Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Hopefully some links awakening in there somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's a known quantity. I'm more interested in the unknown please. :)

Expecting some WiiU ports, plus maybe Mario Sunshine HD and SNES games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Direct target audience have decided by now if they want Link's Awakening or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No chance, but the Batman trilogy from Rocksteady would be a nice fit on the Switch.
    Maybe port the Farcry games too, starting with the second one, my favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No chance, but the Batman trilogy from Rocksteady would be a nice fit on the Switch.
    Maybe port the Farcry games too, starting with the second one, my favourite!

I've probably played those Batman games 4-5 times each, on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, PS4, and I'd still buy it again. I'd like Batman Arkham Origins, and it's like the unwanted child of the family, and I've never actually finished it, as I got caught with a game breaking bug, but it would be nice to have *all* the games. Even that mediocre 2D-ish one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first one was such a tight adventure, didn't enjoy the second one as much at all, but Arkham Knight was great fun and it had some excellent DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Direct target audience have decided by now if they want Link's Awakening or not

Yes, but the Direct target audience has also proven they'll sit through any auld ****e on the slimmest hope of a noteworthy "...and one more thing before we go."

Also, a special **** you to the Banjo-Smash Bros reveal from e3. The first 20 seconds had me convinced we're getting a 3rd entry in Retro's DKC revival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Overwatch is a nailed on announcement. That's possibly the biggest game reveal tonight, which for me would be a disappointment. I think we'll see footage from Bayonetta 3.

Regarding Retro Studios, they must have some game near finished. I can't believe they went 5 years without showing a new game, only for Nintendo to say, you know what, you've been so productive, here, you can work on Metroid Prime 4. Like why didn't they give them the project from the beginning? They had to been working on something. Metroid Prime 4, I doubt will be out for another 3 years potentially. That would mean they made 1 new game in 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    Overwatch is a nailed on announcement. That's possibly the biggest game reveal tonight, which for me would be a disappointment. I think we'll see footage from Bayonetta 3.

Regarding Retro Studios, they must have some game near finished. I can't believe they went 5 years without showing a new game, only for Nintendo to say, you know what, you've been so productive, here, you can work on Metroid Prime 4. Like why didn't they give them the project from the beginning? They had to been working on something. Metroid Prime 4, I doubt will be out for another 3 years potentially. That would mean they made 1 new game in 8 years.

Overwatch would be most likely announced during Blizzcon I would have thought?

Here's a Tweet from Nintendo a couple of weeks ago.

It may be nothing, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo have dropped a hint about an upcoming unannounced game. I liked this response.
    EClto30WwAcLPV6?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered would be a good idea IMO. Many people never played the originals. Would be a good way to appease the disappointment in the delay for Metroid Prime 4 while also acting as an advertisement for it

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Overwatch would be most likely announced during Blizzcon I would have thought?

Nah, that’s not until next month I think. It's more of a big deal in a Direct, than at Blizzcon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Looks like it's been leaked as an October 18th arrival date for Overwatch. Paladins played quite well, but that was essentially free to play starting off. Overwatch is a full price game normally, yes?

chrislad wrote: »
    Looks like it's been leaked as an October 18th arrival date for Overwatch. Paladins played quite well, but that was essentially free to play starting off. Overwatch is a full price game normally, yes?

Overwatch looks a cert. My prediction: there will be Nintendo characters in this version

manual_man wrote: »
    Overwatch looks a cert. My prediction: there will be Nintendo characters in this version

No chance of that. What you might get is a Mario skin for Torb, a Peach skin for Tracer, Bowser for Roadhog etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

No chance of that. What you might get is a Mario skin for Torb, a Peach skin for Tracer, Bowser for Roadhog etc.

Skins? Highly doubt that, couple of sprays at the most and probably locked in special Nintendo lootboxes.

Who do you think no chance? It's been a recent trend to see Nintendo characters alongside other game franchises. If anything for Overwatch it would make perfect sense, you could even have a 'Team Nintendo' made up exclusively of Nintendo characters

Who do you think no chance? It's been a recent trend to see Nintendo characters alongside other game franchises. If anything for Overwatch it would make perfect sense, you could even have a 'Team Nintendo' made up exclusively of Nintendo characters

The game is balanced based on characters in the game. Its available on PlayStation but you don't see any Sony characters in it, same with Xbox and PC.

