Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mario + Rabbids sold 2.5m physical copies so I would consider that a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mario + Rabbids sold 2.5m physical copies so I would consider that a success.

And more importantly, it was a really good game. I must actually get the season pass. I finished the main game, but never looked at any of the extras. One of the most enjoyable pick up and play games that the Switch has, and I would certainly welcome a sequel, even if there weren't too many mechanic changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unlikely to be a Direct announcement now I would think, Nintendo twitter been a bit active today which they normally aren't before a Direct announcement. Some rumours about a secondary sort of Direct in addition to the main one happening in the next few weeks, possibly the 4th Labo kit.

Possibly the 17th for the Direct now I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Which Direct was it that was dropped without an announcement? I don't expect one now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The smell of bull$h1t is strong with this one. But, hey-ho, you never know.
    3DS Titles

– Kirby, nothing new
    – Mario and Luigi Partners in Time early 2020
    – Punch Out (Wii) in April, new Mii custom characters
    – Pokepark 3 in August
    – Ice Climber remake in February

Nintendo Switch Titles

– For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Piranha Plant for 31 January and Joker for Spring but no gameplay shown.
    – Pikmin 4, now Pikmin World, is an open world game with lot a worlds like we have in Mario Odyssey, for Autumn. Olimar, Louie, Alph, Charlie and Brittany are back, with orange, green and cyan Pikmins.
    – Donkey Kong 64 Remake, few gameplay showed. For Holiday 2019
    – Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS title) for May
    – The Wonderful 101 for March
    – Fire Emblem Three Houses, more gameplay showed
    – Animal Crossing is now called Animal Crossing: Summer Vacation and will focus on characters from different islands. You can visit all the islands and Isabelle is playable.
    – The new Paper Mario game called Paper Mario: Lost Relics release in November. Gameplay is closer to old Paper Mario Games
    – Super Mario 3D World on Nintendo Switch in June
    – Nintendo Switch online update, cloud saves available for more games. SNES and Gameboy games available for free for subscribers. Still nothing about special offers.
    – Mario Maker Deluxe, new items and themes are presented with a release date in Spring
    – Luigi’s Mansion 3 is a game where Mario, Peach and Toad disappear and you have to save them. When you save a character, you can use it in the game. Release for Halloween
    – Pokemon Gen 8 confirmed for Autumn.

The direct ends with a Metroid Prime 4 trailer. We just see an opening cinematic with a fight between Samus and Sylux. The trailer ends with a release date in December.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/aej6io/new_possible_leak_for_a_nintendo_direct/

Original source: http://www.nintendo-town.fr/2019/01/10/rumeur-un-nouveau-leak-sur-la-nintendo-direct-de-janvier-qui-aurait-lieu-de-14/

I changed some of the translation as it wasn't great, was incorrect in places and left a few bits out. And the Direct is supposedly on 14th January.

• Advertisement

Just the right amount of "maybe" to avoid being total bull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Here the content of the possible Nintendo Direct I translated :

3DS Titles

– Kirby, nothing new
    – Punch Out (Wii) in April, new Mii custom characters
    – Ice Climber remake in February

Nintendo Switch Title

– Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS title) for May
    – The Wonderful 101 for March
    – Super Mario 3D World on Nintendo Switch in June
    – Mario Maker Deluxe, release date in Spring

Even by Nintendo's high standards that's a lot of remakes/re-releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »
    Really hoping that this one is bull, because they shouldn't waste their time with that rubbish.
    – The new Paper Mario game called Paper Mario: Lost relics release in November. Gameplay is closer to old Paper Mario Games
    Hoping that this one is true! Even Super Paper Mario was good, but the more recent ones were more miss than hit IMHO. Thousand Year Door was the best in the series.
    – Nintendo Switch online update, cloud saves availables for more games. SNES and Gameboy games available for free for subscribers. Still nothing about special offers.
    This would be excellent if it's true!

Can't see how Metroid Prime 4 will release this year. Nothing said about Bayonetta 3, Yoshi’s Crafted World and a few others like Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes which doesn't make sense. No new 3rd party game announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ERG89 wrote: »
    Even by Nintendo's high standards that's a lot of remakes/re-releases.

Nothing wrong with that. They were lost on the Wii U, so it's a whole new audience. :)

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that. They were lost on the Wii U, so it's a whole new audience. :)

Nintendo aren't paupers. They sold a lot of games on Wii U, sure the Wii U sold badly but the attach rates for a good deal of Nintendo's games were quite high. MK8 sold over 8 million copies out of an audience of 13 million.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

And there's other million sellers. But today, Nintendo have released New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and are charging €60 for another Wii U port. You can buy both New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U on Wii U for less than €20 new. I think it's disgusting that just because it's now on Switch they want another €40 on top of the asking price. It's not the first time either and it won't be the last port.

Contrast that with Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition which also releases today, Bandai Namco did a load of work remastering it and it's €50. The games weren't lost on Wii U, a lot of people knew they were there but didn't buy them for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nintendo aren't paupers. They sold a lot of games on Wii U, sure the Wii U sold badly but the attach rates for a good deal of Nintendo's games were quite high. MK8 sold over 8 million copies out of an audience of 13 million.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

And there's other million sellers. But today, Nintendo have released New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and are charging €60 for another Wii U port. You can buy both New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U on Wii U for less than €20 new. I think it's disgusting that just because it's now on Switch they want another €40 on top of the asking price. It's not the first time either and it won't be the last port.

Contrast that with Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition which also releases today, Bandai Namco did a load of work remastering it and it's €50. The games weren't lost on Wii U, a lot of people knew they were there but didn't buy them for various reasons.

It doesn't matter how much it is on Wii U and you really shouldn't be so outraged by this.

