Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Baseball

Are there any good baseball games even on the Switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So what time today is the treehouse with all the real announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I would love that game in English!! Looks excellent. There were rumours that MLB The Show would be coming to Switch now that Playstation exclusivity has ended. But Sony has announced The Show 21 for PS4/5 and xBox only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know it has been said here, last night, but it is worth saying it again...

I wonder if they are going to save their really big announcements for dedicated Directs later in the year?
    I mean, they aren't going to let the anniversary of LoZ slip by without something significant?
    And, if Metroid Prime 4 is finally going to make an appearance this year, one would imagine that the release of Metroid Prime Trilogy would be a common-sense move, to raise awareness of the franchise amongst the great ignorant unwashed?

Or this is all just wishful thinking... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know it has been said here, last night, but it is worth saying it again...

I wonder if they are going to save their really big announcements for dedicated Directs later in the year?
    I mean, they aren't going to let the anniversary of LoZ slip by without something significant?
    And, if Metroid Prime 4 is finally going to make an appearance this year, one would imagine that the release of Metroid Prime Trilogy would be a common-sense move, to raise awareness of the franchise amongst the great ignorant unwashed?

Or this is all just wishful thinking... :(

Feels like we have been saying this for about 2 years at this stage :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Outer Wilds really should excite people more, I know it's out a year or so on other formats but it really is game of the year stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Highly doubt Metroid Prime 4 will be released anytime this year. We might get a teaser later in the year. Or possibly a demo but not a whole lot of gameplay. Prime won't even be a killer app for Nintendo anyway.

If they're going to keep doing remasters then I really want F Zero GX. It's long overdue. :(

True, no F-Zero since F-Zero GX on the GC!
    Actually, that's not true, apparently F-Zero on the GBA was the last one, in 2004!

Holy moley, I just checked on F-Zero Climax on ebay, thinking I might pick a copy up... the prices range from €90 on upwards!
    Looks amazing though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

They'll have to space out releases too. I can see the Metroid Prime Trilogy launching at least 5-6 months before Prime 4 and no other large releases in the same fiscal quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

The switch is really turning into a 'best of' console with all the remasters and re releases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see that Ninja Gaiden collection is multi platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I meant to add that I play Super Mega Baseball 2 which is not photorealistic aka The Show but plays a good game of baseball. Very customisable and the skill levelling system is incredibly fair.

There is now version 3 available and I think both come with a demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Thought that was a good direct to be honest. First half of the year is looking pretty healthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just thinking about it more it's very obvious that Nintendo have way more to show. They won't announce their big hitters as the big games can carry a direct on their own. BotW 2 missing 2021 is a big disappointment as I thought they'd have a 35th anniversary for zelda this year with rereleases capped off with BotW 2 in Q4.

I would guess that their strategy is BOTW2 to come out at the same time as the Switch 2 / pro offering much better performance over what the version on the current switch provides.

So to help boost the sales base of the next switch basically.

Nintendo have done this with Zelda games before (not really with a performance boost) on a aged console / new console

Gamecube / Wii -> Twilight princess

Wii U / Switch -> BOTW

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Comparison of Wii and Switch versions of SS. Definitely looks much sharper on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Outer Wilds really should excite people more, I know it's out a year or so on other formats but it really is game of the year stuff.

Microsoft's Game Pass has almost ruined me for games like this on the Switch. For me smaller indie games are better at home on the Switch and in handheld mode but it's hard for me to justify buying them when I get them for practically nothing on Game Pass. It was the same with Spiritfarer, Haven and Star Renegades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Mr E wrote: »
    Comparison of Wii and Switch versions of SS. Definitely looks much sharper on Switch.

It should do its a 10 year old game! :)

Seems like no real original thought at Nintendo these days just re-releases and sequels. Now as someone new to Nintendo thats not too bad, but I wouldnt be impressed as a Wii U owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Microsoft's Game Pass has almost ruined me for games like this on the Switch. For me smaller indie games are better at home on the Switch and in handheld mode but it's hard for me to justify buying them when I get them for practically nothing on Game Pass. It was the same with Spiritfarer, Haven and Star Renegades.

