Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Thornton Corporate Challenge

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anyway, AAI are functionally incompetent, as any fule kno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭positron

I ran GT5k this year. I didn't have a GPS device on me, but I was surprised how fast the over all pace was - people were literally sprinting from word go, and I had no choice but to keep up and overtake handfull of slow joggers / walkers etc who probably started off in the wrong wave. Predictably strong start meant I ran out of steam at around 4k and then I was that slow jogger / walker that dozens had to get around.. in the end my PB was only improved by about 15 seconds, but new PB nonetheless.

Like mentioned earlier, race was well managed - the bag drop off (while pick up was a bit slow and they should have had illumination in there, rather than guys walking up and down with mobile flashlights), that band of drummers (?), plenty of water and food to go around etc (okay there was a bit of a crush to get water at the end of the race, that could be improved as well). Over all a good experience. And would be even better if they would increase the donation to charity to 50% - increase the fee if they have to, my employer is paying for it, so what do I care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

davedanon wrote: »
    So how long have you been working for Grant Thornton, PVincent?

He doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

@davdanon

My post highlights the plus points of this race. If you are interested in getting people into our sport, I am sure that you can see the benefits of this race , rather than focus on the ' course length' which is of no concern to 99.9% of the people who did run.

RayCun wrote: »
    He doesn't

t'were a joke.

• Advertisement

PVincent wrote: »
    rather than focus on the ' course length' which is of no concern to 99.9% of the people who did run.

all the more reason to make sure the distance is true, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

davedanon wrote: »
    all the more reason to make sure the distance is true, in my opinion.

I know a good few people who measured this at 5k when running the racing line.

People went tight at the u-turn and also people were on the footpath around the buidlings.
    Those that stayed on the road hit 4.95 - 5k on their watches!

Garmin has a 10% error margin, so 4.95k falls into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

PVincent wrote: »
    The issue facing this race now is how will they restrict the numbers as clearly it will continue to grow and propser, but the race route is at full capacity ( and possibly over it ! ) ...

I walked down last week to watch the race and the funniest part was the realisation that they were running out of time to get the later waves released before the lead runners reached the bridge on the way back. Fair play though, the last waves were amalgamated and all got off safely.

Advertisement