Nintendo are pricing their IPs at the rate the market dictates. It's simple supply and demand. If the demand isn't there at the higher price they will lower the price and get more sales volume.

TOV is not a popular franchise. If they tried to charge €60 it would sell very little. Even at €50 it'll sell poorly but it'll be reduced in price over time and eventually it'll sell a reasonable amount of units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how much it is on Wii U and you really shouldn't be so outraged by this.

Nintendo are pricing their IPs at the rate the market dictates. It's simple supply and demand. If the demand isn't there at the higher price they will lower the price and get more sales volume.

TOV is not a popular franchise. If they tried to charge €60 it would sell very little. Even at €50 it'll sell poorly but it'll be reduced in price over time and eventually it'll sell a reasonable amount of units.

Nintendo are not providing good value here. It's just an old 2D Mario on a new platform. I've got it on WiiU and it's great but is it much different to the Wii or 3DS versions or even SNES versions?

They could have least farmed 100s of the best Mario Maker levels into this, throw in some Rayman Legends like magic, etc. Make 2D Mario great again :). It's disappointing.

For the same price you get BOTW which is absolute genius improvement on older Zelda. I guess Zelda had to be 'perfect' to sell the platform for low hanging fruit like this Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I doubt any of us here are getting a portion of Nintendo's profits so to pat them on the back for their inflated price structure is laughable.

Maybe if there was some more outcry or people voted with their wallets, things would change.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I doubt any of us here are getting a portion of Nintendo's profits so to pat them on the back for their inflated price structure is laughable.

Maybe if there was some more outcry or people voted with their wallets, things would change.

Was there someone patting them on the back? I didn't come across that I have to say. This Mario game isn't of much interest to me personally to buy again but 2D Mario is always a considerable seller. As a business do they sell at a much lower price when they know they will still sell a lot at the higher price? Again, it's not patting them on the back, just a reason why they potentially do it. Consumers vote with their wallets in both directions, not just down.

Mario Kart Deluxe sold more copies in 2018 in the UK than it did in 2017, it's launch year, which is staggering in terms of legs for a 'port' or even any game. Of course some of these games are a bit too expensive for re-releases, but you can see why a business, and they are one, like Nintendo does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

That "leak" is nonsense. Given away by the fact that it says they're adding snes games to the online.
    Also given away by the fact that it says there's a new pikmin. I want that game too much so there's no way the gods would allow it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Corholio wrote: »
    Was there someone patting them on the back? I didn't come across that I have to say.

As a customer, making excuses for them by implying that they have great business savvy is patting them on the back.

Being even a small bit pro consumer can go a long way. I hardly see any instances of this with them. Charging €60 for a re-released game they produced 5 years ago is certainly not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As a customer, making excuses for them by implying that they have great business savvy is patting them on the back.

Being even a small bit pro consumer can go a long way. I hardly see any instances of this with them. Charging €60 for a re-released game they produced 5 years ago is certainly not one.

If you were selling a product and could sell 1m units at €60 or 1.2m units at €40 what would you do?

A companys primary objective is to maximise profits for their shareholders.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Also given away by the fact that it says there's a new pikmin. I want that game too much so there's no way the gods would allow it!

It was reportedly nearly done a couple of years ago, before they decided to do more work with it, and it disappeared from mention again, so wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up again soon!

Ye but then they released a 3DS game. I assumed that was what the Pikmin rumours were about.

I'm not getting me hopes up anyway. I might just play through Pikmin 3 again on the Wii U instead!

• Advertisement

Hey, Pikmin! wasn't developed by Nintendo at all, that was a 3rd party game.
    Pikmin 4 is the presumed title of an upcoming installment in the Pikmin series.

As of July, 2016, the game remains in development; according to Miyamoto, the game has not always been a high priority within Nintendo.[1] It is most likely going to be on the Nintendo Switch.

On June 2017, Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 4 is in fact still in development by the Pikmin team, which also means that it is not the same thing as Hey! Pikmin.

So it's something that's been on the go for quite some time, so it's possible... but we'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

I've got pikmin 3 on my to-do list. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've 2 and 3 to play

I mean, I already said they were a bit too expensive for re-releases, I didn't imply any opinion on 'great' business savvy, just simply that they are a business. It's not praise, it's just the reality.

I won't be buying it. Although the '€60' tag that always gets used is rarely true either, can always get it for less, which is where being a consumer comes into play. I often find a lot of consumers can have terrible practices of their own.

So this Direct eh.......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

That "leak" is nonsense. Given away by the fact that it says they're adding snes games to the online.

There's been rumors of SNES games being added since the Nintendo online platform was released. How does that suggest the leak is nonsense, or did I miss something?

Notorious wrote: »
    There's been rumors of SNES games being added since the Nintendo online platform was released. How does that suggest the leak is nonsense, or did I miss something?

It's more than the Online service has barely started, we've only had 6 games for the NES added out of a massive potential library, so it seems unlikely that we would get a whole new console this side of E3 at the very least. While it'd be nice, I just don't see it happening. Not until the SNES Classics are sold out *cynical hat* :D

Notorious wrote: »

I wouldn't call them rumours. Its more like people on the Internet saying "I want snes games".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I wouldn't call them rumours. Its more like people on the Internet saying "I want snes games".

While it's a second hand source, the lads on Kotaku's podcast stated that Nintendo has alluded to it. The online service is their modern virtual console, and on the Wii U's there were SNES and N64 games. Fans are already up in arms that they can't transfer their Wii U purchases over to the Switch. I think it's only a matter of time before the online platform has SNES titles. Maybe 6 months after its release is a little soon however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Just date Wargroove or announce a demo

Advertisement