Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Halen woeful on Jimmy Kimmel

• 01-04-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭

Anybody see these clips? embarrassingly bad...

For a band I've always wanted to see these clips would have me second guessing, so disappointing. Festival wise always assumed they'd be headliners but how could any festival install VH as headliners with performances like that, they'd be a sub for the novelty I'm guessin. Laughably they are using the Jimmy Kimmel show as a platform to promote a live album then.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Eddie sounds great tbh. DLR's voice on the other hand... Yowza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Roth's performances have been constantly under par since he re-joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Roth's performances have been constantly under par since he re-joined.

And the rock solid bass foundation left with Michael Anthony when he was fcuked over in favour of Eddie's fat kid.

endacl wrote: »
    And the rock solid bass foundation left with Michael Anthony when he was fcuked over in favour of Eddie's fat kid.

He has a good thing going with Hagar & Bonham.

He has a good thing going with Hagar & Bonham.

He has a great thing going! When life gives you lemons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

meh, unless you get a disease you'll be able to play guitar until you die basically, whereas the voice-box is definitely prone to wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Everyone besides DLR sound very good. The backing vocals are better than Roth's main ones by a good margin. Roth is starting to look a bit like Freddie Starr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

sugarman wrote: »
    Druming is fairly poor, Alex is way offl.

Glad I wasnt the only one to think so ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I'm sickened. :(

Van Halen are my favourite band, but this is pretty bad.

I thought Eddie was spot on. The rest of the band, not so much. Alex was definitely a bit off. DLR's vocals aren't as bad as some make out, but definitely not up to scratch. I was always opposed to Wolfgang, and this just made the point. That kids seriously needs to consider getting bass lessons, singing lessons and trying salads.

Jesus H, that is so sad to see, when you consider the glory of this:

and so on. Search YouTube for glorious 1970's/1980's videos of Van Halen in full throttle.

The biggest problem for me is definitely Wolfgang. I cannot abide the chap. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, but seriously? I mean, come on. That is just a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Another one from the stadium rock era that doesn't know when to call it a day. There's a lot of them out there lumbering about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Horrific.....shudda called it a day after Sammy quit!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The ONLY good thing about that performance was how Eddie looks and played

The new live album is at least live sounding, instead of being over dubbed to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

DLR hit himself with the mike stand on his nose before the first song. The performance had to be stopped and a plaster fitted, not too sure if it affected his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Saw them in '84 when they were at their peak I suppose.
    The live album isn't as bad as I expected.
    Vocals are sub-par alright but EVH still has it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Roanmore wrote: »
    DLR hit himself with the mike stand on his nose before the first song. The performance had to be stopped and a plaster fitted, not too sure if it affected his performance.

Saw Roth in Vicar Street in 2004, was one of the best shows I've ever been too, really sad to see this performance but time moves on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

To be fair Dave is a great showman but has never been a great singer live and as a long time VH fan I am surprised they released a live album so late. The band have never released any live material with Dave with fans wanting the Oakland 81 or the US festival 83 released.

The live album is a decent effort and if they had chosen the vocals could have been touched up in the studio but wasn't. Ironically putting all the lyrics in the slip note is funny as Dave never sticks to them. Wolf is a good musician but Mike will always be missed especially for his backing vocals. The band have an appearance on the Ellen show tonight.

Dave would never put me off going to see them, I was going to go to the States but as they announced the tour so late the dates do not suit me. I live in hope they come across to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Passenger wrote: »
    Eddie sounds great tbh. DLR's voice on the other hand... Yowza!

I think Dave let the side down here

You have to feel sorry for Wolfgang. He gets virtually no up close camera shots (I'm struggling to find one) and his backing vocals aren't half bad, he is essentially carrying DLR, but the echo in the microphone means you can barely hear him.

On top of that he's actually a pretty nice guy - I met him when he was playing bass with Tremonti in the UK a few years back - and he isn't as "my father is EVH you know" as you might think, he's very unassuming and knows he is in an exceptionally blessed position.

But, of course, he's not Michael Anthony...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not as bad as Jimmy Kimmel but Alex is really struggling behind the kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

VH were never anything more than a comedy band imo.

• Advertisement

Not as bad as Jimmy Kimmel but Alex is really struggling behind the kit

Can't hear any struggle?

Can't hear any struggle?

Well, you would if he was playing live...

Check the last minute or so. The stick waving doesn't match the beats. He seems to be stumbling at moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

eddie sounds great in fairness, yes the drumming was not good enough and dave's vocal was BAAAD!

But to the poster who saw fit to call Wolfgang a poor bass player? Wrong. i'm guessing you don't play the instrument yourself.

eddie sounds great in fairness, yes the drumming was not good enough and dave's vocal was BAAAD!

But to the poster who saw fit to call Wolfgang a poor bass player? Wrong. i'm guessing you don't play the instrument yourself.
    Don't think that was me, but....

He's an adequate bass player. Which is all VH need from a bass player. Adequate and solid. Which is what Michael Anthony was. He did what he did well. WVH also does it well, but he's hardly an upgrade to the musician who was there from the start, put in decades of work, and found out he'd lost the gig when he saw the press conference announcing his replacement. He's been an absolute gent about it, and a model of dignity, but he did get fcuked over in the unnecessary line up change.

VH have become a bit of a joke, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

VH were never anything more than a comedy band imo.

Yeah right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Don't think that was me, but....

He's an adequate bass player. Which is all VH need from a bass player. Adequate and solid. Which is what Michael Anthony was. He did what he did well. WVH also does it well, but he's hardly an upgrade to the musician who was there from the start, put in decades of work, and found out he'd lost the gig when he saw the press conference announcing his replacement. He's been an absolute gent about it, and a model of dignity, but he did get fcuked over in the unnecessary line up change.

VH have become a bit of a joke, TBH.

no not you, jasebellevie, i agree on michael anthony being fcuked over completely!

wouldn't have known anything about WVH only for his being in Tremonti.

I just felt it was unfair to single him out of that performance where the issues were all drummer and singer, as others said the backing vocals were superior to Dave's by some way.

on a positive note eddie had a monster guitar tone going on!!!!

Would i pay to see them? NO.

if micheal anthony and sammy hagar were there yes, yes i would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

there was a time when I would have loved to see Van Halen live ... not now though. DLR's performances are unacceptably poor and Alex seems to be struggling and you can be sure the ticket prices would be $$$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Decided to go as they may not come over, got 2 tickets to the Aug 1st show in the Infinity Center MA.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can't hear any struggle?

Ah im a drummer myself so i can sometimes be anal about other peoples playing ha. Yea i just felt he missed a few fills . Kinda felt he was just playing over Eddie and Wolfgang who carried DLR and Alex for the performance

• Advertisement

Well, you would if he was playing live...

Check the last minute or so. The stick waving doesn't match the beats. He seems to be stumbling at moments.

We must be watching a different video so.

Advertisement