Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

ERG89 wrote: »
    The first party games in the few years of WiiU's lifespan was a golden period for Nintendo first party games when you look back at it.

More like a golden pee. Long droughts and turds like Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Star Fox Zero and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival. With rare good games like Paper Mario: Colour Splash and BOTW which was delayed and delayed for Switch, with the Wii U version shoved into a dark corner once the Switch was revealed. No Collector's Edition for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was some stunning content on the WiiU, just not enough believers to buy into the unconventional console.
    The Switch is an excellent opportunity for the millions of non-WiiU Switch owners to play those games.
    Unfortunately, most of that content has been exploited by now, though I would love to see a more conventionally controller StarFox Zero find a release, as it had a lot going for it, controls aside.

It should do its a 10 year old game! :)

Seems like no real original thought at Nintendo these days just re-releases and sequels. Now as someone new to Nintendo thats not too bad, but I wouldnt be impressed as a Wii U owner.

Skyward sword currently available for 20 dollars on wii u btw but it will be 60 on switch

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Switch = wiiU with (excellent) 3rd party support.

This is canon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Is Skyward Sword only digital?
    I'd probably get it at that price if physical as its the only one I've missed out on in the series, but digital.... I dunno....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Switch = wiiU with (excellent) 3rd party support.

This is canon :)

It also goes the other way. The eShop is fun of mobile shovelware so it's hard to filter out the great games without some proper research or trusted reviews.

Seriously though, I'm not sure there's any 2 console generations that have been so similar to each other?

Really the wiiU name is misleading imo, it would make a lot more sense if it was called the SwitchU. They really seem to have taken the wiiU controller and turned it into the Switch.

wiiU owners made a great sacrifice so that Switch owners could benefit from the spoils and I for one thank them for their service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Like most, I probably set my expectations a bit too high for this Direct. There was plenty of decent stuff announced but when your mind is racing with thoughts of Metroid, Bayonetta, BOTW2, new consoles on NSO and dreams of FZero/1080/Waverace resurfacing, then it can only end in disappointment!

Delighted to see Mario Golf announced and can only hope it has all the challenge modes from the Gamecube version too. Loved the birdie challenges on the Par 3 courses.

I have Skyward Sword on Wii and it's the only 3D Zelda that I haven't finished. At €60, I think I'll wait it out for a while but might pick it up if it goes down to around €40 at some stage.

When the Splatoon trailer started, I was hoping for a single player spinoff instead of Splatoon 3 but hopefully there is a robust campaign mode included.

I reckon we'll get another Nindie direct in the 5 or 6 weeks and looks like there will be some Pokemon announcements next week (Pokemon Snap being the only one I'm interested in).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re: Splatoon 3, I'm the same.
    I really want to play a decent 1st person campaign mode, Call of Duty with paint...
    Also... while I'm off in fantasy land, I'd like to see the franchise spawn a racing title as well, which might work well in a snowboarding/sandsurfing kind of title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

In relation to Splatoon 3,I never really went near the campaign. All my time is spent on multiplayer. So all I'm hoping for is some cool new game modes to try out with mates.

• Advertisement

I found this funny.

image0.jpg

Nintendo are obviously going to hold back "the good stuff" for the Switch 2 launch at this stage

oh look you should buy the new new thing right now because it will have the better BOTW2 experience with 60 fps vs 30, HDR screen, higher rez.

fooking gaslighters, that's all they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

The spell Nintendo had over me broke this week. I'm a free man now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

The Direct itself was fine. It had quite substantial news to satiate fans over the coming months - which was what was said in its announcement tweet. The problem is, of course, our expectations. It had been over 500 days since the last *proper* Direct so we were naturally imagining that Nintendo would reveal every game it is working on right now.

E3 is happening this year so Nintendo will no doubt use this occasion to showcase what it plans to launch in the second half of this year. I'm sure we'll also get surprise reveals with close releases - Paper Mario, Hyrule Warriors, 3D All-Stars - like they did last year.

The Direct was also very Pokémon-less so we're obviously getting some major news next week. Zelda 35th anniversary much later in the year, maybe the focus of its E3 Direct with BOTW2?

Yeah, E3 or virtual E3 should be very interesting as MS and Sony have their new consoles to go head to head, and Nintendo has a huge audience again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Will wait to see what changes if any are made to Skyward Sword. There's definitely a few quality of life improvements that could be implemented.

It's still a good game with some very good dungeons (if Fi didn't spoil everything for you!)

Thought Splatoon 2s single player campaign was really good. Hoping 3 has a meatier campaign.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Will wait to see what changes if any are made to Skyward Sword. There's definitely a few quality of life improvements that could be implemented.

It's still a good game with some very good dungeons (if Fi didn't spoil everything for you!)

