Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL payment

Options
  • 01-04-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Hi, I ordered a package from the US last November which was delivered to my work by DHL. I had to pay a Vat charge of €77 to get the package which I reluctantly paid at the time to the driver, I signed the electronic signature gadget he had and that was that.

Today I received a legal letter from a debt collection agency asking me to pay the same €77 or else I will be brought to court. I've emailed DHL the details already but I'm just wondering what recourse do I have if they say they have no record of my payment because as far as I remember those signature machines don't give a receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Credit Card Statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

homer911 wrote: »
    Credit Card Statement?

Paid the customs charge in cash at the reception in work and signed the electronic tablet. I'm waiting for DHL to get back to me, I'm hoping it's a c**k up on their side, they're notorious for it at this stage anyway which is why I haven't used them since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just ring them and inform them you paid cash, happened me before and it was sorted out no problem at all.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Just ring them and inform them you paid cash, happened me before and it was sorted out no problem at all.

That's reassuring, thanks. I phoned them this morning and the agent told me to send an email to their customs department. I just don't want to have any hassle with a debt collector. Cheers.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely the delivery guy wouldn't have given you the parcel if you hadn't paid anyway? If you don't have the money when they try deliver do they not take it back to the depot and give you a card to go collect with the required amount?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

awec wrote: »
    Surely the delivery guy wouldn't have given you the parcel if you hadn't paid anyway? If you don't have the money when they try deliver do they not take it back to the depot and give you a card to go collect with the required amount?

Sometimes they leave it with you and get you to ring up. My driver always leaves it without payment and I ring up DHL to pay

awec wrote: »

I was told about the customs charge by email before the package was delivered and then I had to meet the delivery guy at the reception and give him cash. There was no receipt given, I just had to sign the device that he had with him. I even remember that I was owed change as I didn't have the exact amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seanachai wrote: »
    That's reassuring, thanks. I phoned them this morning and the agent told me to send an email to their customs department. I just don't want to have any hassle with a debt collector. Cheers.

Debt collectors in this country have no real power and it's not worth their while going legal for €77. The letter is just to frighten you as that's about all they can do.

Advertisement