Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Amiibos and lots of em with new hats and stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

New Smash Bros Direct announced at Evo for this Thursday 8/8. New game info apparently!

8 / 8... Every character so far revealed now replaced with octolings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They are promoting their biggest game this year, if it was Metroid people wouldn't bat an eyelid, a game that wouldn't sell anything like Smash. Fighting games are divisive in their nature anyway, especially modern ones. A Direct for Smash Ultimate is about as expected as anything could be, it doesn't take the place of another Direct or anything, which is also rumoured for the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Grassey wrote: »
    8 / 8... Every character so far revealed now replaced with octolings!

That I would buy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While not a Smash player, I admit I do like the character reveals, especially if big surprises like Cloud or Bayonetta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Nintendo’s entire E3 felt like a Smash Bros Direct. Short of going through the game’s code, I don’t think they can go anymore in depth.

E3 was a fail for me for this very reason. Needed to distribute the focus more widely to include other titles. A lot of people are frankly not interested in Smash and it's an insult to us. 3rd parties on Switch probably miffed too and you wouldn't blame them. It all came across as the out-of-touch Nintendo of old rearing it's head again. In fairness, Nintendo has done a lot right over the last couple of years, but all this Smash Bros stuff smacks frankly of a bit of laziness and if one thing threatens Nintendo Success it's complacency on Nintendo's part. They need to keep the foot on the pedal, keep promoting and encouraging 3rd parties and indie devs, as well as their own stuff (just tone down the Smash promo!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe, with the system selling well they figure they can be so single minded, but it's a problem for me, when I want to see what else is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

There's nothing to suggest another Direct isn't around the corner. Nintendo have always had single game focused Directs followed by another one for multiple games shortly after. It's nothing new.

Hopefully that's the case this time as well.

I don't see how it's single minded to have a Direct for their biggest game of the year. These Directs don't 'replace' a third party Direct or anything like that. I love the promotion of another Smash game and all that comes with it. The E3 segment ran a bit long alright but it's a taste thing at the end of the day. Several 'insiders' have said they know of things that Nintendo are sitting on, and they thought might have been announced at E3. Before the end of this year I'm sure there will be a few more surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I felt the E3 segment was more than a bit long tbh. It was as interesting as having patch notes read to you.

• Advertisement

Looks like Simon Belmont as a new fighter may have got leaked via audio tracks on one of Nintendo's online videos. It features music from Castlevania II. It'll be interesting to see what is added as Sakurai already said there won't be too many new fighters due to the sheer number of the roster already.

A lot of it will just be an overview of new weapons, assist trophies, stages etc I would say. I know some don't like that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

This is at 3 our time right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

And we are live.

And there he is, Simon Belmont.

....and Richter!

Chrom and Dark Samus are new Echo Fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

300 stage variations, and morph look pretty good.

New Donk City Hall is a new stage.

103 stages in the game overall. Able to switch between 'Battlefield' and 'Omega' form.

New option 'Stage Morph'. Stages can morph into a completely different one during the fight.

More than 800 music tracks in the game.

New Battle modes: Squad Strike, Tourney, Smashdown.

New Training mode with measurement grid.

New single player mode, 'Classic Mode'.

Shovel Knight, Grey Fox, Krystal and Rathalos (!) are assist trophies. Rathalos can show up as a boss as well.

A mysterious mode in the main menu that they can't talk about yet. Hmm.

King K.Rool announced as the final surprise fighter.

Phew. What a Direct that was. Sakurai went to the ends for this one. The K.Rool misdirect with Dedede was an amazing reveal.

Internet sleuths, as they do, may have figured out the blurred name of the mystery mode in the Smash main menu shown in the Direct today.

Apparently it says 'Spirits'. This has also been worked out to the same word in the Japanese lettering in their Direct. Will be interesting to see what it is.

• Advertisement

They killed Luigi!!! They sacrificed him to promote Simon. After killing Mario to promote Ridley. Nintendo aren't playing this time around.

After the trick with the banner adding characters, I'm sure people will start coming up with fakes and theories.

Think they'll include Travis Touchdown as an Assist trophy at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Had no real interest in Smash after E3 but that Direct has won me over.

I spent very little time with the Wii U game due to the lack of a decent single player mode so hoping for something akin to the Wii's adventure mode to be announced at a later date.

That music test section alone is a dream for a Nintendo fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Adding the controller reversal mushroom from Earthbound as an item! I was sold right there!!

Apparently the secret character that can show up in Dracula's castle, which they blacked out and had question marks is
    Kid Dracula

I'll buy it for the sheer Nintendo-i-ness of it but I can't see myself actually playing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rumour: New Direct today. :)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/rumour_new_nintendo_direct_airing_later_today

A few indie developers are saying that there will be news at 2pm CEST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"new" Switch announcement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Would have preferred a direct about bigger games. But this will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It'll be another Smash reveal, but this time, it's indie characters coming to Smash! Everything is Smash and Smash is everything. Forever.

• Advertisement

It's all the indies that are going to be in the new No More Heroes.

Advertisement