Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords lesure tour 2015

• 01-04-2015 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    I'm trying to plan my cycling calendar, and I can't find a date for the swords lesure tour this year. Any ideas as to when this is happening?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

June 21st... Details will be up on the website in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

07Lapierre wrote: »
    June 21st... Details will be up on the website in the next few days.

Will they really?

Raam wrote: »
    Will they really?

yep...the Swordscc "Webmaster" will be contacted by the organiser with full details (so i'm told)

yep...the Swordscc "Webmaster" will be contacted by the organiser with full details (so i'm told)

He looks forward to this contact ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Do you need a Helmet to do this Tour? :)

• Advertisement

greenmat wrote: »
    Do you need a Helmet to do this Tour? :)

yes but at least you can use a road bike! in fact no TT bikes allowed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

will there be a road closure? will there be a garda outrider to let the speeding peleton go through junctions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do you have to file paperwork with the council for a Sportive?

Inquitus wrote: »

Please don't even joke about that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Just fcuk it at the window of the council office as you are cycling past. "Here's me bleedin paperwork!"

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Just fcuk it at the window of the council office as you are cycling past. "Here's me bleedin paperwork!"

We'll be done for littering then! ( they getcha everyway)

We'll be done for littering then! ( they getcha everyway)

Through an open window then! Sign it "Beasty woz ere". That's exactly how he speaks so it's bound to work!

Please don't even joke about that! :)

Whats the difference between a Sportive and a Race in this regard? A Sportive is possibly more disruptive than a club league race, yet it can go ahead without any paperwork, if that's the case surely the club league could as well?

The difference is a sportive is not a race.

The difference is a sportive is not a race.

But I thought Fingal assessed that a cycle race is not a prescribed road race under the RTA, so what in essence is the difference between a Sportive and a Race? in their eyes? both are organised cycles no? and both will have more than their fair share of breaches of the ROTR?

Inquitus..neither Fingal or the Gardai have an issue with Sportives... So I'm not goin lookin for trouble. Simple as.

Inquitus..neither Fingal or the Gardai have an issue with Sportives... So I'm not goin lookin for trouble. Simple as.

Ok so it's selective application of the same laws to similar events?

Inquitus....RotR or not I suspect 07Lapierre may fook you under a bus at the sportive if you keep up that tone!

HE DOESN'T KNOW!

• Advertisement

Exactly... There's no racing in Fingal and Meath ... But the rest of the country its business as usual. The road traffic act is being enforced to the letter in only two counties.

bcmf wrote: »
    Inquitus....RotR or not I suspect 07Lapierre may fook you under a bus at the sportive if you keep up that tone!

I have no issue with 07Lapierre, just trying to understand whats going on with regard to Fingal Coco and the Gardai, their stance on sportives v club leagues v open races doesn't seem to make logical sense.
    Exactly... There's no racing in Fingal and Meath ... But the rest of the country its business as usual. The road traffic act is being enforced to the letter in only two counties.

But its not even being applied consistently in Fingal, by their own admission a Sportive is no different to the Club League under their interpretation of the law no?

HE DOESN'T KNOW!

I do know....a sportive is NOT A RACE! It is that simple.... :)

If only it were...

I have no issue with 07Lapierre, just trying to understand whats going on with regard to Fingal Coco and the Gardai, their stance on sportives v club leagues v open races doesn't seem to make logical sense.

But its not even being applied consistently in Fingal, by their own admission a Sportive is no different to the Club League under their interpretation of the law no?

It is different...a sportive is not a race... So section 74 or 75 of the RTA does not apply... You don't send a management plan to Fingal wen you intend meeting us at Blakes cross on a Saturday morning?

Of course, Fingal ain't even a real county! Maybe that's their problem? They are trying to show the rest of Dublin that they are big enough to look after themselves? And Meath? Well, we all know what's wrong with that place!

It is different...a sportive is not a race... So section 74 or 75 of the RTA does not apply... You don't send a management plan to Fingal wen you intend meeting us at Blakes cross on a Saturday morning?

But didn't Fingal check with the Dept. and discover the Minister had never prescribed what was a road race, TT etc. and as such that part of the RTA did not apply?
    74.—(1) In this section “road race” means a prescribed class of race, time trial or speed trial on a public road involving persons, vehicles or animals.

But didn't Fingal check with the Dept. and discover the Minister had never prescribed what was a road race, TT etc. and as such that part of the RTA did not apply?

I think that your wife is calling you to come in for your dinner!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Neither Fingal or the Gardai have an issue with Sportives yet

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The 2014 edition of this leisurely 'non-race' set some pretty savage times on the Strava segment closest to my house. I came home from work to find my 2nd place had dropped to 32nd place! :D Hopefully I'll get the day off work this year to rectify that.

So what details exactly am I to put on the website? So far I've got...

- It's on June 21st
    - It's not a race
    - It's not classed different to a race in the eyes of the law
    - Inquitus is a trouble maker

Anything else?

Raam wrote: »
    ......Anything else?
    Refer any queries to JW! That'll cover you. ;)

.a sportive is NOT A RACE! It is that simple.... :)

I wish to counter that argument with 3 words....

"Tour of Louth"

...Your argument dead in the water.

The 2014 edition of this leisurely 'non-race' set some pretty savage times on the Strava segment closest to my house. I came home from work to find my 2nd place had dropped to 32nd place! :D Hopefully I'll get the day off work this year to rectify that.

Eh a tailwind, yes that's it there was a savage tailwind!

"Tour of Louth"

Water? Sounds like triathlete talk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

does this go up to that poxy quarry up the top of a very steep climb in the arsehole of meath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Looking forward to this event. Its well organised (marshalled) and the sambos at the tea stop are nice:pac:. Sorry for going off topic OP but I was just curious to ask if anyone knows why Fingal Tri club have no issues with regards to obtaining a licence to run their race events over the Summer starting next month.

neris wrote: »
    does this go up to that poxy quarry up the top of a very steep climb in the arsehole of meath?
    Think you're referring to Murphy's Quarry above the Nags Head - very much Dublin not Meath.

Think you're referring to Murphy's Quarry above the Nags Head - very much Dublin not Meath.

Nope. That could be Bellewstown too.

Nope. That could be Bellewstown too.
    Of course - forgot about that one. :o

• Advertisement

"Tour of Louth"

Louth is not in Fingal or Meath ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

billyhead wrote: »
    Looking forward to this event. Its well organised (marshalled) and the sambos at the tea stop are nice:pac:. Sorry for going off topic OP but I was just curious to ask if anyone knows why Fingal Tri club have no issues with regards to obtaining a licence to run their race events over the Summer starting next month.

I do believe the went through the correct methods and applications last year for a road closure and licence. IT takes a lot of time and money. I believe the same is being done this year.

Also a 20km spin done in a circuit requires a lot less road closure than a sportive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

billyhead wrote: »
    I was just curious to ask if anyone knows why Fingal Tri club have no issues with regards to obtaining a licence to run their race events over the Summer starting next month.

Must be cos the local police like men in bra tops and speedos.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8iHjtCxfbAdlzhYX1tbvdlVYRtNc8lzlk2NmnCK73jmUOl6OY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Tour of Louth, definitely the fastest Sportive out there. Sure they reward you with gold and platinum medals the faster you go through Stop Signs.

Advertisement