Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motion calibration and distance

• 01-04-2015 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an iPhone 6 last week. I have noticed that everytime I unlock it, and randomly when I am using it, the GPS icon is coming on (and this is obviously draining the battery a bit). I have checked all location services (I have most switched off to never, and a few set to "while using"), and the only one that is constantly running seems to be the Motion Calibration and distance. Anybody know what this is and why it is constantly running?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do you have the status bar icon for system services enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've just checked and yeah it's enabled

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

By the default that should be off. The system is constantly using location services (not necessarily full battery drainging GPS) in the background. By having that enabled, that icon is going to pop up every time the system uses location services for any reason. Unless you’ve noticed a change in battery life, you don’t need to worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

By the default that should be off. The system is constantly using location services (not necessarily full battery drainging GPS) in the background. By having that enabled, that icon is going to pop up every time the system uses location services for any reason. Unless you’ve noticed a change in battery life, you don’t need to worry about it.

By default, motion and calibration should be off? Or the status bar icon for system services?
    What exactly is motion and calibration doing? I only have the phone since last week, and it has been like this since I got it, so I'm not in a position to comment on the battery life!

By default the status bar icon for system services should be off. Motion and calibration should be on.

As for what it does, I haven’t the foggiest. Probably something to do with the iPhone 6’s M8 processor. But tbh only an Apple engineer could explain exactly what all those system location services do, and even if they probably wouldn’t be too sure.

I mean, it could be bug. Those services are generally very buggy. You can try turning them off, but from my own experience doing so can break apps that use location services and the apps aren’t smart enough to tell you to re-enable the setting, or ironically they’ll cause another system service to go rogue instead.

Basically that whole systems services settings panel shouldn’t be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I personally leave the status bar icon on. It is only telling you when a service itself is using the GPS. That way you will know when something is being used. Then you can go in and check it. Turn it off if you feel you do not need it.

I have an iPhone 6, all the systems services turned of except "Find My Iphone" and "Frequent Locations" Sometimes when travelling abroad I briefly turn my "Setting Time Zone On." But I have wondered about not having the "cell Network Search and "Wi-Fi Networking. But I have not noticed any difference. I just see them all as battery drains. Keep them on if you want. In an older phone I'd suggest turning them off to help with your battery.

I have also experimented with the "Motion Calibration and Distance" Turning it on and off for various same length runs. When I first got the phone it came on a lot. Google will show this up as well. People wondered about it like you. Well With my runs, once again I did not notice anything. So I have it set to off. If your using the health app or linked apps a lot, you might feel more comfortable with it on.

Apple give some information on system setting Here

Just from reading about GPS Accuracy on that link. I also have Date & Time set automatically turned off( Heard that can effect your battery too). Yet my time changed when the clocks went forward last week.

Admittedly I am probably aggressive when it comes to turning stuff off that I don't need, to save my battery.

Advertisement