Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Toad Treasure Tracker, Okami HD & Project Octopath(which I guess is it's official name now) being dated was nice. A lot of ports of last year's games which is understandable but not something I'm interested in tbh. Travis Strikes again looked generic. I thought it was incorporating other indie games like Hotline Miami & Shovel Knight but looks plain & generic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Okami is digital only in EU and the US, Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Were any console exclusives other then Mario Tennis announced not including ports?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they spent way too long on Mario Tennis. No real genuine surprises in todays Nintendo Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote:
    Were any console exclusives other then Mario Tennis announced not including ports?
    Octopath Traveller & Travis Strikes back.
    Maybe the Smash game too.
    Announcing the latter was a big move as we have Metroid, Pokemon & Fire Emblem games announced all prematurely tbh. Hopefully that wasn't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Man the whole Splatoon universe is so fücking WEIRD. When they spent so long on it during the Direct I was just like: PLEASE. LET. IT. END.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really happy with that, a hell of a lot of Switch games that interest me and best of all, a new Warioware.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Am I the only one surprised by crash bandicoot? Or did I miss a leak somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Am I the only one surprised by crash bandicoot? Or did I miss a leak somewhere.

No that leaked a couple of months ago.

No that leaked a couple of months ago.

Ah right. I remember reading about an xbox version. Should fit the switch better though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crash is owned by Universal, not Sony. Universal like money. Expect a Xbox and PC release.

Bowsers Inside Story looks ****ing awful. The DS original might be the best looking 2D game ever made and it looks so much worse in 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A decent enough Direct that had that last gasp Smash tease to already light the E3 touch paper. It's a weird month balance wise as to what to put in a Direct with E3 on the horizon. Fire Emblem not being there was a surprise, so either that'll get a standalone Direct or it will have a big presence at E3. I'd like to see more of Tennis Aces to get a better view of what it's like, I'd love it to fill that Wii Sports style hole that the Switch sort of has. The Online test it will have is a good idea and should give a greater impression either way.

Crash, South Park, Undertale and Little Nightmares are nice additions to the catalogue. The fact that these games are sort of 'expected' and/or rumoured beforehand shows the improving 3rd party relationships. Splatoon 2's support is great as well, I didn't expect a single player based DLC. It's the type of game that will sell for years. I know it's not to everyone's continuing taste but I like the continued support the 3DS is getting, although Luigi's Mansion is a bit of an odd choice when it would clearly be a popular title for the Switch VC if/when it comes. The further lack of Yoshi again is interesting, perhaps delayed or getting reworked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Overall not a lot on show for me. Probably won't get the Splatoon dlc since I've barely played the single player campaign that's already there.
    Will probably get Mario Tennis and South Park.

Loved the Smash Bros teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The Smash vid was great, watching it thinking "wait a tick, this is the Splatoon 1 original announce trailer" and...well Nintendo isnt crazy enough to port it to Switch....so figured what it meant.

Loving the look of the Splatoon 2: Octo DLC, they said 80 "test areas" so thats a heft sum, even if shorter than the existing single player stuff.

May 18 for Hyrule Warr is a bit of a delay....and right in the mid of my exams, now that I think of it :(

Never got Treasure Tracker, so thats nice. Wonder if it will be play a bit...weaker...than the WiiU without the controller, or having to use it touch screen (not played my Switch outside its dock yet).

Octopath looking very nice, as every time its shown. That pop-up Special Edt....so bizarre and excessive...but so tempting!

Was very surprised nothing about Fire Emblem, given the renewed 3DS support until 2019, been wishes circulating of another "Echoes" game. No sign of the Switch game or Yoshi....maybe held back for E3, with Smash taking centre stage (seeing as last 2 there has been 1 big headline game and a few others shown alongside).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That was a great direct for me. A few ports I haven't played yet and release dates for games I'm looking forward to. Free characters for Kirby is a nice bonus too.

Splatoon 2 dlc looks interesting and new levels for Captain Toad is nice but I would have preferred a full sequel instead.

Travis Strikes Again looks interesting, not what I expected but I'll keep an eye on anything Suda knocks out.

Plenty of games to look forward to for me and with E3 just around the corner I'm sure the 2nd half of 2018 will bring a couple of surprises.

Would have liked Luigi's Mansion on Switch though but yeah, overall I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Everyone's favourite word 'port' has been mentioned a few times here regarding the Switch. I'm counting Captain Toad, Undertale and more than likely Smash. What else is a port?

