Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What I find funny is, people give out about Fagan and yet they don't hesitate in buying Nike running gear that is funding drug cheat Gatlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

What I find funny is, people give out about Fagan and yet they don't hesitate in buying Nike running gear that is funding drug cheat Gatlin.

So I've been wearing Nike for 8 years and just because they have signed a drug cheat I'm to stop wearing them? Don't be daft. If you apply that logic then there isn't a brand you could buy

eldiva wrote: »
    So I've been wearing Nike for 8 years and just because they have signed a drug cheat I'm to stop wearing them? Don't be daft. If you apply that logic then there isn't a brand you could buy

For Nike to.go out of their way to sign him.

What a goal by messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nike Lunarracers are my favourite racing shoes. they fit me perfectly and my foot feels comfortable in them. I don't care less who they sponsor tbh.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nike Lunarracers are my favourite racing shoes. they fit me perfectly and my foot feels comfortable in them. I don't care less who they sponsor tbh.

But your not moaning about Fagan etc.

• Advertisement

But your not moaning about Fagan etc.

I generally am actually, just had an issue with that last point about him making a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

That's like saying you're not going to buy puma because of Christie or Adidas because of Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

eldiva wrote: »
    That's like saying you're not going to buy puma because of Christie or Adidas because of Johnson

I'm boycotting Vibrams at the moment cause I think Cabello Blanco was a dick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Anyone have any info on who's trying and where this Autumn?

Hehir- Berlin
    Minnock-Berlin
    Maria Mc- Frankfurt
    Britton- Chicago
    Lizzie Lee- Berlin
    Hanrahan- Berlin

Open to correction on those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Anyone have any info on who's trying and where this Autumn?

Hehir- Berlin
    Minnock-Berlin
    Maria Mc- Frankfurt
    Britton- Chicago
    Lizzie Lee- Berlin
    Hanrahan- Berlin

Open to correction on those.
    A stack going to Berlin Sergio Tom fitz also Thornton
    Not sure re pollock and kenneally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

youngrun wrote: »

Kenneally was targeting Berlin when I was seeing him for physio last winter, hasn't been heard off since he pulled up in the Frank Duffy I think?

According to Pollock's blog he and Kevin Seaward are doing Berlin. Mick Clohissey is too (as far as I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

According to Pollock's blog he and Kevin Seaward are doing Berlin. Mick Clohissey is too (as far as I know).

Mick Closhisey's definitely doing Berlin.

Some crew going over;

Pollock, Seaward, Clohisey Sergiu, Hehir, Mark Kenneally, Mark Hanrahan, Tomas Fitzpatrick, Thornton, Gary Murray, Phillip Harty, Lizzie Lee.

Will be interesting to see what happens if most of them do the qualifying time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

How many athletes can make the Irish marathon team for Rio? And if more than that number qualify, how do they pick who gets to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

PWEI wrote: »
    Mick Closhisey's definitely doing Berlin.

Some crew going over;

Pollock, Seaward, Clohisey Sergiu, Hehir, Mark Kenneally, Mark Hanrahan, Tomas Fitzpatrick, Thornton, Gary Murray, Phillip Harty, Lizzie Lee.

Will be interesting to see what happens if most of them do the qualifying time.

Wow some class runners going over,will be a great battle between them all,cant wait to see how it unfolds:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will be intetesting also to see the impact on DCM and the Irish national title. Might be an opportunity for someone who's a little off Olympic standard to have a go at the title, with both the male and female likely candidates travelling elsewhere.

johnruns wrote: »
    Wow some class runners going over,will be a great battle between them all,cant wait to see how it unfolds:)

Plenty of supporters going over too for some of them, hopefully there will be good runs all round
    Would imagine most of them are capable of hitting the time
    This is the official policy
    https://athleticsireland.app.box.com/16-OGpolicy

Obviously if someone runs a standout time they will be picked

Will be intetesting also to see the impact on DCM and the Irish national title. Might be an opportunity for someone who's a little off Olympic standard to have a go at the title, with both the male and female likely candidates travelling elsewhere.

