Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Pretty weak overall for me. Ninja Gaiden is the most interesting for me, and I’ll likely get Skyward Sword as I’ve never played it. Expectations are low for it. They better rerelease the other HD remasters later on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Jesus that was seriously weak.

If nothing else, it's convinced me I need to buy a PS5.

Feck all good on that to be fair. I finally bought spiderman cause nothing else is coming out and the 100 euro credit I had in the account was haunting me. Its good but not Nintendo good. Triggers on the controller are awesome with the resistance I must say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not fair to say it was weak. No big stand out there but plenty of games that look like they will be really good.

It's the niche where the Switch stands out instead of being a triple A playing machine like the other 2. Saw at least 6 games that will be exclusive to the system that interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

well on the bright side, they didnt specifically mention zeldas 35th anniversary so they will surly have a direct for that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭McFly85

Mario Golf was the best thing about that, it looks to have a single player mode although I’m not sure it’ll be a patch on advance tour.

Skyward sword is fine, but they’re going to charge €60 to play it with buttons, I’ll wait for a sale.

The rest was meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When they're announcing a physical version of a game that's been out for months in Hades, you know they're low on actual new games.

People say this every time. And every time Nintendo announce multiple Directs during the year announcing big games.

Nintendo don't announce everything at once and hold back games until a few weeks or days before release. They'll do it again. He practically said at the end they've more stuff coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not fair to say it was weak. No big stand out there but plenty of games that look like they will be really good.

It's the niche where the Switch stands out instead of being a triple A playing machine like the other 2. Saw at least 6 games that will be exclusive to the system that interest me.

I know. Golf, ninja Gaiden ghouls and ghosts, Skyward sword etc.
    I was hoping for a few big hitters on the snes emulator to release after presentation all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't say there was a lack of content. Just not a lot I was interested in.
    No More Heroes 3, Splatoon 3, likely Skyward Sword and maybe Ninja Gaiden.

Though that was poor Skyward Sword advertising. How do they expect to sell any copies without advertising Groose?
    Oh and I guess I need those joycon, simply so can charge a pair while playing with a pair

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That is probably the worst and most dissapointing Direct I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If they're going to re-release Skyward Sword then they better have an option to modify Fi's hints. They ruined the experience for me last time. Some dungeon puzzles would have been really good if we were actually let solve them.

Splatoon 3 I'm stoked for. Who's developing Mario golf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Mario golf looks good - speed golf - nice.

Capcom collection looks great - but how much for each game. Some stellar games on there.

That new version of ghosts n goblins looks very ropey.

A lot, a lot of rpg eee stuff, not for me.

And FPS, e.g. Splatoon 3 is good, if you're into Splatoon. At least it's original in that genre.

Skyward Sword HD looks good. SS is a very good Zelda game, maybe they'll remove/curtail the repetitive bits.
    Worth it if you haven't played it before. It looks pretty much unchanged to the Wii version. Graphics a little bit more polished.
    I remember getting Skyward Sword + a Zelda gold wii mote for 50 quid in a package in Smyths when it came out.
    I'd say this will be 60 quid for the game + 80 quid for those joycon drifters.

Nothing else Zelda wise. They'll probably have other stuff for the 35 anniversary later.
    Have to wait until 23:59 31/12/2021 for BOTW2 stuff it seems. But I'd say it's going to be a cracker.

Overall, very disappointing for me, considering it was 50 minutes!
    The Switch is host to a ton of games now, maybe a lot of so-so stuff being sold for top dollar on Switch.
    Was hoping for some stone cold clean cut Nintendo classic stuff.
    But a lot of frantic noisy bat **** crazy stuff hiding poor gameplay.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Who's developing Mario golf?

Camelot. So now they’ve done Tennis and Golf, maybe finally after that they can give me that Golden Sun remaster I want!

McFly85 wrote: »
    Camelot. So now they’ve done Tennis and Golf, maybe finally after that they can give me that Golden Sun remaster I want!

they did the n64 golf game, which is a fav of mine

Project Triangle looks so good. Can't wait for that.

