Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New baby and our dogs have changed behaviour

• 01-04-2015 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

What can I do about the changes in behaviour since the newborn arrived?

Our first baby arrived 8 weeks ago and all is well for the most part.
    Our 2 dogs, 1 year old brothers, behave very well with him but there are some changes to their behaviour which I dont know how to fix.

The 2 of them have started peeing beside their bed at night. Not on the same night but either one of them or both could do it twice a week.
    I seperated the 2 into different rooms and have found that both of them offend.
    This didnt happen since they were 3 months old and now it's about twice per week, for the past 5 weeks (I dont think its coincidence).

Additionally the less dominent has become aggressive at times to the more dominent one. he'll snap at him from time to time, usually when they go outside, the dominent does not retaliate but trys to avoid him.

Also the more dominent one has noticeably become more clingy, especially to mother, looking to get up on the couch.

Both are very good around the baby, the more dominent one would even be protective.

What can we do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Less likely to do with the new baby & more likely it is down to having siblings & that they are starting to mature. It is a common enough issue & is the reason why I would never sell littermates to the same home.

Do the dogs ever get to be separate from each other & spend one on one time with you? Difficult I know with a newborn.

Congrats btw on the new arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

Is it the snapping at each other that you're referring to which might be caused because they're siblings?

No they're rarely separated, but I have them sleeping in different rooms for the past week and their behaviour during the day has improved.

But the peeing has not improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

n1st wrote: »
    Is it the snapping at each other that you're referring to which might be caused because they're siblings?

No they're rarely separated, but I have them sleeping in different rooms for the past week and their behaviour during the day has improved.

But the peeing has not improved.

Yes, littermates and parent-pup combos usually result in tiffs to full scale rows when one or both parties reach maturity. At 1 year they are mostly past the puppy stage and have matured sexually, and are likely fighting with each other as a result. The separation would make them feel better, giving them space.

As for the peeing, are you sure you are not missing cues? I found when I took my baby home, for a while Shadow had a few accidents, which I realised were me missing cues rather than any untoward behaviour.

No we're not missing queues, the routine is the same, outside for pee for 20 -30 mins and then bed.
    This hasn't changed in nearly a year and worked for up until a couple of weeks after the baby arrived.

As for the aggression I will separate them further. As I said the simple separation of them at night has helped things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Are they neutered? Is it scent marking rather than they can't hold it or are anxious? Unneutered males tend to mark, although usually not in their own homes, but perhaps the house has changed slightly with the new arrival, new smell etc. What are you cleaning it up with? They could still smell it, but not as strongly and that's why they continue to mark over it.

• Advertisement

they are neutered, since they were 6 months old, so for over 6 months now.

It's definitely more than marking/scenting, its a full bladder release!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP what are you cleaning the puddles up with? You need to use something like a solution of biological washing powder to break down the enzymes or else they'll still be able to smell the wee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

The 2 of them have started peeing beside their bed at night.

Nappies? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'd get the one peeing in their bed a check up by the vet to rule out a UTI before thinking it's a training/behavioural issue.

I've sibling brothers, 'littermate syndrome' is a real thing, one of my boys has all the signs of it, the other doesn't, most likely because we got him before we got his brother, so he bonded to his family primarily.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I'll clean the surface properly, I've been using antibacterial kitchen cleaner.

I hadnt heard of the term "littermate syndrome" but I have heard of issues with 2 dogs not bonding with owner. We dont have that issue. Both dogs were brilliant up until a few weeks ago.

By the way both of them have their favourites, the dominant one picked my wife and the other picked me. Also the dominant one is much smarter, he's also put out more by the newborn (seeking to sit on her lap and mine more than was usual).

• Advertisement

I hadnt heard of the term "littermate syndrome" but I have heard of issues with 2 dogs not bonding with owner. We dont have that issue. Both dogs were brilliant up until a few weeks ago.

By the way both of them have their favourites, the dominant one picked my wife and the other picked me. Also the dominant one is much smarter, he's also put out more by the newborn (seeking to sit on her lap and mine more than was usual).

When you say dominant, what do you mean exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The 'dominant' one of my duo is also the one who is the most insecure and has most of the LS symptoms (plays roughly, gets upset if our other dog isn't there, doesn't listen well to commands if our other dog is near), doesn't like strangers, but he is happy to play with my boyfriend like no other. He is certainly his dog.
    My other fella is very confident (adores people, very trusting) but isn't 'dominant' in the slightest, he is tightly bonded to me and sports pretty much none of the signs that I have witnessed/researched.

Most people who don't know about the nature of LS and own siblings don't realise the symptoms that their dogs have are in fact symptoms at all, most people seem to think it's just a personality trait, or it's cute how two dogs need each other. But when you get down to the details of it you'll probably notice issues/connections to LS more and more.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    The 'dominant' one of my duo is also the one who is the most insecure and has most of the LS symptoms (plays roughly, gets upset if our other dog isn't there, doesn't listen well to commands if our other dog is near), doesn't like strangers, but he is happy to play with my boyfriend like no other. He is certainly his dog.
    My other fella is very confident (adores people, very trusting) but isn't 'dominant' in the slightest, he is tightly bonded to me and sports pretty much none of the signs that I have witnessed/researched.

Most people who don't know about the nature of LS and own siblings don't realise the symptoms that their dogs have are in fact symptoms at all, most people seem to think it's just a personality trait, or it's cute how two dogs need each other. But when you get down to the details of it you'll probably notice issues/connections to LS more and more.

Your story sounds similar to ours.
    The less dominant is a real pet, the dominant is less fun, less trusting, much more serious.

And by dominant I mean, he's bigger and stronger to start and is always to first to test the waters, the other guy follows him.
    The dominant is a much braver and easier taught dog too.

Anyway, are there any answers for our predicament?

As I said currently their separated at night. I might separate them further (walks, feeding) and see if it helps.
    I may go back to the toilet training again but I really don't think its the problem.

Will time heal?

Your story sounds similar to ours.
    The less dominant is a real pet, the dominant is less fun, less trusting, much more serious.

And by dominant I mean, he's bigger and stronger to start and is always to first to test the waters, the other guy follows him.
    The dominant is a much braver and easier taught dog too.

Anyway, are there any answers for our predicament?

As I said currently their separated at night. I might separate them further (walks, feeding) and see if it helps.
    I may go back to the toilet training again but I really don't think its the problem.

Will time heal?

Make sure you take them to the vet to be sure that they don't have an infection of some kind.
    I'd also try getting up once in the middle of the night to let them out. It would also help you pinpoint at what stage in the night they are doing it. If a wee in the night outside stops them from going in the house then it's just a case of re-training them both. You might find that they are doing it mere seconds after you go to bed at night, which might suggest some sort of separation anxiety? Making sure the area is properly cleaned so no scent remains is important (and not with bleach, as this makes it smell more like pee) so they don't locate it when they need to go!

Advertisement