Apart from the exclusives everything else is a third party multi-plat, what everyone was crying out for during the Wii U years.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Pac1Man wrote: »
    What else is a port?.

Crash trilogy, little nightmares, south park and okami HD.

I don't own any of them so I'll probably end up getting all of them at some stage anyway. I don't know why ports are seen as such a bad thing and they're all quite recent so I don't see what the issue is.

The first half of this year looks great.

Crash trilogy, little nightmares, south park and okami HD.

I don't own any of them so I'll probably end up getting all of them at some stage anyway. I don't know why ports are seen as such a bad thing and they're all quite recent so I don't see what the issue is.

The first half of this year looks great.

I don't know if you can refer to them as ports due to how recent they are though. To be honest I'm not sure what defines a port anymore.

Xbox & PC are getting Crash now too so that must have been a timed exclusive of sorts for Sony.

They are all buys for me too though. My poor poor bank balance this year! The portability is such a surprisingly strong advantage that I'm turning down cheaper Steam versions of games in the hope of a Switch release.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I don't know if you can refer to them as ports due to how recent they are though. To be honest I'm not sure what defines a port anymore.

Xbox & PC are getting Crash now too so that must have been a timed exclusive of sorts for Sony.

They are all buys for me too though. My poor poor bank balance this year! The portability is such a surprisingly strong advantage that I'm turning down cheaper Steam versions of games in the hope of a Switch release.

I always considered it a port if its a pre-release, like okami or Luigis mansion.

South park I would consider a multi platform release. Dont see why its a port just because it releases on a different date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

it still looks as bare as mario tennis wiiu...

Don't get how you can argue that, isn't there like a story mode with a map and challenges etc.? The Wii U one didn't even have cups as far I can remember (only played it twice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Even with ports, seeing as almost nobody bought the Wii U, it's good to open up the games from there to a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wasnt mentioned in the Direct, but Undertale being there is also part of a deal with Gamemaker Studio 2 getting Switch support.....so theres gonna need to be some form of standards put in place soon as the flood of "quality" titles will pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

If Treasure Tracker touch screen stuff can be ported, then we will get Super Mario 3D World too, right?

*Miaowing quietly, so as not to disturb the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was quite happy with that direct. There's more than enough to keep me occupied. I don't understand why people have an issue with "ports" though.

In the next few months, I'm going to be getting Dark Souls, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, South Park [though slightly disappointed we don't seem to be getting Stick of Truth too].

I'm also interested in Little Nightmares, Mario Tennis, Octopath Traveller, Okami, Undertale, and Captain Toad, though those aren't necessarily day one purchases for me.

That goes without mentioning other games that looking interesting like Attack On Titan, Naruto, the Outlast games, Mega Man collections, and any of the digital only titles [though I'm now waiting to see if those get physical releases] plus the rumoured Metroid Trilogy, and the potential Pokemon 2018 game, and the probably 2019 Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, and let's not even get into the Virtual Console.

It's going to be an expensive year. Very lucky that I just got promoted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought that was a great direct. Smash doesn't really do anything for me, but there are so many other games I'll be getting.

This year is going to cost me a fortune. THANKS NINTENDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Mr E wrote: »
    I thought that was a great direct. Smash doesn't really do anything for me, but there are so many other games I'll be getting.

This year is going to cost me a fortune. THANKS NINTENDO.

I dont get the hype with Smash, Animal Crossing or Pokemon! Was hoping for a fortnite announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I dont get the hype with Smash, Animal Crossing or Pokemon! Was hoping for a fortnite announcement

If Fortnite is to be announced I'd imagine it would be to coincide with the paid online service starting later in the year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know I'll buy both Smash and Captain Toad, even though I own them already, and barely played Smash.
    I don't see Dark Souls as a port because all of the current consoles are getting it in one form or another.
    I'll buy it again happily and dat Amiibo!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know I'll buy both Smash and Captain Toad, even though I own them already, and barely played Smash.
    I don't see Dark Souls as a port because all of the current consoles are getting it in one form or another.
    I'll buy it again happily and dat Amiibo!

I know, isn't it wonderful!

Detective-Pikachu-3DS-625x352.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

manual_man wrote: »
    If Fortnite is to be announced I'd imagine it would be to coincide with the paid online service starting later in the year

It was announced for IOS and Android today and cross play with all platforms apart from xbox (probably because of PUBG) but no mention of switch :-(

Advertisement