Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam downloading crashing pc.

• 01-04-2015 11:26am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive started getting crashes while downloading games on steam,no problem playing any steam games or any other games,my system is fully up to date and stable.
    Within minutes of starting a download on steam it hangs the pc with a blue screen.
    Yet games already downloaded both on steam and origin play flawlessly.
    Google isnt offering up much info,seems a weird one to me.
    win 8.1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you prayed to GabeN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Might be something to do with how the game is updating - check other software running at the time. Firewall, AV, scheduled tasks etc..

Other than that, no idea what'd be causing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Is the hard drive where you are downloading games full? Perhaps if you are filling up your system drive (C:) that could be causing the crash

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No plenty of room on all 3 hard drives.
    Im stumped lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Try limiting the download speed maybe?

I've had some issues with my machine when Steam is downloading, as it goes so bloody fast. Once i get over 2mb-3mb, the pc stutters like crazy and is pretty much unusable. 1st world problem right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Try Bluescreenview to see what driver is causing the problem. It doesnt always work but its worth a shot

Whocrashed is another similar application but I havent used it before

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for that, both state problem caused by NETIO.SYS which seems to be network related from what i can gather.
    Whocrashed also mention avg could be the culprit, ive uninstalled it and black ops 2 downloaded fine in 4 minutes.
    Hope thats the end of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dcully wrote: »
    black ops 2 downloaded fine in 4 minutes.

It would take me a full day for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Thanks for that, both state problem caused by NETIO.SYS which seems to be network related from what i can gather.
    Whocrashed also mention avg could be the culprit, ive uninstalled it and black ops 2 downloaded fine in 4 minutes.

ive seen quite a few network issues caused by avg.

i wouldn't use avg myself

but on pcs i come across i normally disable the avg filter from the network adapter settings manually

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yep AVG has been known to cause issues now and then with Steam. That problem has been ongoing for nearly a decade now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

It would take me a full day for that.

Try all week at the home place, 2 minutes at my college house though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Anything monitoring network traffic can cause that crash. You can get some weird errors with this stuff, the strangest I had was no file longer than a few tens of kB would download uncorrupted. So you could torrent a file and it'd be fine but an FTP transfer would be corrupted. Culprit was a simple bandwidth monitoring program that wasn't causing any issues on other machines.

Good news is, it's usually a single program causing the problem and once you remove it, job's done. :)

Advertisement