Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail only accessible via webmail

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have my eircom email set up on Outlook on my PC.  I can also access it via webmail, which I do from time to time on my iPad.

I was looking at my mail on my iPad today and noticed that there were 5 unread items in my Junk folder.  Two of them were responses to emails that I had sent looking for confirmation of a car hire I had booked.  I didn't open any of these emails, but decided to open them instead on my PC.  When I went into Outlook, there was no sign of them.

I don't understand how it can happen that I can see emails via webmail, but not in Outlook. I was going to call your helpdesk to get an explanation, but I saw that there is a charge of 34c a minute for calls from eircom landlines (which I  think is disgraceful and terrible customer service, by the way), so I guess that leaves me with the alternative of trying to get an answer here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭abff

Just to follow up on my earlier email, I went back into webmail and marked the 5 emails in my Junk folder as not spam.  I then went back into outlook.  The two emails that were in response to my car hire query both appeared in my inbox.  But the other three emails were in my junk email folder.  Curiouser and curiouser...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

abff wrote: »
    Just to follow up on my earlier email, I went back into webmail and marked the 5 emails in my Junk folder as not spam.  I then went back into outlook.  The two emails that were in response to my car hire query both appeared in my inbox.  But the other three emails were in my junk email folder.  Curiouser and curiouser...

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi abff[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I would recommend calling our webmail support team on 1890 260 260(for eircom broadband customers) & 1530 277 100(non-eircom broadband customers) & they will be able to look into this for you.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Alan
    [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

Hi abff
    I would recommend calling our webmail support team on 1890 260 260(for eircom broadband customers) & 1530 277 100(non-eircom broadband customers) & they will be able to look into this for you.

Thanks

Alan

That's the 34c per minute helpline that you're recommending I call?  Not particularly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

You need to set up outlook to connect using imap to webmail.eircom.net

jd wrote: »
    You need to set up outlook to connect using imap to webmail.eircom.net
    Thanks jd.  How do I do that?

By the way, the problem only seems to have arisen within the past week.  I wonder if this is due to some change in the way eircom email is set up.

Also, I've added the two email addresses from which I received the 5 emails in question to my safe senders list.  Hopefully, this will resolve the issue in relation to those particular email addresses, but clearly might not prevent similar problems arising in future with different addresses.

• Advertisement

You need to add an account with the eircom details - depends on your outlook version. Click file, add account, then  select manually configure at bottom, then select internet email, make sure server type is set to imap.

Thanks jd

My eircom details are already set up in outlook and have been for some time.  Until last week, everything seemed to come through to my outlook email without any problem.  It's only in the last week that this problem has arisen with some mails coming through to webmail but not on outlook.

It's very frustrating that eircom are charging for calls to their broadband helpdesk.  Apart from Ryanair, it's the first time I've ever come across having to pay premium rates to contact a customer helpdesk. I'm currently locked into a contract with them, but I'll look into moving when the contract expires.

You may be set up to use pop rather than imap in outlook. check your email settings and have alook 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Hi abff
    I would recommend calling our webmail support team on 1890 260 260(for eircom broadband customers) & 1530 277 100(non-eircom broadband customers) & they will be able to look into this for you.

Thanks

Alan

Lol, I can literally not believe that response.

Move to Gmail dude.

Hi abff

Thanks

Alan

That's the 34c per minute helpline that you're recommending I call?  Not particularly helpful.
    Sorry I can't do more for you abff

Al

• Advertisement

I appreciate that you don't set eircom's policy Alan, but I hope you have passed on my feedback regarding the charge for calls to your helpdesk.  Out of interest, when was this charge introduced?  I'm fairly sure I have called your helpdesk since moving to Eircom a few years and I don't recall a charge applying.

Incidentally, I had the same problem as before with an email that was sent to me today by one of the addresses that I have just added to my safe senders list.  The email did not make it through to outlook and it appeared in the junk mail folder on webmail.

Even if you can't help with my specific query, can you please let me know if there has been any recent change in the security settings used by eircom?

I appreciate that you don't set eircom's policy Alan, but I hope you have passed on my feedback regarding the charge for calls to your helpdesk.  Out of interest, when was this charge introduced?  I'm fairly sure I have called your helpdesk since moving to Eircom a few years and I don't recall a charge applying.

Incidentally, I had the same problem as before with an email that was sent to me today by one of the addresses that I have just added to my safe senders list.  The email did not make it through to outlook and it appeared in the junk mail folder on webmail.

Even if you can't help with my specific query, can you please let me know if there has been any recent change in the security settings used by eircom?
    Hi abff

I will of course pass on your feedback to operations. As I mentioned above the support number for existing eircom broadband customers is 1890260260 which is charged at a local rate. 1530277100 only applies if you are not an existing eircom broadband customer.

I can also confirm that there has been no recent change in security settings used by eircom.

Al

Thanks Alan

Are you sure that calls to that number are charged at a local rate? The following wording appears on your website:

To speak to a technical support agent call:
    Broadband [url=tel:1890 260 260]1890 260 260[/url]
    Calls from the eircom network are charged at 34 cent per minute. Call charges from other networks may be higher.

Thanks Alan

Are you sure that calls to that number are charged at a local rate? The following wording appears on your website:

To speak to a technical support agent call:
    Broadband [url=tel:1890 260 260]1890 260 260[/url]
    Calls from the eircom network are charged at 34 cent per minute. Call charges from other networks may be higher.
    Thanks for making us aware of that abff, I'll update the online team :)would you have a link please?

No it's definitely local rate, 1890 numbers always are : http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-much-do-calls-to-1890-numbers-cost.html

Cheers
    Al

Cheers abff

Really appreciate you highlighting this, It appears that message should be located under the 1530 number for Dial up.

Thanks!
    Al

Thanks Alan.

Good to know that the call charges are more reasonable than I thought.

Thanks Alan.

Good to know that the call charges are more reasonable than I thought.
    No worries abff

I'm sorry I can't do more to help with the actual email issue but our email support team should be able to help

BTW if you are an eircom customer WebChat (might) be able to help : www.eircom.ie/webchat - I'm aware they can help with some webmail issues.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement