Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

25 minutes to go and still no announcement on the NintendoUK twitter account...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Mr E wrote: »
    25 minutes to go and still no announcement on the NintendoUK twitter account...

From what I remember Nintendo have shadow dropped a couple of Nindie Directs out of nowhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

From what I remember Nintendo have shadow dropped a couple of Nindie Directs out of nowhere before.

https://twitter.com/pokewoodtheater/status/1031512461252259841?s=19

In this link, No joke btw.
    Not a direct it's an Indies showcase. Nothing mind blowing.
    Terraria and Windjammers 2 in 2019

Moonlighter and Slay the Spire both on the way....

Prison Architect out now.
    Morphies Law out tonight. :)

Full game list:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/video_check_out_the_2018_indie_highlights_for_switch_video_right_here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Nothing spectacular there. Ever space looked good. That's about it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Streets Of Rogue is good fun, would pick it up again for the local co-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That Monster Boy song sounded very Gummi Bears.

Now to finally go and see what the difference between Rogue-like and rogue-lite is.
    And also to see what either of them mean that so many are doing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A proper Indie's Direct is happening on the Tuesday 28th August at 5pm Irish time, with unannounced titles.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1032613428907495425?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

^^ Christ, those twitter replies are absolute poison.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote:
    A proper Indie's Direct is happening on the Tuesday 28th August at 5pm Irish time, with unannounced titles.

A release date for Wargroove in 2018 hopefully.

I predict rogue likes/lites

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I predict rogue likes/lites

I predict an array of metroid-vania titles, all of which feature deep.characterisation, great art style and an increasing apathy in the genre for me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Hollow Knight an example of a metroidvania?

I have occasionally googled the term along with roguelike but somehow have never been able to get my head around what they are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is Hollow Knight an example of a metroidvania?

I have occasionally googled the term along with roguelike but somehow have never been able to get my head around what they are talking about.

It is. It's basically a genre of games that are similar to Metroid and Castlevania - 2D action games, with a focus on exploration. Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, and Guacamelee (and its sequel) are all recent enough examples of the genre done right.

Metroid and Castlevania games (since the 90s) involve exploring a large map. You'll find areas that you can't reach (big gaps, small gaps, high platforms, underwater etc.) that you can't access at that time. When you beat bosses, you'll get powers like double jump, slide, breathe underwater etc.) that will let you explore areas that you couldn't previously reach.

Bump! 15 minutes to go. Watch here at 5pm:

Edit: Link Removed. :)

Not blown away so far. About 10 games in so far, and only Hyperlight Drifter interests me.
    Some of the new indies look a bit naff.

OK there were some good rereleases on the sizzle reel at the end (Bastion and Transistor).

Into the Breach is a great game too - I watched some streams of that a few months ago when it came out on PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nothing there for me at all until the very end. Into the Breach available now is great news.

Hope Bastion and Transistor are available as a decent priced double pack. I’d play through them again for €20 for the two.

At least Into the Breach was announced & out today. The rest of it blended into one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bullet Age and Mineko's Night Market looked quite fun.

The goose one looked fun

Not a bad indie direct at all. Both Directs combined look for a nice lineup for the months ahead.

Untitled goose game is one I've had my eye on for a while. Into the breach was a nice surprise too.

I'll try to not get too excited
    https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1034644325408366593

No word in Europe there though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I keep waiting on the Direct that's going to tell me what AAA releases are on the way for my Switch and I have spent much of 2018 being disappointed!
    Nindies and WiiU games brought over are great, and they are, but I need some indication of what I can look forward to in terms of big releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I keep waiting on the Direct that's going to tell me what AAA releases are on the way for my Switch and I have spent much of 2018 being disappointed!
    Nindies and WiiU games brought over are great, and they are, but I need some indication of what I can look forward to in terms of big releases.

It's a tough one. Basically we are asking Nintendo and third parties to come to an agreement to develop exclusives for the console, or at least develop games for all platforms but within the technical constraints of the Switch (which is not likely to happen).

I'm satisfied with it being an indie and Nintendo exclusive machine and to be honest I don't think we can expect much more given the hardware limitations.

Next year will shed more light onto the 'road map' the Switch will take. Developers have witnessed the early success of the console and hopefully will be more likely to focus their resources directly towards it.

There are rumours about a proper Direct on the 6th (Thursday). We'll just have to wait and see....

Mr E wrote: »
    There are rumours about a proper Direct on the 6th (Thursday). We'll just have to wait and see....

That's my hopes up.
    If it turns out to be false I'll just have to hunt you down, bury your body deep...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Surely there has to be at least some sort of proper announcement regarding the online service in the next week or so....

It's also a sad state of affairs that despite having Super Mario Bros 3 playable on about 10 different devices, I can't wait to play it on the Switch in handheld mode!

• Advertisement

The firmware update looks like it will be very bare-bones. I don't know why Nintendo are so coy (and cautious) about the updates. I don't really care about the NES games either. If they were SNES, it would be a different story.

Advertisement