Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Force

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I'm currently in the progress of joining the reserve. I have completed the interview, fitness test and medical for both the army and navy reserve in Cork. Waiting on Garda clearance but should have that back in the next few weeks.

Am not sure which to choose. I understand it's not the real army/navy, I just want to get the most out of it, learn the most, do the most and get on the most courses.

I'm well aware of how the training up until you pass out goes. It's after this, year two/three that really interests me. Has anyone got year 2/3 experience in either of the services and can you give me some info on what actually gets done, what your opportunities are, with a view to helping me make a call.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

gravity121 wrote: »
    I understand it's not the real army/navy

It is not the Army or Navy, it is the Army Reserve And Naval Service Reserve. Leave this idea of "Real or Pretend" in the bin where it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gravity121

Hey Doctor14

Thanks for your reply.

Collins Barracks Cork - recruit training is under the artillery unit, we will be sent to units we've applied to once we pass out. My interest would be in the Artillery or the Cav.

For the Navy it's Haulbowline.

Is the extent of second year training limited to the weekends and or one/two weeks training in the summer?
    I'm aware of the weekly parades but are they used for advanced training or just for maintaining current knowledge?
    Is there the opportunity to apply for additional training courses or are we limited to the weekends/summer camps?

Thanks for your help, I've found it difficult to get info for what happens beyond basic training.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

gravity121 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, I've found it difficult to get info for what happens beyond basic training.

That is because it is restricted info and not really supposed to be discussed, especially on a public forum.

Sorry for the short answer but you will learn all about this during training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can't talk about the AR but for the NSR, courses are run throughout the year which you will be able to apply for (1st aid, GMDSS, Rib Coxn, Side-scan sonar etc.) in addition to parade nights (foot and arms drill training as well as navigation, boat work etc) and weekends (training or exercises, honour gaurds, parades etc). Once you have your firefighting and damage control courses done you can apply to go to sea on one of the ships with the full time Navy. Patrols are typically 3-weeks long but it's normally possible to go for a week or two or even up to 5-weeks at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gravity121

Thanks for the info on the NSR Siomna, that's very helpful as it's especially hard to find info on that. The Patrols with the full time Navy are certainly a draw. That said, the army has some very interesting courses too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement