Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Bikes 2015

Options
  • 01-04-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Afternoon Everyone,

A friend has asked about buying an electric bike and the results for my search on boards only yielded results from a couple of years ago.

Would anyone have any links or advice about their electric bike experience that would share please?

I would really appreciate any info, do's/dont's or recoomendations you might have.

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I bought one last year from greenaer specifically a kalkhoff which seem to be well regarded http://www.greenaer.ie/kalkhoff-electric-bikes/

these guys can offer you advice they are pretty good. There are only a few brands worth considering (I did a lot of research a year ago) and it's either BHMotion or Kalkhoff for me personally. in Ireland we are limited to 250 watt bikes in the US you would get faster models but I think the Kalkhoff bikes might not adhere strictly to this limit ;)

I use mine mainly as a fallback commuter for rainy or hungover days when I'm too tired to use the regular commuter and it is the best mode of transport for me bar none. glide in and out to the city effortlessly. Range is quite good too on the Kalkoff bike I have at about 60km :) go in and try a few out!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Bought one for my dad last year between a bunch of us siblings .
    he's in his late 60's and was cautious about longer trips . he had started using the car much more .
    it's been magic for him . he's using it on trips around the parish, mass, been to the black valley with it etc . He would use it most days
    he rekons it's the best present he's ever got .
    technically range is supposed to be 140 km.
    four power settings though I can't see him ever using the top power setting .
    the brand was Cube .
    looks like a normal tourer , maybe slightly more sturdy frame / component wise .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TOLLOT wrote: »
    the brand was Cube .
    looks like a normal tourer , maybe slightly more sturdy frame / component wise .
    Cube EPO?

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=47737

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I think it was a cube travel Eop pro or similar .
    it was a cork based cube dealer. they show them in stock in their website .
    the battery is underneath the carrier and about 2-3 kg, detachable and lockable battery .
    it's was Bosch battery afair.
    has nice lights and 7 gears of so .
    the pic you've shown looks like a much newer model.
    not having much joy posting an image with smart phone
    pedal assist as opposed to pedal for you .
    assistance cuts out at 30 km / HR unfort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Horse on an ould 700w or more kit, the electric bikes you buy in the shops have feck all power and require you to be pedalling all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Horse on an ould 700w or more kit, the electric bikes you buy in the shops have feck all power and require you to be pedalling all the time

If you do this, you're supposed to register the bike for VRT, and pay annual tax and motor insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gorm

Might want to try the following site for views/reviews etc..

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/

You can do test rides on these electric bikes in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A lot of the early models were "old ladies bikes" but since last year a few nice bikes have become available. I tried out this MTB at the Energy Show in the RDS last week, where they were giving demos of electric bikes, cars and vans.
    Its a nice enough hardtail MTB in its own right, with aluminium frame, rockshox, 29 inch wheels, hydraulic disc brakes etc. Power kicks in automatically as soon as you start spinning the cranks, even if you don't apply much pressure.
    So you can accelerate to 25Kph very quickly, but then it feels like the brakes are on because the motor cuts out. However, there is a special chip available that overrides the limit and allows the power to keep on up to about 50Kph (of dubious legality) If I had €3K to spend on a new toy I would definitely buy it. The bosch electric system has a fancy display unit (nyon) with speed, power output, GPS etc.
    I think they were claiming it would go for 120km on a flat road with 50% power coming from your legs, so that's about 60 km from the battery itself.

Edit; If buying an electric bike I would go for a MTB, even for going around town, for safety reasons; because of the extra stopping power, quality disc brakes, big tyres, suspension forks etc..

Lumen wrote: »

Someone was having a right laugh when they named that bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

Thank you all!

nemesisdg wrote: »
    Thank you all!

Do post back if you get one, I'm interested in getting one so have been doing lots of research of late!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I bought a BH Emotion Neo Cross about 15 months ago. I was looking to commute a short distance (approx. 8km return) but the traffic was just terrible so I didn't want to purchase a car. A bike seemed liked the obvious solution but I didn't fancy showering in work every day or everytime I went to visit friends or relatives. I play a lot of sports (~4 times a week) so didn't feel guilty looking at an electric bike. I am a complete n00b to cycling and was looking at the cheap e-bikes. After doing a bit of research - and knowing I could rely on the cycle to work scheme - I decided to pony up for a decent bike. It was easier to justify since I was going to use it exclusively instead of a car.

I went in to GreenAer near Trinity and tried out a few of their bikes. The BH Cross was just ridiculously fun to cycle. It's hard to explain; you just have to try it. I got a decent deal on a shop model from GreenAer - very nice people I have to say. Even 15 months later, I'm still excited hopping on it each morning. I've let lots of friends have a go on it - even the most skeptical and judgemental ones come back with a big grin after trying it. I don't get the hatred from some folks about them.

I've also found myself cycling for pure pleasure which I would never have imagined. If I've got some free time or need a break, I cycle up to the top of Three Rock (plenty of exercise in that no matter what setting you use), or spin out to Dún Laoghaire or just do the trail around UCD. The BH Cross is a more sporty bike whereas the Kalkhoff models didn't feel quite as agressive. Kalkhoff I would recommend for an older age group whereas BH I would recommend for younger people.

Anyway I can honestly say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I actually can't imagine being without it now. Best of luck with your purchase.

BH-Neo-Cross-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I met a guy on one of these today, going up by Glenmacnass Waterfall, on the road to Sally Gap.