Still more sports to do.

So looks like Chaos is being reflected in Splatoon 3 anyway. Could've been very similar looking to 2 if order won

Are Camelot back developing it? They haven't made one for a while and the series has suffered while they were knocking it out of the park with Everyone's Gold on Playstation. Would be great if they are back as their Golf RPGs were insanely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I must say, I thought it was funny when he went into detail to explain how they ‘solved’ the motion controls for the sword - “you push right to swing the sword to the right, left to swing to the left, down to swing the sword down...” etc :)

GnG insta purchase for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Well that was a shower a' shyte lol

The only games I'm interested in are Samurai Warriors 5 and Triangle Strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

An OK Direct. Went in with little to no hopes and hoping to be surprised. Mario Golf, Fall Guys and Skyward Sword (never played) were the stand outs. Will probably get the Age of Calamity DLC too. Other than that, nothing interested me but I'm sure it will interest some people.

An OK Direct. Went in with little to no hopes and hoping to be surprised. Mario Golf, Fall Guys and Skyward Sword (never played) were the stand outs. Will probably get the Age of Calamity DLC too. Other than that, nothing interested me but I'm sure it will interest some people.

I'm still baffled by how many people actually love Age of Calamity when the original Hyrule Warriors wasn't that much talked about, and everyone always crapped all over the Dynasty Warriors/Musou-style games. Once Zelda does that style, though, it's somehow revelled. I can name a ton of Musou games that Hyrule couldn't touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Flat ending. Trying to flog Skyward Sword with dodgy motion controls and ropey HD upscale.
    Splatoon 3 is as similar to Splatoon 2 as that was to the original. Can't get excited about Mario Golf as the 3DS one wasn't good. If I'm having to look back 20 years to get excited its not a good sign. Project Triangle Strategy might be good but Octopath Traveller was fine but not exactly great, other than graphics. No More Heroes 3 would be a lot more exciting if Travis Strikes Back didn't exist. That World's End game may be good based on past work.

I don't want to be too harsh as developing anything is a pain the last 15 months or so but Nintendo's over reliance on old rope is really evident the last few years. Maybe they are saving games for the next system but even the major announcements talked about for this year are like a Metroid Trilogy, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes or a Zelda Collection. Is there any new Donkey Kong, is Bayonetta 3 coming out on Switch at all, maybe a WarioWare game or an update on Metroid Prime 4, it was announced nearly 4 years ago and delay 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

If BOTW2 is really behind Splatoon 3 (probably shouldn’t have 2 online games on the same system surely? Will split the player base unfairly imo) and not just being kept under wraps, do ye think we’re looking at a similar case as BOTW - last game on the old system, first on the new? No problem from me if that’s the case tbh.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are Camelot back developing it? They haven't made one for a while and the series has suffered while they were knocking it out of the park with Everyone's Gold on Playstation. Would be great if they are back as their Golf RPGs were insanely good.

They are indeed, but they also did World Tour on the 3DS - a fine game, but single player mode had no real RPG elements to speak of as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm still baffled by how many people actually love Age of Calamity when the original Hyrule Warriors wasn't that much talked about, and everyone always crapped all over the Dynasty Warriors/Musou-style games. Once Zelda does that style, though, it's somehow revelled. I can name a ton of Musou games that Hyrule couldn't touch.

It was the first musou game I ever tried and I only tried it because of the BOTW connection. Loved it. Didn't think I'd love the style but wanted to see the story. Turns out I loved the gameplay. Will definitely play more of that style of game in future.

It was the first musou game I ever tried and I only tried it because of the BOTW connection. Loved it. Didn't think I'd love the style but wanted to see the story. Turns out I loved the gameplay. Will definitely play more of that style of game in future.

I suppose it's good in a sense that it eases people into the genre if they never tried it before.

But I'm directing my criticism towards those that passed those games off as garbage for years, then all of a sudden they're good because Link is in it.