Thought Splatoon 2s single player campaign was really good. Hoping 3 has a meatier campaign.

I think we'll definitely see some QoL changes in SS, especially with Fi.

I have both Splatoons but still haven't played them much - I must. Splatoon 3's reveal trailer definitely hinted at something meatier though like a sandbox type environment. What's perhaps most interesting is the development time. There were only two years between Splatoon and its sequel. There could potentially be five years between 2 and 3. I know 2 had a lot of DLC but that was only over a year or so. So with 3, this might allow the series to expand more given it will have more time in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have a plan to get Bravely Default II and Persona Strikers then hunker down until April and hope for some better news and directs

On the plus side if that worldwide asskicking from the joy-con drift issue comes through in my best Rodney Dangerfield voice

hey everybody we're all gonna get laid*

*(a free set of Skyward Sword Joy-cons)

YoshiSays wrote: »
    The spell Nintendo had over me broke this week. I'm a free man now. :)

Now I ask you, do you really believe this? ;) Nobody breaks free - and who would want to live bereft of the joy & frustration only ninty can bring :)

If the next console is fully backwards compatible, all these ports will take on a very different light to me. To be able to switch on a new machine and play (graphically fine imo) Mario Kart 8 or BOTW and the wiiU ports and the suped-up new releases...ooh, please do this nintendo.

SS improvement.

Would you like to battle the Imprisoned again ? Y/N
    Would you like FI to shut up ? Y/N
    Did you know you could play this on Wii ? Y/N

:)

• Advertisement

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Now I ask you, do you really believe this? ;) Nobody breaks free - and who would want to live bereft of the joy & frustration only ninty can bring :)

If the next console is fully backwards compatible, all these ports will take on a very different light to me. To be able to switch on a new machine and play (graphically fine imo) Mario Kart 8 or BOTW and the wiiU ports and the suped-up new releases...ooh, please do this nintendo.

ah here that is just crazy talk - that would close the door on selling you for a second time the stuff that you already bought

that's an absolutely central tenet of the Nintendo business model now :pac:

glasso wrote: »
    ah here that is just crazy talk - that would close the door on selling you for a second time the stuff that you already bought

that's an absolutely central tenet of the Nintendo business model now :pac:

Except their handheld business model has been exactly about backwards compatibility.
    As was the GC/Wii and the Wii/WiiU
    So, I'd say there's an excellent chance the Switch replacement will be backwards compatible with physical and digital media

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Except their handheld business model has been exactly about backwards compatibility.
    As was the GC/Wii and the Wii/WiiU
    So, I'd say there's an excellent chance the Switch replacement will be backwards compatible with physical and digital media

you'd hope so - there would probably be no actual technical reason for it not to have given that if they are going for another hybrid console that it would be most likely another Nvidia chip

it was a bit tongue-in-cheek and a reference to the Wii U - Switch reissues.

Was thinking they have their B teams working on the ports and getting the entire planet sucked into Nintendo again while the A teams are working on the new stuff to keep them in business for another 30 years.

Also thinking the new BOTW will be totally different game to BOTW1. Same world and mechanics but really challenging expectations. Like MM was. I bet you get to play the story as Link and/or Zelda. Maybe even other characters too. It would be a huge marketing win for them too. They want to get everyone involved in gaming. Also, that BOTW team can do no wrong at the moment, so I'd say Nintendo will give them as much time and space as they need.

Also, really interested to see where the Mario team take Mario after Odyssey. Seems like they are not afraid to mix it up either.

Pokémon Presents *cough* Direct *cough* tomorrow @ 3pm Irish Time.

Probably calling them Presents from now on as news on mobile games incoming rather than focusing on Nintendo platforms. Rumoured Diamond/Pearl remakes (either traditional Let's go).

Don't have high hopes for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Been Pokemon Presents for a few years now it's the 25 year anniversary on Saturday so I'm excited for news tomorrow I'm guessing a couple of Switch games info on New Snap info on Pokémon Unite and Pokémon Go only 20 minutes long * believe

Been Pokemon Presents for a few years now it's the 25 year anniversary on Saturday so I'm excited for news tomorrow I'm guessing a couple of Switch games info on New Snap info on Pokémon Unite and Pokémon Go only 20 minutes long * believe

Pretty sure it was Pokémon Direct before last June and now since then, they are showing off their mobile games. Not a big deal anyway but just less time for Switch titles.

For anyone who can't read the Tweet:

"A new Indie World showcase arrives on Wednesday, April 14th at 17:00 (UK time)! Tune in for a livestream featuring roughly 20 minutes focused on fresh and new indie games coming to Nintendo Switch."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"fresh"? Splatoon 3 shadow drop confirmed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Came here for a big announcement.

That's not going to happen until E3.

Advertisement