Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cask wine bar :-)

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭

Someone spent a lot on their April Fools ... page 5 of today's Galway Indo has an ad for Cask Cafe and Winebar at 5 Buttermilk Walk. Cute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Someone spent a lot on their April Fools ... page 5 of today's Galway Indo has an ad for Cask Cafe and Winebar at 5 Buttermilk Walk. Cute.

Am I Missing An Obvious Joke? The small restaurant on the corner has changed its name again and is now called cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I saw that about a week ago. The italian place on the corner by the church is now Cask. It may be a real thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Am I Missing An Obvious Joke?

To half the world, cask wine is simply the cheapest nastiest sort, which gets drunk at BBQs and the like where glass is inconvenient.

If it's real, it's a marketing fail. Almost as clever as adverting their website (http://caskgalway.ie/) when it ain't working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But that's just half the world though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

To half the world, cask wine is simply the cheapest nastiest sort, which gets drunk at BBQs and the like where glass is inconvenient.

If it's real, it's a marketing fail. Almost as clever as adverting their website (http://caskgalway.ie/) when it ain't working.
    Think you jumped/bumbled a bit quick there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

But think of the value!

Wine-Bag-Bag-in-Box.jpg

Going back to simpler times when you asked what kinds of wine they had and the answer was Red or White.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv9rqyaTxonKp_bSptJnmgNhxeFDMX81MtLDXJqzes8QTgVGT3

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Nothing wrong with a box of Goon, 4 litres for 10 bucks, be rude not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I must be just in the other half of the world :) To me 'Cask' just means barrel for storing wine, and I actually thought it was a nice name. I was oblivious to the other meaning until now!

Do you reckon it will mess with attracting business from 'the other half'? Or maybe they will see it as funny and go in anyway.

At least we're taking about the place, now I might go in for a look!

On a side note there is a dirt cheap Aldi wine that think is gorgeous. No accounting for taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

inisboffin wrote: »
    I must be just in the other half of the world :) To me 'Cask' just means barrel for storing wine, and I actually thought it was a nice name. I was oblivious to the other meaning until now!

Me too, thought it was a nice name also. Hopefully they'll do well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Perhaps Mrs OBumble is a shareholder and this is cost free advertising?.

I've been a wine lover most of my adult life and never heard of cask wine as being cheap and nasty. Having said that, when boxes of wine were first produced in the U.K. it certainly wasn't the best quality, it certainly didn't keep for more than a few hours:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Chateau du cardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

It's on Facebook - must be totally real then :cool:
    https://www.facebook.com/cask05/timeline?ref=page_internal

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It didn't last. No signs up, but it's been closed for the last couple of weeks.

Advertisement