Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Wow two cool shooters thats awesome.

edit - I will buy doom and Wolfenstein on switch.

Any multiplatform game, I'm leaning to Switch. Wolfenstein 2 might be one where I'll go for the 4k on Xbox though.
    Or buy it twice. Yeah, that's what'll happen.

Yes yes yes Doom Wolfenstien yes yes yes

Mobile yes yes yes

I actually said it like that too out loud

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Think it said it's out in January though!

Ah crap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Super pleased with that direct, Its gonna be an expensive few months on the run up to Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The rest of this year will be a serious strain on the wallet, with Metroid, Mario Oddysey, Xenoblade 2, Rocket League, Fifa, Doom, Starwdew Valley, Skyrim all definite purchases for me. Probably Resi as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was thinking of picking up Doom again, might just wait for the Switch edition, the multiplayer options are intriguing.
    That was a pretty impressive showcase for both systems.
    First time a Pokémon game has interested me ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

For a split second I thought the VC announcement was dropping as well. A damn fine Direct though.

Project Octopath Traveller demo is available now. Can't wait for it to be renamed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is this how Pinocchio feels at the end of the movie?

With proper big 3rd party titles incoming, is the Switch finally a real console?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is that... are those arcade classic things virtual console?

• Advertisement

Is that... are those arcade classic things virtual console?

Kinda? I think each one will be a seperate purchase rather than a collection, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Direct was terrible overall. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks great, Super Mario Odyssey is beyond fantastic, but we've already seen them.

So what's new? Dragon Quest Builders is getting a port from Japan, which is good, shouldn't be too hard, it's not text heavy like the main series. Really surprised, pleasantly surprised by Doom and Wolfenstein II. Great news. So if they're announcing new games, where are the rest of them? There was very little new for Switch that was interesting, Snipperclips kinda expanded, HAMSTER doing some NES ports, but that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A really great direct. How many times in the recent past have Nintendo pulled 2 big 3rd party games like Doom and Wolfenstein out of the hat like that. Not to mention Project Octopath either. Arena of Valor is a big coup as well, fills that MOBA gap and it's absolutely huge in Asia. Odyssey keeps looking fantastic, can't wait to dive into Xenoblade as well. The rest of the year and into 2018 is choc a bloc with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Just home from work and watched it that was excellent direct. No way I'm playing Doom or Wolfenstein on anything other than a PC, but for those who want them on Switch that's a huge announcement.

Super Mario Odyssey looks remarkable, Octopath traveller looks intriguing too. Xenoblade 2 looks good, dodgy voice acting though.

Morpies Law looks fun, hopefully it catches on with a decent player base. I wish that Mario party game collection was a Switch release though too.

Dragon Quest Builders and an updated SnipperClips are nice too.

All in all, that was pretty great.

Was hoping for Okami, but I guess Capcom doesn't think there's an audience for a game heavily inspired by Zelda on a Nintendo platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

sligeach wrote: »
    The Direct was terrible overall.

You're in the minority with that opinion, dude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Direct was terrible overall. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks great, Super Mario Odyssey is beyond fantastic, but we've already seen them.

So what's new? Dragon Quest Builders is getting a port from Japan, which is good, shouldn't be too hard, it's not text heavy like the main series. Really surprised, pleasantly surprised by Doom and Wolfenstein II. Great news. So if they're announcing new games, where are the rest of them? There was very little new for Switch that was interesting, Snipperclips kinda expanded, HAMSTER doing some NES ports, but that was it.

Oh knock it off Sligeach, you're not convincing anyone.

Was hoping for Okami, but I guess Capcom doesn't think there's an audience for a game heavily inspired by Zelda on a Nintendo platform.

Well it was already out on a Nintendo format, being released on the Wii, not to mention that the sequel, Okamiden, was on the DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

What exactly do you expect from these directs ,they are a showcase of something that are coming , i really think you're just doing it for attention now :rolleyes:
    There is a steady stream of games coming to the switch what more could you want , nintendo are showcasing theirs and some of the others ,its an ad for the upcoming games so i dont think you can complain that they are not advertising anymore :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

DOOM!!!!!

its the shooter I wanted!

Yay!

DOOM!!!!!

Yay!

Here's the Trailer again :D

Also, here is a image comparison to the PS4 version
    It's not that far off IMO

jkZLApL0TjOEHz5QOIPv_Ot9wDJV1TmrGEFIUgddO_DJpj83UWsAAXvJj.jpg

• Advertisement

Direct's are advertisements to Nintendo fans. The general public haven't a clue about them. The Bethesda announcement is great, especially for someone like me who's a Nintendo only gamer. But you could and can say Doom is a port. Wolfenstein II is the first real new AAA 3rd party announcement of a game that's exciting, it only took 7 months since launch. So the Bethesda announcement showed that they were willing to announce new 3rd party games. Where are the rest of the new AAA 3rd party announcements? There were 3 real 3rd party games shown last night. Dragon Quest Builders is also a port of a game already out in Japan.

I think there's only truly a handful of games for Switch that have me excited: Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and Metroid Prime 4(though that is somewhere far away in the distant ether). The new Yoshi game perhaps but need to see more. Nah, actually make it 6 games so, I'll include that.

