Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think you heard me right

ZATOPEK!

TREACY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Treacy is great, but I take a childish joy in Zatopek's name :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Will any of the 2012 marathon squad go again ? Nicola Duncan hopefully will be back fit to keep the Galway flag flying in Rio ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

youngrun wrote: »
    Will any of the 2012 marathon squad go again ? Nicola Duncan hopefully will be back fit to keep the Galway flag flying in Rio ..!

Don't know for definite but would not be sure about Nicola D .... her London 2014 performance was great but she has been injured a lot (and she also has a full-time job!).

Don't know for definite but would not be sure about Nicola D .... her London 2014 performance was great but she has been injured a lot (and she also has a full-time job!).

So I hear, hopefully she will get back over winter , great talent, plenty of time yet to give the time a shot, sometimes working FT and running before/after focuses the mind more I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So I hear, hopefully she will get back over winter , great talent, plenty of time yet to give the time a shot, sometimes working FT and running before/after focuses the mind more I think.

Let's hope so...
    I think its so hard to fit the training in when work is busy (though note that the only thing I have in common with Nicola is being injury-prone :rolleyes:)

So who is left to run this autumn? McCambridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

RayCun wrote: »
    So who is left to run this autumn? McCambridge?

Sarah Mulligan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Sarah Mulligan?

I think she is targeting Cross Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It was all very odd. She didn't seem disappointed afterwards in the mixed zone despite racing very poorly on that night, and just sitting in the pack, not attempting to try win a medal. But it must also be noted she finished 8th in that race, 10th in the marathon. People forget that. I think there would have been much more in her had she focused on the marathon. But maybe the lack of expectations allowed her to run free.

One thing is for sure, she's not in the form of 2012, when she finished 15th in the Olympic 10000m. She's a long way off what will be required for a top 15 in the marathon in Rio. She's got 10 months though, so hopefully it all comes together.

Yeah I agree on the form, maybe its all the aim to peaking in Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

rom wrote: »
    Lee with a better time still. Great time though.

Lee had a pacer for entire race, Fionnuala didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

pac_man wrote: »
    I know this thread is Irish related but Callum Hawkins performance was very impressive in the Great Scottish Half at the weekend( 1:02:42). He's making his marathon début in Frankfurt in a few weeks with the aim of sub 2.10, obviously with Rio in mind.

No sub 2.10, but still a very impressive 2.12.17 on his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

So, Barbara Sanchez was doing Valencia today. I heard her mentioned briefly at one point with a local girl who was going well. Rio was mentioned in the same sentence. However, the home page of the event has changed and for the life of me I can't find a results button. Will post if and when I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

Dodge wrote: »

Yeah, unfortunately she faded from a 1.18 first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

To be fair on Barbara, she certainly wasn't in a great state of mind when her husband and son were in Paris and only 4km from the attack. I was worry about her.

I hope she will bounced back as the marathon field is tough to be selected and no B standard is allowed in Ireland. Same for her at the last games, so I hope she at least get the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

locteau wrote: »
    To be fair on Barbara, she certainly wasn't in a great state of mind when her husband and son were in Paris and only 4km from the attack. I was worry about her.

I hope she will bounced back as the marathon field is tough to be selected and no B standard is allowed in Ireland. Same for her at the last games, so I hope she at least get the standard.

I also heard it got very hot for the second half, so that could have been a factor

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

locteau wrote: »
    I hope she will bounced back as the marathon field is tough to be selected and no B standard is allowed in Ireland.
    No B standard allowed anywhere anymore. 2:42:00 to qualify. But Ireland already has the maximum three qualifiers:
    • Breege Connolly (2:37:29)
    • Lizzie Lee (2:32:51)
    • Fionnuala Britton (2:33:15)
    If she does go under 2:42, AAI will be the ones to make the call, but I imagine she'll have to at least match BC's time

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    No B standard allowed anywhere anymore. 2:42:00 to qualify. But Ireland already has the maximum three qualifiers:
    • Breege Connolly (2:37:29)
    • Lizzie Lee (2:32:51)
    • Fionnuala Britton (2:33:15)
    If she does go under 2:42, AAI will be the ones to make the call, but I imagine she'll have to at least match BC's time
    I guess Rotterdam is most likely next shot for most of the Irish ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I guess Rotterdam is most likely next shot for most of the Irish ?

Rotterdam would be really last chance saloon and not ideal with regards recovery for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Maria go again soon enough, possibly in the likes of Florence next month? Failing that Seville in February is supposed to be a fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Yea, going to be interesting.......

menoscemo wrote: »
    Rotterdam would be really last chance saloon and not ideal with regards recovery for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Maria go again soon enough, possibly in the likes of Florence next month? Failing that Seville in February is supposed to be a fast course.

