Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Then it'll concentrate on 2 other games I've no interest in: Animal Crossing and Pokemon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So now we know the Direct is about Smash, some people will watch the Direct about Smash and then complain the Direct is about Smash :P.

Looking forward to information on the new modes and interesting to see who they have left last to reveal. With the information coming out of the earnings about targeting DLC on current games, I'm sure something will be mentioned about that too. If Isaac, as rumoured, is added as a fighter I hope it could mean a revival of the Golden Sun franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I doubt they'll mention DLC just yet. They'll want to get the game out first. I think single player content will come later, in the form of paid DLC, e.g. a Subspace Emissary mission or other story like modes. There'll probably be some token efforts for single player content contained within the game like the usual Break the Targets and Homerun Contest, maybe there's more to that "Spirits" mode than meets the eye. Besides, this game is coming on a 16GB cartridge and there's only so much it can contain. I don't think the DLC will feature many if any new characters or stages. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Then it'll concentrate on 2 other games I've no interest in: Animal Crossing and Pokemon

How could you not like Animal Crossing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

mario54324 wrote: »
    How could you not like Animal Crossing?

I can see it's appeal but I never got into it, aside from some time with the GameCube version, a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It just doesn't appeal to me. Same as games like Stardew Valley.

Ninty Direct Stream

Embedded below, but you'll need that real link to view it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAbu0LaQxmc

Petey Piranha as a fighter? That's nonsense to me.

sligeach wrote: »
    Petey Piranha as a fighter? That's nonsense to me.

I don't even think it's Petey Piranha, it's just the "vanilla" Piranha Plant.

Which is actually even worse...

Ya, you're right. It's just "Piranha Plant". I'm sure people had their fingers crossed that their character might get announced today and instead they get some generic polka-dot piranha plant in a pot. And they've made him a limited time offer. No great loss, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Having a good laugh watching the reactions to that direct on ResetEra and NintendoSwitch Reddit.

What were people really expecting?

I know Smash isn't an ordinary fighting game but realistically what can you expect on each new iteration of a fighting game?

A few new fighters and a basic arcade mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Great. Haven’t checked the direct but I take it from the above responses that that mini N64 announcement rumour I heard this morning didn’t happen. :(

Great. Haven’t checked the direct but I take it from the above responses that that mini N64 announcement rumour I heard this morning didn’t happen. :(

Not yet. They are doing their "Treehouse" thing now.

Game Awards is on December 6th. I would be surprised if Nintendo makes any more big announcements before then.

Nintendo are milking Smash Bros and Pokemon on Treehouse Live. I've yet to see Yoshi’s Crafted World, it's the only thing I'm interested in seeing. I hope it's not just some tacked on trailer right at the end.

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo are milking Smash Bros and Pokemon on Treehouse Live. I've yet to see Yoshi’s Crafted World, it's the only thing I'm interested in seeing. I hope it's not just some tacked on trailer right at the end.

Looks like you missed it.

They were playing Yoshi about an hour ago. Think they were going for about 30 mins or so.

Ya, I went looking on Youtube just in case and found this.

Yoshi's Crafted World Gameplay - Nintendo Treehouse November 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQqsGMppsWo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Smash adventure mode looks really interesting. I wonder how the bosses will be held fight wise. It's also a throwback that first initial reveal trailer with Inkling and the ominous staring shadow fighters, that now seem part of a story.

Spirits looks to be a really neat way of making an already full game even fuller tactics wise. The game is absolutely choc ful of everything, more than any game Nintendo has ever done. I'm no Pokemon fan, but Incineroar looks an interesting character move wise, quite different from other fighters.

Looking forward to it's release now.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Piranha Plant is the weird, nonsense, out of nowhere fighter I hoped to see. I enjoyed the reveal quite a bit I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Am I the only one who had absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in smash bros, it just looks like a million things happening on a screen at once with little control bar button bashing??
    My son is mad about it, it's the one game where he'll likely have a chance of whoopin me, oh no!! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Haven't watched the direct, just had a quick glance at the headlines. Will there be a few more fighters announced at launch do you reckon, or is that the roster finalised? Would be a shame if Golden Sun went completely unrepresented in the franchise.

• Advertisement

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Haven't watched the direct, just had a quick glance at the headlines. Will there be a few more fighters announced at launch do you reckon, or is that the roster finalised? Would be a shame if Golden Sun went completely unrepresented in the franchise.

I didn't watch most of it, I thought Isaac was going to be a fighter in the game, going from an old rumour, but someone elsewhere said he was shown today as an Assist Trophy. So that's him crossed off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think thats it for release, with Pirahna Plant coming around Feb 2019. Then the 5 DLC characters over the next 15 months (it says all chars will be released by Feb 2020 at the bottom when discussing them)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

lafors wrote: »
    Am I the only one who had absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in smash bros, it just looks like a million things happening on a screen at once with little control bar button bashing??
    My son is mad about it, it's the one game where he'll likely have a chance of whoopin me, oh no!! :pac: :D

Just mash the controller and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

lafors wrote: »

I bought smash on the Wii U and hadn't a clue what was going on but I got some instructions from lads on here and once you understand the game you realise what's going on. I actually love it now its worth investing a bit of time I'm it to get to know it.
    My only problem is I'm only really good with one character, mario. I'm like that guy that always picked ryu in street fighter(which I also did:))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It reflects so badly on the online capabilities of the Switch console when they plead with you to get a LAN adapter for the best online experience.
    Its like they take the opposite approach to Rockstar by just telling you everything about it even if you never asked, hey press ZL to bring up the help menu. Eh, thanks I guess :confused:

ERG89 wrote: »
    It reflects so badly on the online capabilities of the Switch console when they plead with you to get a LAN adapter for the best online experience.

It's a WiFi thing, not a Switch thing, but here's a gold star for effort:
    Its like they take the opposite approach to Rockstar by just telling you everything about it even if you never asked, hey press ZL to bring up the help menu. Eh, thanks I guess :confused:
    Yeah... very Japanese. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Everything will run better connected via Lan. My PS4, my PC and Xbox. If you want the best experience you should be hooked up via cable otherwise you may get drops or other devices in your house may cause interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's a WiFi thing, not a Switch thing, but here's a gold star for effort:

Nah my WiFi worked well on everything I use the last 4 or 5 years but suspiciously not the Switch.
    They definetly cut a corner with its implementation on the device and them mentioning a LAN adapter during the direct I saw it as basically covering their arses for any potential issues. Yeah it improves performance but the performance of the device on anyone's Wi-Fi is noticeably behind other systems on the market the last 12 years.
    Kinda astonished people try defend Nintendo to the point where they believe the Switch's Wi-Fi capabilities are good.
    Thanks for the gold star tho :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this on Facebook this morning.... gave me a chuckle. :)

xJvxk9F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Piranha Plant got a great chuckle out of me. If any of ye watch Alpharad on Youtube, his reaction was hilarious. He was so excited because he thought they were going to reveal Geno :D

Advertisement