Individual balance already takes place between console and PC and console is the forgotten cousin a lot of the time. A good example was a buff to Bastions damage. Blizz realized it was to strong nerfed him on PC but let it stand on console for a few months. It was chaos.

Now you add a hero for Switch only and your adding in a third "platform" that needs to be balanced individually.

I would be shocked if we saw a Nintendo character in the game. Skins yes, they do limited edition ones every now (breast cancer awareness) and then so could see them adding something specific to Nintendo.

The game is balanced based on characters in the game. Its available on PlayStation but you don't see any Sony characters in it, same with Xbox and PC.

Individual balance already takes place between console and PC and console is the forgotten cousin a lot of the time. A good example was a buff to Bastions damage. Blizz realized it was to strong nerfed him on PC but let it stand on console for a few months. It was chaos.

Now you add a hero for Switch only and your adding in a third "platform" that needs to be balanced individually.

I would be shocked if we saw a Nintendo character in the game. Skins yes, they do limited edition ones every now (breast cancer awareness) and then so could see them adding something specific to Nintendo.

The original was released well over 3 years ago. IMO they have to offer some serious differentiation from the other versions, especially if they wish to sell it at full price - which I think they will. Skins I don't think would cut it. I'm expecting more

• Advertisement

The original was released well over 3 years ago. IMO they have to offer some serious differentiation from the other versions, especially if they wish to sell it at full price - which I think they will. Skins I don't think would cut it. I'm expecting more

It'll sell extremely well as is. There's not many shooters available on Switch and Overwatch is still very popular.

I feel you'll be disappointed then if your expecting Nintendo characters in the game. Not sure how they'd even fit into the story/lore behind the game?

Anyway I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Looks like another leaked game. eShop listing for the original Puzzle Quest has been found, launching Sept 19th.

https://kotaku.com/the-original-puzzle-quest-is-coming-to-switch-revealed-1837872582

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Love that game....

Lots of us have been waiting patiently for Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Trilogy on the Switch.
    Must haves on physical media for me.

A lot of people are hoping for SNES games to be added to the Nintendo Switch Online service. It's regressive, in that when you look at what the Wii had back in 2006 and how limited that system was technologically. Yet it was lightyears ahead by comparison and people would seem almost grateful if it does happen tonight that SNES games are added(2 and a half years into its lifespan). Remember, not only is this service infinitely worse, you don't own the games either. If it does happen, it'll cost more too.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lots of us have been waiting patiently for Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Trilogy on the Switch.
    Must haves on physical media for me.

That would be nice. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door would be another Gamecube game that you'd imagine would be relatively easy compared to others to HD'ify, given that it's 2D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Here's a Tweet from Nintendo a couple of weeks ago.

It may be nothing, but it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo have dropped a hint about an upcoming unannounced game. I liked this response.
    EClto30WwAcLPV6?format=jpg&name=small

Oh jesus. That surely means...nope, I'm not even saying it. But surely it does?

Oh jesus.

Edit: the mario needing a "holiday" pic, I mean. Of course.

A lot of people are hoping for SNES games to be added to the Nintendo Switch Online service. It's regressive, in that when you look at what the Wii had back in 2006 and how limited that system was technologically. Yet it was lightyears ahead by comparison and people would seem almost grateful if it does happen tonight that SNES games are added(2 and a half years into its lifespan). Remember, not only is this service infinitely worse, you don't own the games either. If it does happen, it'll cost more too.

That's the spirit

That would be nice. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door would be another Gamecube game that you'd imagine would be relatively easy compared to others to HD'ify, given that it's 2D.

Terrible thing is I have them all for my GC!
    But I'd buy them all again in a heart beat

• Advertisement

That's the spirit

I do my best. I'm having a few beers now watching this Direct, so watch out. :D

Nintendo Direct - 04.09.2019

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kYViztz-Gww

Advertisement