Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Once they ditch the idiosyncratic controls Star Fox Zero should be fun for everyone, plenty to enjoy in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Yoshi's Wooly World port at a reasonable price would seem a no brainer for me. Lovely game, and would get more people interested in the upcoming Yoshi game. Also, those coloured Yoshi wooly amiibo deserve to be in more households

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Someone on Resetera is claiming they’ve seen GTA V running on the switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

manual_man wrote: »
    Yoshi's Wooly World port at a reasonable price would seem a no brainer for me. Lovely game, and would get more people interested in the upcoming Yoshi game. Also, those coloured Yoshi wooly amiibo deserve to be in more households

I don't know, I've already got it on WiiU and 3DS, don't think there is enough there to make it a triple dip.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't know, I've already got it on WiiU and 3DS, don't think there is enough there to make it a triple dip.

Not for you. Not for me either. But there's a tonne of Switch owners who would have never played it. It's really a game that deserves a bigger audience I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not even a bundled wooly piranha plant amiibo?
    (Flutters eyelids)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would they port Wooly World so close to a new game?

Banjo wrote: »
    Not even a bundled wooly piranha plant amiibo?
    (Flutters eyelids)

Damn, is my Kryptonite that well known??

Someone on Resetera is claiming they’ve seen GTA V running on the switch.

errr mah geeerd

4chan leak! As always, prerequisite amounts of salt.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle(マリオ+ラビッツ キングダムバトル) - January 18, 2018
    Mario & Sonic at the PyeongChang Olympics(マリオ&ソニックピョン AT チャンオリンピック) - February 9, 2018
    Bayonetta・Bayonetta 2(ベヨネッタ・ベヨネッタ2) - February 17, 2018
    Kirby: Star Allies(星のカービィ スターアライズ) - March 9, 2018
    Pikmin 4(ピクミン4) - April 27, 2018
    Yoshi Cut Corner(ヨッシー カットコーナー) - Summer 2018
    The Legend of Zelda: Boss Trackers(ゼルダの伝説 ボストラッカーズ) - Summer 2018
    Project Zero / Fatal Frame Series Latest Work(零 シリーズ最新作) - Fall 2018
    Fire Emblem: The Voice of Life(ファイアーエムブレム 生活の声) - Fall 2018
    Donkey Kong Planet(ドンキーコング プラネット) - Winter 2018

And a less surprising leak

Nintendo-Switch-Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-ARMS-russia-boxart.jpg?w=679&ssl=1

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/948922350917050368

There was a rumour going round that Nintendo was doing one more Zelda game on 3DS using the ALBW engine, so this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Could requesting review requotes point towards a Switch release? Imagine announcing next Thursday that it's in the eShop for download straight after the presentation? People would go nuts.

Mr E wrote: »
    Could requesting review requotes point towards a Switch release? Imagine announcing next Thursday that it's in the eShop for download straight after the presentation? People would go nuts.

I could see it happening. Enthusiasm for the franchise is at an all time high. They may also view it as market research if they're considering a future 2D zelda title on Switch

I would double dip, 100%. Such a great game.

Meaning, most of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm all for porting Wii U titles but the 3DS as well? Say it ain't so.

I would be all over a 3DS Zelda though.

Well the bravely default games are possibly in the pipeline to be ported, good idea I say.

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/948955318574182400

Thats one announcement, and there was another game rated for the switch in the week as well, so thats two.

Someone on Neogaf says they've heard from a source the crash bandicoot trilogy remaster that came out on PS4 in 2017 is headed to Switch. I don't know how credible the rumour is, but it was widely discussed on Neogaf before that placed imploded that the Crash remaster wasn't PS exclusive and was destined for other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Someone on Neogaf says they've heard from a source the crash bandicoot trilogy remaster that came out on PS4 in 2017 is headed to Switch. I don't know how credible the rumour is, but it was widely discussed on Neogaf before that placed imploded that the Crash remaster wasn't PS exclusive and was destined for other platforms.

It doesn't have the usual 'Only on PlayStation' text on the top right-hand corner of the box so it's entirely possible it was a timed exclusive.

91iP4NOH5yL._SX342_.jpg

Similar thing happened with Nioh and Nier. Didn't have the exclusive text and ended up on PC after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Crash remake had unreal sales on PS4. That was one of the surprises for me last year.