Although, maybe I should be admiring Nintendo for doing it, instead of being a sour hipster clinging on to my precious musou games :pac:

If you do plan on expanding yourself on more of them, I recommend Dynasty Warriors 8 or Samurai Warriors 4. If you enjoy any of those, then you have Samurai Warriors 5 to look forward to :D

Haven't played Age of Calamity yet, but looking at what's in the expansion pass it doesn't seem to be any story mode.

From ign
    Nintendo outlined the contents of two "Waves" of content coming later this year, both of which will be purchasable for $20 beginning on May 28. Buying the expansion will also net you a purchase bonus of two new costumes for Link.

The first wave of content releases in June, and includes an expanded roster of characters, new weapon types, new challenges in the Royal Ancient Lab, and new enemies to fight.

The second wave, coming in November, will bring new character vignettes, new stages, a further expanded roster, and new battle skills for existing characters.

At the moment, this expansion does not appear to add to the existing story of the game in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

In case anyone wanted to know, Nintendo did their usual shtick and had some Japan exclusive games shown where more Western titles fitted into the Direct. Nothing major though.

A Shin-chan game (cant stand its artstyle or Doraemons)

A Calugula sequel (yeah I dunno, I did watch the anime and something trapped in bizzare world where an AI trys to appease peoples wishes or something, seems basic AJRPG combat)

Baseball

• Registered Users Posts: 55,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Capcom games are €14.99 each for 3 different packs (for 3 different year ranges).
    There is a bundle of all 3 for €39.99 (saving a fiver).
    10 games per bundle, 1943 is free.
    I think the first bundle is best by a long way (I'm showing my age!)
    Ghosts 'n Goblins is an individual download, or free if you buy the 30 game bundle.

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 1:Dawn of the Arcade (’84 – ’88)
    VULGUS
    PIRATE SHIP HIGEMARU
    COMMANDO
    SECTION Z
    Tatakai no Banka
    LEGENDARY WINGS
    BIONIC COMMANDO
    FORGOTTEN WORLDS
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 2:Arcade Revolution (’89 – ’92)
    STRIDER
    DYNASTY WARS
    FINAL FIGHT
    1941 - Counter Attack -
    Senjo no OkamiⅡ
    MEGA TWINS
    CARRIER AIR WING
    STREET FIGHTER II - The World Warrior -
    CAPTAIN COMMANDO
    VARTH - Operation Thunderstorm -

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 3:Arcade Evolution (’92 – ’01)
    WARRIORS OF FATE
    STREET FIGHTER II' - Hyper Fighting -
    SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO
    Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment -
    CYBERBOTS - FULLMETAL MADNESS -
    19XX - The War Against Destiny -
    Battle Circuit
    Giga Wing
    1944 - The Loop Master -
    Progear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Enjoyed the direct, even if it wasn't great.

Happy to get a date for No More Heroes and more Danganronpa style games is always great even if Zanki Zero was thoroughly meh.

The story mode for mario golf looked cool.

A competitive third person free to play online star wars shooter on switch :confused:

I thought the mario all stars collection was overpriced, but now it's just one 10 year old Zelda game for the full price of a new one. Any interest I had is gone with that.
    Really wish the virtual console was still a thing on switch.

Weird choice to end on Splatoon 3 since it's not out until next year. Normally they're pretty good at announcing games close to release so not sure why they thought there was a pressing need for the world to know more splatoon is coming.

I'm pretty sure that SMT V, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid are just figments of my imagination at this stage.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    In case anyone wanted to know, Nintendo did their usual shtick and had some Japan exclusive games shown where more Western titles fitted into the Direct. Nothing major though.

A Calugula sequel (yeah I dunno, I did watch the anime and something trapped in bizzare world where an AI trys to appease peoples wishes or something, seems basic AJRPG

Caligula 1 was released over here but it was a dung port of the ps vita game with some textures redone. It had an interesting combat system but the game sucked balls.

Advertisement