I wasn't having a good day, and it didn't help watching this heavy looking hybrid in the distance, staying ahead. I only met him because he stopped for a rest!
    Very impressive technology. He had started out from Roundwood, on to Laragh and he was hoping to get to Sally Gap and then down to Bray. I cant image the battery even lasting him to Sally Gap.

He was really pleased with it, commutes daily on it. But I reckon he'll be investing in a spare battery for long spins like that.

RMT148MGY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any updates on recommendations re what elec bikes are out there now that I have, at 63, a New Year to pedal less!

Have seen the ones in greenaer.ie, just wonder anyone get one from Santa that they would recommend.
    Budget about 2,500 euro max: don't know if I need the complexity of the rear gear train on the one above, which would be c 3,000 our now with weakness of euro/stg.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be curious myself. They all seem a bit heavy. I dislike the proprietary nature of the bikes.

beauf wrote: »
    Be curious myself. They all seem a bit heavy. I dislike the proprietary nature of the bikes.

I looked at kits a few years back but did not seem much of a saving

Do you mean saving money or weight?

Do you mean saving money or weight?

Money: they were about 1000 euro if I recall correctly when "similar" ready made e-bikes were 1,300 or so. a lot of hassle fitting them I thought: If I was going DIY/kit I would strip out the DC motor from an old VHS player.......:D

This one has come down a bit
    http://www.ciclotekstore.eu/b2c/producto/9822035/2/nitro-e-bike-motor-kit-48v-battery

Happy New Year

I was thinking more about getting parts and batteries for these bike in a 12~24 months. Remove a kit and your left with a decent bike. With some these eBikes all you're left with is massively heavy bike. Maybe I'm, thinking about it wrong. That an eBike just isn't a bicycle.

• Advertisement

I was thinking more about getting parts and batteries for these bike in a 12~24 months. Remove a kit and your left with a decent bike. With these eBikes all your left with is massively heavy bike.

I must agree, especially since I have 3 perfectly good bikes in the garage, never been left out in the rain etc, serviced etc so I just might revisit the kits again.
    A neighbour of mine has recently got an adult tricycle, maybe I will suggest twin 1000 watts :D

So let me widen the question to the others:
    anyone bought and installed a good e-bike kit?

This seemed a decent thread about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I presume you would need to buy the power kit, the wheels, and some disc brakes. Assuming your 3 bikes in the garage could accept the disc brakes and the new wheels and kit. And you didn't mind spending an unquantifiable amount of time and frustration in trying to make everything fit together.

I think its better to buy the new bike. Cyclists always have spare bikes. Its a dilemma that a good bike will become obsolete before it wears out, and you won't have the heart to sell it off for half nothing. So it must remain in the garage until you die, and then somebody else will throw it in a skip ;)

That's not what I meant. I meant buy a bike that is useful as a bike once the Electric bike parts can't be economically repaired.

http://www.cytronex.com/bikes/

Still its better to have a useful bike to move/sell on when you are finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I've a diy electric bike using a mid drive for commuting. Mid drive cost 350 euro from whoosh bikes uk - easy fit, battery from ciclotekstore.eu 9 Ah battery - another plug and play.

Bike weight was 15 kg then 18.5 kg with motor and other bits. Add the battery 9ah 2.5kg extra. So 21kg in total with mudguards and lights.

Remove battery easily for exercise.

I run it at 30 kph and get between 30-40km depending on the amount of assist peddling I do. the reason I went for a mid drive is I have two serious hills to make on the way home and heard (although I've no evidence) that hub motors fall off on hills while the mid drive allows me to go into granny gears and get up these hills at between 10-15kph without assist.

davidoco wrote: »
    I've a diy electric bike using a mid drive for commuting. Mid drive cost 350 euro from whoosh bikes uk - easy fit, battery from ciclotekstore.eu 9 Ah battery - another plug and play.

Bike weight was 15 kg then 18.5 kg with motor and other bits. Add the battery 9ah 2.5kg extra. So 21kg in total with mudguards and lights.

Remove battery easily for exercise.

I run it at 30 kph and get between 30-40km depending on the amount of assist peddling I do. the reason I went for a mid drive is I have two serious hills to make on the way home and heard (although I've no evidence) that hub motors fall off on hills while the mid drive allows me to go into granny gears and get up these hills at between 10-15kph without assist.

Now we are pedalling big time!

As an engineer I did wonder last night, after two glasses of wine, about the efficiency of the torque from the hub: fell asleep mid wonder!

Davidco:all answers on website
    Thanks again

This seemed a decent thread about it.

Did I forget the link or was it removed?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18565675&highlight=Eletric+Bikes&page=20

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Since this photo I have attached mudguards and tidied up the cables on the front which means you only see the brake cables. I had initially planned to put the battery right over the motor and it fits on the vertical tube but it interferes with the folding mechanism so I have to mount it on the seat post. It's only 2.6kg so doesn't affect handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No pic attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

just noticed this thread so thought i`d throw mine in - bought frame and front wheel (rest trashed) on gumtree for £25, added all new parts after that plus the Bafang BBS02 750watt kit with battery, now in the process in doing away with the rear derailleur and fitting a geared Alfine hub...

bike weighs in now at approx 23kgs and cost of the conversion kit is around the 550 eur for that spec.

If you live in hilly parts, not as fit as you were, have injury etc then this is for you!

Advertisement