Plenty of guys around 2.25 last year , would be an interesting race alright

Plenty of guys around 2.25 last year , would be an interesting race alright
    What about Eoin Calaghan? Given his 2:18 in Manchester and rate of improvement, he has a legitimate shot at qualification, but would also be a great contender for the national title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I heard locally in Clare that Sean Hehir was abroad doing altitude training and is hoping to get a qualifying time for Rio in the Berlin marathon...fingers crossed..xxx

• Advertisement

johnruns wrote: »

J Frazer and Mark Kirwan also in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pac_man wrote: »
    This happened for the 2012 Olympics whereby 4 athletes got the qualifying time but only three were selected as there was only three places. I think it's left up to a committee within AI which decides on who goes.

And they based their decision on age. 3 years on, the one who wasn't picked, the oldest of the lot, is the only one still competing in the sport. Foolish decision.

Almost as silly as letting Sinead Diver slip through the net. 21st in Beijing in what was a 2:30 level performance, given the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

they picked the fastest three qualified
    Ava Hutchinson 2:35:33
    Catriona Jennings 2:36:14
    Linda Byrne 2:36:21
    Maria McCambridge 2:36:37

Note that this time around they say they'll take course speed rating into account, as well as getting the standard early enough for recovery and a pre-olympic training cycle

Yeah I remember she was fairly aggrieved by the result and to make matters worse, one of them ran it with an apparent pre-existing injury and crawled home.

Have the three that qualified jacked in the sport completely?

I saw LB ran the Tymon Parkrun a few weeks ago but is clearly just doing it for fun. I think CJ is still running as she is promoting the Rathfarnham 5k in the publicity.

RayCun wrote: »
    they picked the fastest three qualified
    Ava Hutchinson 2:35:33
    Catriona Jennings 2:36:14
    Linda Byrne 2:36:21
    Maria McCambridge 2:36:37

Note that this time around they say they'll take course speed rating into account, as well as getting the standard early enough for recovery and a pre-olympic training cycle

Is Maria the only one going for qualification this time ?

Also Breege Connolly is the only active athlete male or female with a qualification time i make it at present ..?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I saw LB ran the Tymon Parkrun a few weeks ago but is clearly just doing it for fun. I think CJ is still running as she is promoting the Rathfarnham 5k in the publicity.

She had moved to rowing post London. Must be back to running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Chivito550 wrote: »
    She had moved to rowing post London. Must be back to running now.

Are you mixing her up with her sister Sinead? She's recently qualified for the Olympics in rowing

Dodge wrote: »
    Are you mixing her up with her sister Sinead? She's recently qualified for the Olympics in rowing

Nope caitriona did give it a go http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/catr%C3%ADona-jennings-calls-time-on-her-bid-to-make-rio-olympics-1.2026109

Not long now is there a way of tracking runners on Sunday that doesn't involve an app ??!

• Advertisement

Not long now is there a way of tracking runners on Sunday that doesn't involve an app ??!
    Stick around. I'd say this thread will have some near-live updates.

10k split:

Hehir
    Ciobanu
    Thornton
    clohissey
    Murray- all together in 31:57
    Seaward- 32:24
    Hanrahan- 32:30
    Pollock- 32:30
    Kenneally- DNS

Lee- 36:14

Going to stick all the splits in the Berlin thread for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

At the 25k mark from Athletics Ireland

There are currently 9 Irish men under Olympic qualifying pace with Lizzie Lee well on course for women's Q. #berlinmarathon #roadtorio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

2:14:52 for Seaward, 2:15:17 for Ciobanu, 2:15:35 for Clohisey and 2:15:38 for pollock

Lizzie Lee Smashes her pb dipping under 2:33 - 5th fastest Irish woman of all time

Yeah we were tracking it over on the Berlin thread. Great runs especially by Kevin and Sergiu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Barry Minnock just won the Galway Bay Marathon in low 2.20's followed closely by Gary OH.

Looks like Sergio just came in first in the half in around 1.03ish

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Barry Minnock just won the Galway Bay Marathon in low 2.20's followed closely by Gary OH.

Well done Bazman!

Bloody hell! That's incredible running by Sergiu after a marathon last week, the mans a machine and I'm pretty sure that a massive PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Any results from the 10k?

Any results from the 10k?

I missed the 10k. Have to say the winner of the half didn't look like Sergio to me but that's how it was announced. I was a bit away from the line though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

It wasn't Sergio, but another Moldovan runner Roman Prodius. Sergio was there for moral support :)

Gary and I ran a controlled run, both in 2:27. Neither of us wanted to leave our Dublin marathon in Galway. I've more weeks training in than Gary, so was able to pull away on miles 24/25, but otherwise we ran together.

Legs feel good and will be able for session tomorrow, so looking forward to Dublin now.

Kudos to David McCarthy for 1st in 10k and 3rd in half only a couple of hours later. Must be training for a go at the marathon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

bazman wrote: »
    It wasn't Sergio, but another Moldovan runner Roman Prodius. Sergio was there for moral support :)

Gary and I ran a controlled run, both in 2:27. Neither of us wanted to leave our Dublin marathon in Galway. I've more weeks training in than Gary, so was able to pull away on miles 24/25, but otherwise we ran together.

Legs feel good and will be able for session tomorrow, so looking forward to Dublin now.

Kudos to David McCarthy for 1st in 10k and 3rd in half only a couple of hours later. Must be training for a go at the marathon :)

So this was a 'training' marathon then? Well done in any case. Do you mind my asking, what are you targeting in Dublin? Maybe at this level you guys don't want to share that kind of info on a public forum.

Some going by the lad who won the 10k and then finished 3rd in the Half. Bloody impressive (or am I missing the joke?)

Itziger wrote: »
    So this was a 'training' marathon then? Well done in any case. Do you mind my asking, what are you targeting in Dublin? Maybe at this level you guys don't want to share that kind of info on a public forum.

Some going by the lad who won the 10k and then finished 3rd in the Half. Bloody impressive (or am I missing the joke?)

I'd swear GOH won both the 10k & the half there on the one day a couple of years ago. Back around the time when all he seemed to do was run a race every couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I know this thread is Irish related but Callum Hawkins performance was very impressive in the Great Scottish Half at the weekend( 1:02:42). He's making his marathon début in Frankfurt in a few weeks with the aim of sub 2.10, obviously with Rio in mind.
    Don't think he is trying to go sub 2:10 this time out. Very impressive run all the same

any word on cragg or is he retired

any word on cragg or is he retired

Cragg is coaching now, I wouldn't expect him to have a go but you never know.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Cragg is coaching now, I wouldn't expect him to have a go but you never know.

He had a good innings I guess the marathon never quite clicked for him
    Is fionnuala next up in Chicago ?

He had a good innings I guess the marathon never quite clicked for him
    Is fionnuala next up in Chicago ?
    Yep, still think he could have run sub 2:10 and possibly an NR had he not tired to run 2:6/7 each time. Think his coaching and his wife's running will be their focus for Rio. But he should try for a free ticket ;).
    Yep actually looking forward to seeing how she goes there.

It seems there are unseasonally warm temperatures forecast today for Chicago, hopefully they don't affect Fionnuala too much.
    Live coverage of Chicago marathon should be available here from 1:30pm

It seems there are unseasonally warm temperatures forecast today for Chicago, hopefully they don't affect Fionnuala too much.
    Live coverage of Chicago marathon should be available here from 1:30pm
    Her 2:32 debut was in similarly warm conditions, wasn't it? I'm not so sure it's unseasonal for Chicago. Certainly it was was warmer when I ran it and they seem to get more hot marathons than cool ( though they've faced freezing temperatures in the past). Dunno why she didn't opt for Berlin. Fingers crossed for her. Hopefully she'll have a great one.

17:27 for her first 5K, which would put her on 2:27-2:28 pace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement