Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Post - best options for online retailer

Options
  • 01-04-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,

I have searched old threads but haven't found an answer and would love some up to date advice.

My business will be offering international shippings as there's a decent global market. Packages will be approx 1kg but may be 2kg if a customer purchases more than one. Value would be approx 160euro per item. I've noticed my competitors based in Ireland mainly offer standard post with An Post- am i missing something but surely this is crazy given anything can happen to the packages. I was going to offer Registered Post but even at that insurance is very limited with An Post (approx 35euro I think). I'd love to hear what other retailers who ship abroad do and if there are good alternatives to An Post that don't cost a fortune? The international courier service from An Post is simply not viable as it costs way too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I've spent ages looking for something more affordable and I keep on just ending up with An Post. If people are sending high value things via standard post they are taking a big risk only a matter of time until it catches up with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Yeah I have a feeling I'll end up with An Post too!! These are really established businesses so I was so surprised when doing my competitor research that most use standard for both domestic and international post!! As a standard customer though using registered post provides minimal insurance cover internationally....I've called them and left a message as perhaps business accounts are offered more cover than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

for under 2kg, an post simply can't be beaten as this is their speciality.

Also, under 2kg is not vatable, so your delivery charges are zero rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

delahuntv wrote: »
    for under 2kg, an post simply can't be beaten as this is their speciality.

Also, under 2kg is not vatable, so your delivery charges are zero rated.

Do you have a link for that? Never heard that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

MizMix wrote: »
    I'd love to hear what other retailers who ship abroad do and if there are good alternatives to An Post that don't cost a fortune? The international courier service from An Post is simply not viable as it costs way too much.

We use a fulfillment house to store and dispatch products for us.
    All products are < 2kg
    Delivery within IRL is €4.95 next day courier
    International is priced by region with France for example at €12.95, Spain at€17.00 and some Eastern European countries at €23 (2 - 3 day delivery)

We do not ship outside of Europe and use a local fulfillment house in the UK to provide next day delivery there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

JMR wrote: »
    We use a fulfillment house to store and dispatch products for us.
    All products are < 2kg
    Delivery within IRL is €4.95 next day courier
    International is priced by region with France for example at €12.95, Spain at€17.00 and some Eastern European countries at €23 (2 - 3 day delivery)

We do not ship outside of Europe and use a local fulfillment house in the UK to provide next day delivery there

are those rate incl vat or is vat extra?

an post are 11.55 for 2kg all over Europe (packet size, about size of shoebox) - extra €5 for registered with €150 value covered + signature on delivery.

The beauty of using an post if items are under 2kg and packet size is that no vat applies, thus the delivery charge element of the sale can be zero rated.

e.g. - if item is €150 and you include delivery in the price, you would break that down as 133.45 incl 23% vat and 16.55 zero rated. (or 138.45 / 11.55 if not registering - but not advised)

if you use a courier servce that charges you vat, then the entire €150 is vatable.

We got this checked by the vat area office in Athy and our calculation was confirmed. (and we also had a vat inpsection which did not question it)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

delahuntv wrote: »
    are those rate incl vat or is vat extra?

Those prices are ex-VAT.

Previously used An Post but found the tracked service was next to useless.
    No tracking info available once the item left Ireland.

Advertisement