Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

glasso wrote: »

BOTW2 bit didn't look much if any different to BOTW imo

If I was to guess I would say they are keeping the basic map from the first game and just adding the sky sections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Remake after remake, sequel after sequel.

Nintendo seems to have lost the ability of generating new games, IP or franchises at this point. Does ANYONE care at this stage at yet another character being added to Super Smash Brothers but Nintendo used up nearly 5 minutes of a 40 minute presentation on it. Again!! BOTW 2, Mario Golf, Metroid, Mario Party. Every single one of their own games they have done before and before and before in some cases.

Even the new rumoured console will just be a 'remaster' of their current one!

I found myself skipping the game-intro videos and 'not actual game footage' filler to see what the games ACTUALLY look like. The whole thing was a bore from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd buy a Devil Jin amiibo in fact I'd buy 20 if they release

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doodah7 wrote: »

Nintendo seems to have lost the ability of generating new games, IP or franchises at this point. Does ANYONE care at this stage at yet another character being added to Super Smash Brothers but Nintendo used up nearly 5 minutes of a 40 minute presentation on it. Again!! BOTW 2, Mario Golf, Metroid, Mario Party. Every single one of their own games they have done before and before and before in some cases.

Even the new rumoured console will just be a 'remaster' of their current one!

I found myself skipping the game-intro videos and 'not actual game footage' filler to see what the games ACTUALLY look like. The whole thing was a bore from start to finish.

Smash, as far as I know, remains super popular and while I have no interest in fighting games it's nice to see a game constantly updated and upgraded - rather than patched a coupled of times then forgotten.

As to the rest, well, that's on us TBH. Nintendo's 1st party games consistently sell like hotcakes, so why wouldn't they keep remixing the IPs that almost always work? I don't disagree with the idea Nintendo seem averse to making new IPs - Splatoon notwithstanding - but equally their headline series' are probably the consistently strongest in gaming. Sony & Microsoft would kill for the line-up you just quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anyone played the newer Fatal Frames, how do they hold up or is it more of the same? Currently playing Project Zero 2 and I am really liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Doodah7 wrote: »

etc. etc.

It's a good thing that Nintendo are the only company doing this really, isn't it? Imagine that Nintendo have the sheer gall to release effectively 8 (main) Metroid games in 35 years!!! (and 2 remakes...)
    As opposed to say... 12 Assassins Creed games in 14 years.

They must be hanging their heads in shame that they're making another Zelda game that's made in the same engine/style as the previous one that was pretty much universally lauded for making an open world game that was actually enjoyable and rewarding to explore the world, rather than just having a map full of icons. :rolleyes:
    jester77 wrote: »
    Anyone played the newer Fatal Frames, how do they hold up or is it more of the same? Currently playing Project Zero 2 and I am really liking it.
    I've actually only played Maiden of Black Water, so can't speak as to how it compares to the earlier games, but I found it very enjoyable. Of course, the Wii U had a slight advantage that the gamepad could act as your camera, but I've no doubt that it'll translate well to more traditional controls, or to using the motion controls in other controllers to aim the camera.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Complaining about remasters I can sort of get (but, you know, just don't buy the bloody thing if you don't want it) but complaining about sequels is just baffling. This isn't a new thing, and Nintendo's track record of designing games around gameplay and then assigning an IP to the game is better than many.

I mean, they're nowhere close to AC, FIFA or Madden in terms of endlessly churning out sequels that don't actually vary the gameplay significantly. (And even if they were... just don't buy the bloody things. They're videogames, not insulin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Pretty good Direct in general.

The Smash reveals don't do anything for me but I did like the fake out with Ganondorf at the start (and Kirby floating away at the end).

Very happy with Metroid Dread, Super Monkey Ball remasters, Warioware and the little glimpse of BOTW2.

Picking up Mario Golf next week so also good to see it will be supported with free updates.

I do get the feeling that they have held back a big Christmas game to be announced around September or so though....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Apart from new controls and performance boost, is there anything added to Skyward Sword, that isn't unlocked by Amiibo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Two simultaneously true things:

1. It would be absolutely incredible and long overdue if Nintendo put more resources into developing brand new, original series and games. Arms and Splatoon are tantalising glimpses at what they can do when they start from absolute scratch.

2. Nintendo is perhaps the only prominent game studio consistently willing to use sequels to long-running series to rebuild and reinvent the basics. A Nintendo sequel is a very different prospect to a Ubisoft sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Precisely on the above. Nintendo may constantly reach for the same clatter of IPs, but it's nearly always while reinventing - or at least putting interesting spins onto - those very same series. It's rare any two "standard" Mario platformers are alike. Nintendo are nowhere close to the egregious regurgitation many publishers are guilty of with IPs like FIFA - or basically anything created by Ubisoft these days.

