing naming conventions in the past too. Maybe not confusing to those on a Nintendo forum, but confusing for those standing in a shop trying to figure out what the new console is.

I don't think it's the only factor in the respective consoles' struggles, but confused nomenclature I reckon is at least an element in the struggles Nintendo has had in the past - and, in Xbox's case, present. It's probably not entirely coincidental that the console-maker with the most consistent success has gone down the boring 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... route when it comes to naming consoles.

Boring for sure, but ultimately if the console is a straightforward Switch successor... Switch 2 or something like Super Switch makes sense, even if it doesn't exactly set the imagination alight.

They should name it the Switcheroonie and just rerelease the Gamecube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm wondering if it isn't a good time to bring a port of Starfox Zero to the Switch, definitely a decent game in search of a wider audience, as long as they make the controls a tad less idiosyncratic

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a good game in there. The controls definitely need rework.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Switch XL or Switch Extreme will be the name long gone ate the days of 3D being a concept so definitely won't be Switch 3D definitely needs a 256gb minimum on board capacity with the option of added memory but one thing I'm curious about regarding new mobile phone removable battery requirements and usb c charging will this be applicable to handheld devices across the board soon or would consoles and portable PC devices skip that.

Any little issues such as this could set back the development or lifespan of any new devices released in the next few years.

That game stank to high hell. It's controls were horrid, but it wasn't a great game besides that. It was very short and linear. I seem to remember you could beat the opening level without using the controller.

Wii U 's problems were multifaceted. Awful name, awful marketing, Nintendo struggled with HD development, 3DS had a rough launch; quickly followed by a €100 price drop and Nintendo focused on it more than Wii U. They couldn't afford to rescue both systems, nor did they have the resources to do so. Nintendo would later combine their home and portable development teams into one as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to guess this is in response to my comment about Starfox Zero but, with all due respect, I will disagree.

There was lots of creativity in that title, too much perhaps, but if they port it and bundle in the Slippy Toad game as well, it'll have a place in my collection.

As for the WiiU, it's problems are hardly news or revelatory, but I do recall a lot of grumbling from some quarters regarding Nintendo abandoning the format in favour of the Switch.

The DS/3DS?

Sure that has been a relentless success, especially once the superb DS Lite/NSMB combo.

The 3DS? At that launch it had to compete with a dominant DS market and a small 3D library, but of course it ended up a massive success.

Taken in context, the WiiU was the first major slip up by the company since the Virtual Boy, even the GameCube was a success, only eclipsed in the home territory by the PS2.

I thought it was pants and I bought the Collector's Edition at launch. Begrudgingly paid €70 to GameStop(a retailer I don't like) I believe as they were the only place in Ireland selling it. I was able to order most other Collector Editions on Wii U online for €60. It was an instant WTF is this with the controls. It was like them asking you to learn a whole new language, that you were only going to use for a weekend.

The Star Fox Guard game was a reskin of one of Miyamoto's pet projects, Project Guard. Project Guard & Project Giant Robot, were knocking around for ages in troubled development and you can see why they never amounted to much. Project Giant Robot went on to become another mediocre game, that Labo Robot game.

I think Star Fox needs to ditch the linear on rails aspect. It would be better in an open world/sky. There's a few 3rd party developers that could make it work. Ubisoft made Starlink and Bandai Namco have the Ace Combat series. Nintendo don't seem bothered about making a new one. If it's to happen, it'll be a 3rd party that'll make it.

Post edited by sligeach on

But Starfox is an on rails space shooter.

It is part of what it is, maybe there's room for more in some shared universe of titles, but I do thing we'd lose something by making it more open world than it is.

Maybe an approach like the recent LoZ titles, open world space flight with planets representing the dungeons, room for both

Starlink, toys aside, was pretty good and the Starfox exclusives for the Switch only made it even better.

Ace Combat?

An entirely different kind of game, to be honest, but again it could serve as a model for a spin off, especially in that realistic style, albeit in an entirely fictional universe.

The controls, yes, I know.

But I said it at the time, they made you work at understanding and becoming familiar, and it was a throwback to earlier gaming decades when almost every title seemed to come with an idiosyncratic or bespoke set of controls, regardless of genre, which could be a pain in the backside.

I still think a rerelease of Starfox Zero, however unlikely, would be worthwhile.

To use a racing game analogy, less Gran Turismo, more Outrun 2006.

No Direct announcement for tomorrow either.

Unless they just drop it unannounced since it's supposed to be a partner direct. Or maybe will be Thursday.

I think we'll get an announcement for the Partner Direct tomorrow and then it'll be shown on Thursday. I think it would be disrespectful to the 3rd parties to just shadow drop it. I don't think it'll be all 3rd party, we'll hear more on the 1st party games already known about. No Metroid Prime 4. Microsoft have some announcement this week, it could tie in or around the Partner Direct.

We might get Sea of Thieves, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush. Maybe a Rare game besides Sea of Thieves.

Edit: Nah, on second I think it will just be a Partner Direct with no 1st party news. If there is news today it could be around 2pm.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Advertisement

So nothing announced today. Maybe it will be shadow dropped tomorrow. I don't think Microsoft have said anything either. So maybe what ever is happening will drop together. Or maybe the world will keep spinning regardless.

Advertisement