Of the games out that I really like, it would be Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Sonic Mania. Maybe, I've forgotten something. Snipperclips is nice but very short. Snipperclips Plus might remedy that. Excuse me, I'm just thinking aloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

you forgot Arms and splatoon 2

geotrig wrote: »
    you forgot Arms and splatoon 2

Nope. ARMS looks really boring to me and Splatoon 2 is like an expansion of the original. I've had more than my fill of that on Wii U. I enjoyed it, but I'm all Splatooned out. For those new to the experience I'm sure they're having great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Pretty good direct overall. They were pretty clear before hand that it was mainly going to focus on the next few months so I've no idea why some people expect a tonne of new games to be announced.

Adding Doom & Wolfenstein 2 in particular is a great statement of intent and nicely fills the gap in the Switch's FPS line-up.

Super Mario Odyssey looks like it could rival BOTW for game of the year.

All in all though, Switch has had a great first 6 months and looks to have a strong end to the calendar year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well it was already out on a Nintendo format, being released on the Wii, not to mention that the sequel, Okamiden, was on the DS.

I know yeah, it was already on PS2 and PS3 too. It just makes very little sense to me that they're not releasing it on Switch with the others.

Capcom are a strange beast these days.
    Splatoon 2 is like an expansion of the original.

It's nowhere near like an expansion though. New campaign, new weapons, new maps, new specials, new gear and a new horde mode. It's every bit a sequel as any other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Nope. ARMS looks really boring to me and Splatoon 2 is like an expansion of the original. I've had more than my fill of that on Wii U. I enjoyed it, but I'm all Splatooned out. For those new to the experience I'm sure they're having great fun.

So you haven't played either? And that makes you an authority because.....?

(Although, you're probably right :D )

Arms isn't boring, but if you're not the kind of person who would spend hundreds of hours on any other fighting game mastering the various dynamics this isn't going to change you. There is essentially 1 character with minor tweaks (in their movement speed and individual ability) rather than each person having a really distinct feel, but that's unavoidable when you don't have unique movesets. Still, there's plenty to get to grips with, and if it ever dips below 20 quid it'd be well worth picking up. It's a good opening salvo, but this is a game that REALLY needs a sequel with some big ideas.

Splatoon, I think you'd have been delighted with it. Remember all the additional single player content they locked behind scAmiibo? It's free! Once you progress a certain distance in 1P you unlock a variety of weapons and there's a weapon-tied reward for beating all levels with that weapon. The 1P levels are similar - they're really just there to get you used to the mechanics of the main game - but the variety of weapons on display means that they have a few new tricks to show you. There's a few new maps, although they follow similar design ideals as the originals so it doesn't really matter. There are new weapons but I find I'm a Splattershot Man and no amount of new toys will change that. Plus Salmon run, which is bizarrely limited access but a huuuuuge amount of fun and looks like it has monthly reward cycles to keep you coming back. I guess though, any game that is primarily an arena based online team shooter is going to struggle to differentiate itself between generations. Basically, if you looked at it and thought "Splatoon 1.5" you will probably still think that after owning it for a week. Without split-screen online or co-op, it's going to disappoint you. But on the other hand - Splatoon in your pocket!

Anyway look - I know you're going to get a Switch. You know you're going to get a Switch. Just get a Switch. The only thing more awkward than sitting naked in a hot-tub with strangers is standing outside that hot-tub full of strangers, naked, dong swinging in the breeze, telling everyone the Hot Tub isn't quite ready. Get in the ****ing tub!

Without playing the games an opinion on them has no real weight, it's a feeling, or a reckoning but it's not the same as investing in the hardware, investing in the game, playing the game and having an opinion based on all of that.
    As Banjo says, get in the tub, it's nice, there's cake (cake might, just might, be a lie....)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

One worry is Golf Story, the screen graphic said September & the narrator said 2017. That is probably one of my most anticipated games on the system (based on the art style & Mario Golf gba vibe) so hopefully it will release soon.
    Was nice to know Tiny Metal was coming I forgot as I anticapate Wargroove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Without playing the games an opinion on them has no real weight, it's a feeling, or a reckoning but it's not the same as investing in the hardware, investing in the game, playing the game and having an opinion based on all of that.
    As Banjo says, get in the tub, it's nice, there's cake (cake might, just might, be a lie....)

Opinions drive intent, drive purchase, drive the 'success' of a game. It's why marketing is so important.

Arms looks like a sort of a good game but it is my opinion that it's not worth the money that I have, that I would rather spend it elsewhere. It's a personal choice and one that isn't wrong (misguided or ill-informed or different rather than wrong) but it does mean one less sale for Nintendo.

A step beyond this is a declaration, "Arms is shit". While still not 'wrong' as it is still an opinion, it can now be readily torn down as it is decidedly ill-informed as the game has not been played or is not suited to the individual. Don't judge a fish on its ability to climb trees etc etc.

I don't know where I was going with this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

DOOM!!!!!

Yay!

Anyone know what the multiplayer is like in this? Good as far as multiplayer shooters go?

Advertisement