As to remakes, I'm always a little disappointed they won't remaster the Punch-Out that was released for the Wii; that was such an excellent little game, that deserves another bout of life on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But some Nintendo sequels or spinoffs start out as new IP then they see if they can use existing characters, like Fysh said. Like Splatoon was going to include Mario characters at one point but they found the Inklings would work better.

Ringfit is another new IP as well as Game builder Garage. They do have multiple new IPs but just because they're not traditional or AAA games, they don't get counted by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I can't wait for Mario Golf. I've been dying for a golf game for ages so I'll definitely be picking it up at some stage next weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's absolutely fair to say they do make new IPs like RingFit, GameBuilder or Labo. These are imaginative and worthwhile projects, no question whatsoever. They are aimed at particular and in some cases niche audiences, but hey what game isn't? But it's also fair to say new 'core' games from Nintendo - on the scale of a new Mario, Zelda or Metroid - are thin on the ground.

Also fair to criticise some of their remake and re-release policies, especially given the often rather high cost for these releases. As great as Nintendo are at sequels in the general sense, they certainly ain't above recycling stuff at a premium price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Also fair to criticise some of their remake and re-release policies, especially given the often rather high cost for these releases. As great as Nintendo are at sequels in the general sense, they certainly ain't above recycling stuff at a premium price.

It is precisely this that I have a problem with. The repeated re-release of Wii U games on Switch and charging full whack for the privilege is just a little bit galling.

I have no real problem with sequels per se - other than the relative lack of imagination and trading on previous glories - but updating games for the sake of shifting units on a new console or tarting up the graphics slightly is simply lazy and greedy.

Will the next Nintendo console (not the 'Pro' but the one after) feature a raft of 'remastered' Switch games and continue the cycle of hell forever?

Markitron wrote: »
    If I was to guess I would say they are keeping the basic map from the first game and just adding the sky sections

I'm sure that it will be good but if it's too samey tho I wouldn't like that

but basically it's not going to have anywhere near the impact that BOTW did due to all the innovations that had that the second one will undoubtedly keep so people need to temper their expectations I suppose

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Wii U thing is galling if you're one of the six people who bought a Wii U originally, but that system failed abysmally in commercial terms (worse than the GC AFAIR, though I could be wrong). So the recycling makes business sense as a way to try and bolster the library for the rushed successor. Four years into the Switch's lifespan that excuse does feel a bit worn out, I'll give you that. And either prices should drop or the additional content should increase.

On the price front... To a certain extent I think that's Nintendo. This is the company that bailed on optical media for the Snes, then doubled down on carts for the N64 and managed to make sure its games would routinely cost significantly more than those on rival systems. They are like Apple that way.

I do think it's a bit of a poke in the eye to include the GB Link's Awakening on the Game & Watch after releasing the remaster at a ludicrous price, but that just means I don't buy either of them.

Nintendo do great stuff but the very calculated and cynical delaying and releasing of first party titles to push new hardware adoption is annoying -> inevitably followed by a long wilderness period after the initial quality first-party releases, exacerbated in this gen even more by the large quantity Wii U rereleases and rereleases from even earlier generations.

I hope that Skyward Sword is a massive flop tbh - sorry!

(mind you it can't be costing them much in any case)

Can't believe that they are making such a big hoopla about it.

"That'll learn them"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I swapped my Switch for a PS4 as I wanted to catch up on a number of other games that I'd missed. Based on this, I'm happy enough - nothing this year that screams "Damn. I need to get a Switch again" - I'll more than likely end up preordering any Switch Pro, but short of BotW 2, nothing there jumped out at me. It's great to get another Metroid game, but honestly, though it looked dull, and like a proof of concept than a full game. Nothing on Bayonetta 3. No new Mario platformer. No new Donkey Kong. Hell, no new Mario Kart - Switch hasn't had an original MK (bar that DIY one.....) - Very meh overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

New Pokémon Unite info tomorrow

Nintendo don't play well with others

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I understand that BotW 2 might have similarities with the first title, but it seems to be a whole lot darker and potentially tie-in to Skyward Sword, with the apparent focus on flight, landmasses in the air and a potential for a very different game, though on the same epic scale.
    Nintendo have never made a lousy LoZ game...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I disagree. Skyward Sword is more than lousy. As some will find out for the first time next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Dark... Time travel... Zelda: BOTW Mask!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

A new Indie World showcase arrives on 11/08 at 17:00 (Irish time)! Tune in for roughly 20 minutes of information on upcoming indie games heading to Nintendo Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hoping for Axiom Verge 2 and Spelunky this week. 🙂

Anyone watching? 5 mins in and nothing grabbing me yet.

Axiom Verge 2 out today. Perfect. 😊

Islanders looks lovely. Also out today. Feck....

Tetris Effect Connected in October - fantastic. 😊

• Advertisement

Loop Hero coming to Switch; while the gorgeous looking Eastward is dropping September 16!

Advertisement