Should be an interesting Direct though. Titles for first half of 2018 to keep the Switch chugging away will be an aim I'm sure. There's already quite a lot of big titles for late 2018/2019 that decent 1st party and some 3rd party titles/ports would keep it moving steadily until then I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote:
    The Crash remake had unreal sales on PS4. That was one of the surprises for me last year.

Not for me; if your 25+ that & Spyro were the big thing on PlayStation when I was a kid. Hold more nostalgia than Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter do.
    Nobody wants Knack on PS+ so they had a big market with all the PS4's sold.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not for me; if your 25+ that & Spyro were the big thing on PlayStation when I was a kid. Hold more nostalgia than Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter do.
    Nobody wants Knack on PS+ so they had a big market with all the PS4's sold.

Oh ya I wasn't surprised it was popular and sold well, it was just the consistent volume of sales even many weeks after was huge, which was mostly unusual for a retro remake title that tend to have a lot of the nostalgiac buyers in the first few weeks.

With Kimishima hinting at different ways of playing using the Switch controls i.e. motion and IR camera, I could definitely see some sort of Switch Sports etc announced this year. Both Wii Sports and Resorts were big sellers so would make sense. I personally would love to see a game of this type announced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Corholio wrote: »
    With Kimishima hinting at different ways of playing using the Switch controls i.e. motion and IR camera, I could definitely see some sort of Switch Sports etc announced this year. Both Wii Sports and Resorts were big sellers so would make sense. I personally would love to see a game of this type announced.

If it sells more Switches then great, but on the other hand I wish motion controls would die a swift death - cannot stand them.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If it sells more Switches then great, but on the other hand I wish motion controls would die a swift death - cannot stand them.

I couldn't agree more.
    Definitely need to relegated to history, in the "WTF were they thinking?" category.
    Only Metroid Trilogy made me happy to use them, not another title as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Splatoon wouldn't be half the game it is without motion controls imo. When implemented correctly they're a great way to control a game. Gyro aiming with split joy-cons in BOTW is great as well. All the waggle stuff is a bit sh*t though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I couldn't agree more.
    Definitely need to relegated to history, in the "WTF were they thinking?" category.
    Only Metroid Trilogy made me happy to use them, not another title as far as I remember.

Not boxing? Not balloon sword fights? Not flying the plane in w.s.resort? Not Tiger Woods? Not couch vs Excite Truck? Not Arms?

Couldn't disagree with you more. Motion controls when done right are fantastic. Theyre intuitive, they're immersive, they're fun. What needs to be room 101ed is the notion that - like networked multiplayer, sandbox crafting or loot boxes - somehow what was a good idea for one game needs to be incorporated into all games.

I think they've done a decent job of keeping the motion controls out of the spotlight on the switch so they haven't come to define the console the way they did on the Wii, so hopefully they can introduce a few appropriate experiences now without it ****ing things up for the rest of the games.

I'd love a new Excite Truck. :)

I'd love a new Excite Truck. :)

Excite Truck would have been better with no motion controls at all.

I have Excitebots, not released in PAL territories, and it's plenty of fun but it still relies on lots and lots of motion control nonsense.

Motion controls and the need for learning on the part of the player, when a simple button press would do, it's madness, as seen with throwing grenades in CoD3 on the Wii or Skyward Sword with pretty much everything.

Excite Trucks was out at the same time as Motorstorm on the PS3 and Excite Trucks is a far better title, imho.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Not boxing?
    Nope
    Not balloon sword fights?

Nope
    Not flying the plane in w.s.resort?

Absolutely not!
    Not Tiger Woods?

You've answered your own queswtion there, no, not a chance, for the same reasons why a PS3/PS4/360/XB1 motion control version hasn't taken off at all.
    Not couch vs Excite Truck?

Excite Truck had relatively mild motion controls, as in the steering.
    Not Arms?

I actually played Arms with the button controls instead.
    I understand that the game had a interesting implementation of the option alright, but it wasn't for me.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. Motion controls when done right are fantastic. Theyre intuitive, they're immersive, they're fun. What needs to be room 101ed is the notion that - like networked multiplayer, sandbox crafting or loot boxes - somehow what was a good idea for one game needs to be incorporated into all games.

And that's the point really, motion controls where they need to be but don't shoehorn them into everygame because marketing says it's what they need to happen

Advertisement