Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    (Re: Golf)
    You've answered your own queswtion there, no, not a chance, for the same reasons why a PS3/PS4/360/XB1 motion control version hasn't taken off at all.
    Just because it didnt take off, doesn't mean it wasn't great. The difference between golf on the WiiU with motion controls and a standard golf game is the difference between golf and any non-motion-controlled game. Because (lack of club weight aside) it *is* golf, just in doors and virtualizing 99% of your space requirements. That it never took off is more a testament to how the original GBA power bar controls still hold up today. That's a different game, and the one most people want to buy when they think of console golf

Look, you don't like motion controls. That's a preference. But when they work they're great and you really should let them into your life, at least for local multiplayer. You can't win most rounds of street fighter by literally wearing out your opponent but gamers being gamers you can in Arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with motion control is a lot of people, not necessarily anyone here, default to the terrible uses of it when judging it i.e waggle As for it not taking off, it depends what that means. It doesn't have to be the front and centre use in a console. Wii Sports and Resort were hugely popular, Resort way more than some may think. Metroid Prime had a great use of it. The golf on Wii Sports and Wii U Sports Club is one of my most played sports game of the past few years. The great uses of it since the Wii have mostly been siphoned out from the bad ones, so hopefully will see more of those. I'd hate to think my gaming structure was ever set in stone generation to generation, thankfully with stuff like VR and better motion control it allows gaming to be innovative rather than just solely pixel counting or fps judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Resident Evil 4 worked great with motion controls. They are also useful for making fine aiming adjustments in Breath of The Wild and other Zeldas.

They also offer a viable way of playing faux light gun games.

I'd rather have them than not as long as they are used intelligently.

Killzone 3 had great motion controls too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Emotion controls coming in 2019 with Nintendo's quality of life project. Rage quitting built into the game with dark souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Emotion controls coming in 2019 with Nintendo's quality of life project. Rage quitting built into the game with dark souls.

I for one cannot wait to defeat limitless hordes of monsters armed solely 'with the power of friendship'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Grassey wrote: »
    I for one cannot wait to defeat limitless hordes of monsters armed solely 'with the power of Jolly Co-operation'

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Have they patched XC2 voices to that now? JAYYYSSSSUUUUSSSSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Grassey wrote: »
    Have they patched XC2 voices to that now? JAYYYSSSSUUUUSSSSS

*Darth vader with heavy scottish accent*

THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?????

DONT FORGET ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

File it under the more conservative end of hopeful announcements, but can we start the rollout of Switch MyNintendo rewards already, please? Even if it's just "10% off 'Vroom in the Sky' for 1000 Platinum points."

Actually that was too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Peer and the others were discussing pointer controls on Switch a couple of weeks ago on NVC. They were saying there's a reason why companies aren't using them, "LAG". It came up during their discussion of Poly Bridge. They were saying that it's too slow, you can use touch controls instead but then your fat finger in the way of the tiny little nodes you want to push". They say World of Goo uses pointer controls but its gameplay lets you get away with the lag. Nintendo have supposedly improved it with firmware updates but it's still not right. It could be why DOOM doesn't have pointer controls. That game has its issues and lacking pointer controls is a big negative for me.

It could be innocent but fun to speculate anyway :P.......

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/949400851126325254

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You can make out New FE there on the right side of the building. Might be nothing mind. There'a second new there on the left side, but I think thats just 'New Donk City'

DSzzctDVoAAcngt.jpg

Something something half life 3 being a switch exclusive for realz

I don't think there's anything in the actual image, just the timing and non specific nature of it really. Cool if it was connected to the Direct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, fake. Very cool though. Mistakes give it away.

Incidentally, the new issue of Nintendo Force magazine (which is a really cool magazine you should fund on patreon) lists Fire Emblem Switch and Pikmin 4 and Bayonetta 3 as 2018 games. Considering quite a few of those people work in the industry, its pretty telling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What's the point of the Nintendo tweet above? As in are they trying to tell us something?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What's the point of the Nintendo tweet above? As in are they trying to tell us something?

Well its either an unsubtle hint at the upcoming direct and stuff what's gonna be in it, or a massive troll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well its either an unsubtle hint at the upcoming direct and stuff what's gonna be in it, or a massive troll.

hqdefault.jpg

https://twitter.com/marcus_sellars/status/950084389911875584

Gonna say fake on this also. Looks a little convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Have a little patience! We'll have the official announcement tomorrow or Tuesday. And all these BS merchants will fade away into their dark little recesses.

Fakes are part of the fun! Like this!

DS-o5rjVwAAbS4g.jpg:large

Incidentally, here are my probably wrong predictions, because I'd like to see how many I got right.

- Fire Emblem Switch out in the summer.
    - Yoshi shown, full title, spring.
    - Kirby shown, also spring release.
    - Pikmin 4 is also a thing and will also be out in the summer.
    - An out of left field Nintendo showing, possibly Prime 4, or something brand new.
    - Bravely Default/Second ports?
    - Mario Maker Switch port.
    - Smash Bros won't be mentioned at all.
    - Bayonetta 1 + 2 trailer, plus Bayonetta 3 CGI trailer and I think it might say '2018' at the end.
    - Dark Souls remaster May or June release.
    - GTA V is a thing for switch, but it might not be in this direct.
    - Wolfenstein 2 will be shown, and release date, gonna go with early summer.
    - I don't think Pokemon will be there, but precedents are made to be broken right? I think we might get another of those developer sitting at a random table with concept art thing.
    - Project Octopath will be shown, release window and proper name announced (gonna go with between spring and summer)
    - Detective Pikachu will be shown for a worldwide release.
    - Either a link between worlds is getting a switch port, or the US will get more boring select titles. Also if they do then Majoras Mask will also become a selects title.
    - 3DS will be thrown one last bone with some game we all wish was on switch instead.
    - Firmware update with some UI updates, but still no virtual console 'we will discuss this at a later date'
    - Nindies hooray, show us some Hollow Knight.
    - No details on paid online cos Nintendo hate us.

I think the Dark Souls remaster is the only rumour that seems to have some standing, with a few known 'insiders' mentioning it. Otherwise it's quite open as to what might be shown. It's not going to be too forward looking either I think, the Directs tend to deal with up to 6 months after release date wise. Can only see them giving vaguer details on anything longer than that.

From the Russian Nintendo store thing

tiqQC1Fq-SI.jpg
    Boy: What about January Direct?
    Nintendo Store: Hello! Follow the news - its coming soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

And they even took the time to write it in Hyrule lingo!

Advertisement