SoR 4, Xenocrisis, Katana Zero, Neon Abyss, Cyber Shadow, The Touryst, Untitled Goose Game (maybe gone now though) also for me :o

Not to mention the great Xbox games they port - Ori, Cuphead etc. All games I would buy on Switch above Xbox tbh but when they're sitting there free to play I have to really, really want to play it handheld to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Seems like no real original thought at Nintendo these days just re-releases and sequels. Now as someone new to Nintendo thats not too bad, but I wouldnt be impressed as a Wii U owner.
    They made you take an oath when purchased a Wii U in its day, you had to commit to a life of pain, suffering and neglect. It was like joining an order but somehow sadder and more derelict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just thinking about it more it's very obvious that Nintendo have way more to show. They won't announce their big hitters as the big games can carry a direct on their own. BotW 2 missing 2021 is a big disappointment as I thought they'd have a 35th anniversary for zelda this year with rereleases capped off with BotW 2 in Q4.

Aye, if you look at the release dates the furthest out we got was August 27 (NMH3), so apart from ProjTriangle and Splatoon3 with 2022 dates then most have been earmarked for the next 6 months (kinda like they said they would when they announced the Direct). No mention of their big Halloween/Xmas title or anything in September/October (usually had a few larger titles arrive after Summer) but guess what....there tends to be a big industry even at the start of June where they announce a good bit of stuff for the later half of the year.

As for the 35th anniversary stuff, they didnt mention anything about the Mario one till early March last year, and we still have stuff arriving for it now (3D World/Bowsers Fury port and the Animal Crossing items) since I think they are working it off the fiscal years (where April 1st would have been the first day of the year), which is why the 3D All Stars bundle and Mario 35 end on March 31st as the bundle and access ends at the end of the fiscal year.

seems like they only bring out the really good new stuff from their core IP in the last while to push new hardware to gain momentum (e.g. BOTW, Odyssey on Switch) and once it has momentum (which is critical for a system) then it's been quite lazy, particularly in the last 18 months, hoarding the stuff people want to coincide which a new system....

the Wii U rehashes have been excessive tbh and now they are going back to Wii-era stuff (Skyward Sword)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Mucashinto wrote: »
    SoR 4, Xenocrisis, Katana Zero, Neon Abyss, Cyber Shadow, The Touryst, Untitled Goose Game (maybe gone now though) also for me :o

Not to mention the great Xbox games they port - Ori, Cuphead etc. All games I would buy on Switch above Xbox tbh but when they're sitting there free to play I have to really, really want to play it handheld to justify it.

And technically you can play them handheld right now through xCloud on an android device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Same here. A lot of games Id definitely jump on on Switch but I check Game Pass and there they are. If an indie seriously impresses me though and its on Game Pass I often pick it up on Switch, did that with Spiritfarer and a few others

Capcom Arcade Stadium Pack 3:Arcade Evolution (’92 – ’01)
    WARRIORS OF FATE
    STREET FIGHTER II' - Hyper Fighting -
    SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO
    Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment -
    CYBERBOTS - FULLMETAL MADNESS -
    19XX - The War Against Destiny -
    Battle Circuit
    Giga Wing
    1944 - The Loop Master -
    Progear

This one for me, Progear, Giga Wing, 19XX and Cyberbots make this an absolute bargain, I'd pay the typical €7 for each if they were released like the typical Arcade Archive titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Capcom had some seriously excellent games back in the day !

for a full price re-issue of a game from 2 generations back that's the least that would be expected

the most amazing thing about this is that it actually makes Mario 3D all-stars look slightly-less (very slightly) of a gouge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I won't be double dipping on Skyward Sword. Does look a lot crisper.
    Still looks good, but the characters look so goofy in that game.
    They really, really, sorted the art style out for BOTW. BOTW looks brilliant.
    Even N64 3D Zelda looked a more consistent and just better.
    Something just off with the SS look.
    Some of the characters are so annoying: Groose ... never again!

Got the Wii version with a gold remote for 50 quid I think on day 1 in Smyths.
    Now, don't think Nintendo will be offering the game for that price + joycons.
    Solid gold remote too! What were Nintendo thinking. :)

Took me years to finish the game, got stuck at times!
    Eventually completed it.
    There are some great dungeons and puzzles in it.
    But there are one or 2 **** sections.
    The dungeon where you can move parts of it to switch into the past or present is very clever.
    You can have a bubble of time around you if I remember.

I did like the motion control for the sword. Felt good !
    Also fun for crossing those strategically placed tightropes.
    And now, you can use buttons ! Reddit will rejoice !!
    There was the scary as **** sections, where the ghouls come to kill you and you've a certain amount of time to reset the clock ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The first party games in the few years of WiiU's lifespan was a golden period for Nintendo first party games when you look back at it.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    The first party games in the few years of WiiU's lifespan was a golden period for Nintendo first party games when you look back at it.

I don't think that you can really say that

slim enough list first-party wise, slimmer still when you take out BOTW (on switch also) and HD remakes

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wii-u?sort=desc

Advertisement