Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking forward to Tropical Freeze as I heard a lot of good things. The rest is a bit for other people which is fine. They probably didn't help themselves with the teases yesterday as it was only for a mini direct :/
    They ported the one Zelda game on WiiU I didn't want tho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Wow ys viiii looks like a mix of open world xenoblade with the combat mechanics from hyrule warriors, im intrigued, looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

SNK Gals' Fighters 2 is not something I'd ever have thought was coming, much less being a Switch deal.

Port-heavy, but happy DK: Tropical Freeze is getting a 2nd life with the Switch's larger install base. Now everyone can sample the gaming equivalent of that Krusty the Clown doll with the knife hidden inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

Ys 8, Fe, Kingdom Battle DLC, Mario Tennis and Kirby interest me.

I've never played Dark Souls so will be keeping an eye on further news on that front too.

Happy enough with what we've been shown today!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What surprised me the most from that was a somewhat decent looking Mario Tennis!
    Could this be a return to form for the Mario Tennis titles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've only played a small bit of Dark Souls so I will be buying the Remaster. Now I need to figure out should I buy it on Switch (for portability) or X (for 4K).

Though choice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No Souls for me or I'd do this with my Switch, minus the steroid use of an MLB athlete obviously

8656607511_94178dbf2e_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's only a small thing but Nintendo getting the official reveal of the Dark Souls remaster in the Direct is notable I think. The other versions were announced soon after of course but having the reveal is slightly significant regarding brand recognition imo. Small things like that show a difference to the Wii U.

:):)

Watched the Direct again there and I didn't catch that the added character in Payday 2 is called 'Joy'.

So that's 'Joy' who is a......con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Corholio wrote: »
    The Y's title showing up is a bit interesting as well. I didn't expect to see a Falcom title on Switch this year, considering what they have said in the past.

Its being handled by NIS, even in Japan. Falcom typically aren't shy about licensing out ports to whoever wants to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

A decent Direct. DLC for Mario titles look good. As does Mario Tennis.
    Beyond that I'm interested in Donkey Kong and Hyrule Warriors. I know these are old games but I've never played them before.
    Fe and Dark Souls I'll need to do some research on. Never played a Dark Souls game either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll be buying Dark Souls, must have, a physical copy all the way too.
    It really will be nothing like the dedicated Nintendo owner has ever played before.
    It's a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So after all this time, we finally find what Retro have been working on - Funky Kong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I assume DK Tropical Freeze is a digital only title?
    The Wii U one was 11.4GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I assume DK Tropical Freeze is a digital only title?
    The Wii U one was 11.4GB.

Why the assumption, may I ask? None of the 1st party ports have been digital only thus far.

Also, my god. My Switch took the guts of an hour to download Thimbleweed Park's whopping 1GB. I dread to think what 11'd do.

It'll definitely be a physical title. Nintendo are kings of compression on their own titles as well so I wouldn't expect it to be a big file size.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I won't be double dipping on Tropical Freeze, forget Dark Souls, that game is a total beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I hope TWEWY isn’t digital only.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭antifyre

Happy with that - TWEWY was great, and I'll deffo play again. Missed Dark Souls so far, and I'm a sucker for a decent Tennis Game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So after all this time, we finally find what Retro have been working on - Funky Kong

About time he got the recognition he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Very happy with that direct. I played Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS and enjoyed it, but the smaller screen just didn't suit the game, and I'm delighted with that port. Donkey Kong, which I've never played, is a must have too. Dark Souls, I'm not sure. I have it on PC, along with the sequel, and I just didn't get along with it, mainly due to time. As a portable, it may work for me, but with Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, and Donkey Kong on the way before it, it's going to have to wait a bit.

The DLC for Pokken delighted my young fellow, who loves Blastoise, and the DLC for Rabbids looks good though I've not looked at the game since completing the main campaign. Mario Tennis could go either way. I liked the 3DS game initially, but it got very dull fast. The Wii/GC version didn't entertain me either. This looks pretty good, but I'll probably wait for reviews. I would have preferred a golf game akin to Hot Shots/Everybodys Golf on the PS4/Vita - those were amazing games.

Overall, as a teaser, it's a good first half of the year. The announcements in May/June should sort us out for the second half - praying for Zelda Wii U ports, Skyward Sword port, and all the Mario Wii U games at the least. :)

Dark Souls for Switch will retail at $39.99 in the US (same as the other consoles) so should be similar in euros here. Glad it won't be a full price release. Definitely will be picking it up.

manual_man wrote: »
    About time he got the recognition he deserves

Having watched the Direct now, it looks like Funky Kong is another name for easy mode

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Having watched the Direct now, it looks like Funky Kong is another name for easy mode

Ya they may well have had that in mind, the original title was considered quite difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Each time a Direct Mini has aired, a "standard" Direct (either dedicated to the full lineup of upcoming Wii/3DS/WiiU or just to specific games) followed within no more than 20 days.
    I'm not saying it will be the case this time too, it's no written rule, but that's still a nice observation just in case someone doesn't want to leave the hype train yet.
    (In the case of multiple Direct Minis aired one after another, I only considered the last one).

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7pq1st/take_it_with_a_grain_of_salt_each_direct_mini_has/

I'd like to believe but I can't do any more direct hype right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Donkey Kong is similar to Dark Souls with regards to how you learn from your mistakes. It's not as difficult as it's made out. So glad it got a port though. It would be a travesty if it was limited to the Wii U owners.

What fps do you think we can expect from Dark Souls? Is 60 possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Donkey Kong is similar to Dark Souls with regards to how you learn from your mistakes. It's not as difficult as it's made out. So glad it got a port though. It would be a travesty if it was limited to the Wii U owners.

What fps do you think we can expect from Dark Souls? Is 60 possible?

30 docked and undocked I'm almost positive.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I won't be double dipping on Tropical Freeze, forget Dark Souls, that game is a total beast.

I regrettably rage sold tropical freeze and its been on my mine to rebut it for years on Wii U. But now I'll get it on switch instead. Beautiful game.

• Advertisement

Surprised that the day after the Direct they announce the release of Detective Pikachu
    http://www.gamesradar.com/that-game-about-pikachu-as-a-gruff-detective-is-coming-west-with-a-huge-amiibo/

And for those Amiibo collectors, a large Amiibo coming as well
    ovA97Ws6pAStJ6apL45L8c-650-80.jpg

Advertisement