Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bootable program usb

Options
  • 01-04-2015 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I have a 64 bit windows 7 and a 32 bit windows vista. Is there a bootable program that will work for both and from USB. /

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What do you mean by bootable? Your question doesn't make a lot of sense. Most "portable" usb programs for Windows will run on both versions of Windows

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

TheCowboy wrote: »
    I have a 64 bit windows 7 and a 32 bit windows vista. Is there a bootable program that will work for both and from USB. /

You'll have to tell us in as much detail as possible what you're looking to do. It sounds like you may have a few terms muddled or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

28064212 wrote: »
    What do you mean by bootable? Your question doesn't make a lot of sense. Most "portable" usb programs for Windows will run on both versions of Windows
    a bootable 'disk' to start windows but on USB

a bootable 'disk' to start windows but on USB
    So the entire installation of both versions of Windows will live on the hard-drive. Sounds like a really bad idea, but there's information on it here using the WinUSB tool. You'd just have to partition the drive correctly and install Windows twice. Windows 7 means that you can only use a USB 2.0 drive, and that you may have driver and activation problems if you move between computers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So the entire installation of both versions of Windows will live on the hard-drive. Sounds like a really bad idea, but there's information on it You'd just have to partition the drive correctly and install Windows twice. Windows 7 means that you can only use a USB 2.0 drive, and that you may have driver and activation problems if you move between computers
    no sorry i am not being clear.apologies

You know an emergency disk to boot from if the computer won't boot?.or to delete a file which is locked in windows.

But on usb instead of a disk that will work on windows 7 and vista.

• Advertisement

A bootable disk doesn't care what operating system is on the machine. A bootable disk is, by definition, self-contained. You could use a Linux LiveUSB, boot into it, mount your windows partition and delete the file that way

A bootable disk doesn't care what operating system is on the machine. A bootable disk is, by definition, self-contained. You could use a Linux LiveUSB, boot into it, mount your windows partition and delete the file that way

OK . I have my file deleted. i just wanted a program to have to use on both pc in case i needed in future. and want on USB as cd drive in laptop does not work

I tried linux live when i was trying to delete but it would not work. cannot remember the message.. cannot find something. I think it was damn small linux 50 MB. Would that be right?

When you boot from linux is there an explorer like view where you can navigate to the file as there is with paragon back up and recovery bootable disk?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I would imagine that paragon is also Linux.

excollier wrote: »
    I would imagine that paragon is also Linux.
    Thanks i did not know that. Are all the bootable recovery disks linux like say the one made with acronis?
    i tried linux live creator. it said the acronis iso is not... compatible.. i think was word used

how can you tell if a recovery disk such as the paragon is linux?

Most (if not all) bootable operating systems (essentially that's what it is) are Linux. Windows hasn't really got that facility yet (mainly for commercial and some technical reasons).
    Seems it is a hybrid Linux/DOS platform, using the best bits of both.
    Almost any live dvd of Linux will be able to retrieve files and data from almost any broken Windows install, and they are free. No need to spend money.

• Advertisement

Most (if not all) bootable operating systems (essentially that's what it is) are Linux. Windows hasn't really got that facility yet (mainly for commercial and some technical reasons).
    Seems it is a hybrid Linux/DOS platform, using the best bits of both.
    Almost any live dvd of Linux will be able to retrieve files and data from almost any broken Windows install, and they are free. No need to spend money.

why does windows not have it?

What is hybris dos, the paragon?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I use YUMI all the time. Works well.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows 8 and windows 10 have the facility to boot over USB, previous versions cant handle it.

Performance is *dire* though. Even with a a super high speed (130MB/s Read, 45MB/s write) USB3 stick.

Get Ubuntu installed on a fast enough key and stick it on your keyring. Itll do any basic recovery function you need. Oph crack can be handy too ;)

ED E wrote: »
    Windows 8 and windows 10 have the facility to boot over USB, previous versions cant handle it.

Performance is *dire* though. Even with a a super high speed (130MB/s Read, 45MB/s write) USB3 stick.

Get Ubuntu installed on a fast enough key and stick it on your keyring. Itll do any basic recovery function you need. Oph crack can be handy too ;)
    what is oph crack?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont worry about it, its for those who are a little more familiar with this stuff.

ED E wrote: »
    Dont worry about it, its for those who are a little more familiar with this stuff.

why would i not want to know

It's a freely available Windows password cracker. It has a live cd implementation - it is also Linux based. Linux to the rescue......

It's a freely available Windows password cracker. It has a live cd implementation - it is also Linux based. Linux to the rescue......
    found it google to the rescue....

I tired ubuntu on a 64 bit windows 7. It says "this kernel requires an x 86 -64 cpu but only dtetected an i686 cpu" an asks for appropriate cpu

Cpu in this machine is Intel Core i3 530 cpu

Should the same bootable dsk work on 32 and 64 bit computers then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Should the same bootable dsk work on 32 and 64 bit computers then?

You couldn't boot a 64bit OS on 32bit hardware

Advertisement