Yes was thinking of Florence alright as one what about the likes of Fukuoka or Dubai also Think Frazer ran in former before
    I hear of a few going to Rotterdam as you say might work but v tough to get back on the line for Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Yes was thinking of Florence alright as one what about the likes of Fukuoka or Dubai also Think Frazer ran in former before
    I hear of a few going to Rotterdam as you say might work but v tough to get back on the line for Rio

Frazier used to live out that direction when he did it. Between travel and humidity could be too risky a marathon to pin qualification hopes on as too many things could go wrong.

Dubai is an option also but outside the top african's while it is a fast course by design the lack of atmosphere as well as possible heat could again make this one a tough one for qualification purposes.

I'm certain I read the AAI selection policy document for Rio somewhere, but can't find it now. From what I recall, there were three "windows" of qualification, with a higher priority given to the earlier ones, and Rotterdam falls (just) inside the third window. So if you had runner A with 2:16:00 in Berlin, and runner B with 2:16:00 in Rotterdam, runner A would be selected, all other things being equal.

Of course, there's other criteria, so all other things won't be equal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Hopefully we bring 3 and a sub. So we avoid the farce that happened the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

Hopefully we bring 3 and a sub. So we avoid the farce that happened the last time.

There will never be a "sub". What they do in the Uk is a fitness/forum test 6-8 weeks out and if you pass that you are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

There are no subs. Athletics does not work like that except for the team events (relays).

rom wrote: »
    There will never be a "sub". What they do in the Uk is a fitness/forum test 6-8 weeks out and if you pass that you are going.

The Uk had a sub in the last Olympics as Paula pulled out the day before or close to that

She pulled out on 9th of July, race was on the 5th of August

There are no subs. Athletics does not work like that except for the team events (relays).

What about the last olympics year, Paula withdrew on the 29th of July, race was on the 5th of Aug and Britian had a replacement

It helped that the games was in London

• Advertisement

It helped that the games was in London

Yeah because it was so far away from ireland. Oh wait, a 40 min flight

Yeah because it was so far away from ireland. Oh wait, a 40 min flight
    A sub was never an option. None of the athletes had been ruled out like Paula had, all had passed their fitness tests.

One thing that will definitely not be happening: bringing a sub to Rio just in case.

A sub was never an option. None of the athletes had been ruled out like Paula had, all had passed their fitness tests.

One thing that will definitely not be happening: bringing a sub to Rio just in case.

Paula got ruled out 6 days before hand. I am sure the sub had to be training way before that. We had an injured runner run the marathon, never good to run when injured.

Paula got ruled out 6 days before hand. I am sure the sub had to be training way before that. We had an injured runner run the marathon, never good to run when injured.
    No Irish runner was ruled out. Not 6 days beforehand, not an hour beforehand. The possibility of a sub had no relevance

No Irish runner was ruled out. Not 6 days beforehand, not an hour beforehand. The possibility of a sub had no relevance

An irish runner ran it injured.

Knew 5 weeks out from it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720510

An irish runner ran it injured.
    After being passed fit by both her own physio and the Team Ireland medical team

After being passed fit by both her own physio and the Team Ireland medical team

Hmmm, passed fit, 3:22 for a professional in a marathon!!!

Hmmm, passed fit, 3:22 for a professional in a marathon!!!
    Passed fit to start, that doesn't guarantee a finish. At least two physios with direct access passed her as race-fit. You're saying that they should have known she wasn't fit based on the fact that she picked up a stress fracture in a race that hadn't happened yet

Passed fit to start, that doesn't guarantee a finish. At least two physios with direct access passed her as race-fit. You're saying that they should have known she wasn't fit based on the fact that she picked up a stress fracture in a race that hadn't happened yet

The runner is quoted in saying she knew she had a serious injury two weeks out, yes the physio team passed her fit, but that's for another day about that call.

If there had been a sub would they of passed her fit?

Lads, it was 3 years ago. Let it go...

• Advertisement

Lads, it was 3 years ago. Let it go...

Exactly. It's not like the alternative was going to be placing in the top 20 or anything. They all came absolutely nowhere.

Exactly. It's not like the alternative was going to be placing in the top 20 or anything. They all came absolutely nowhere.

How do you think we will do this time?

How do you think we will do this time?

Much the same I reckon in the men's and women's. FB I thought could be a contender for a top 15-20, but after Chicago I no longer think that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Much the same I reckon in the men's and women's. FB I thought could be a contender for a top 15-20, but after Chicago I no longer think that will happen.
    Wouldn't write her of so quick , with 2:33 thats not a terrible run, I to would have wanted her to be in the 2:27-8 range at this time, but I don't see why she cant be in that shape by next summer. Then on the day anything can happen, i expect it wont be a super fast race so top 15 could still be on.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Wouldn't write her of so quick , with 2:33 thats not a terrible run, I to would have wanted her to be in the 2:27-8 range at this time, but I don't see why she cant be in that shape by next summer. Then on the day anything can happen, i expect it wont be a super fast race so top 15 could still be on.

2:33 is a very poor run for somebody who went 2:31 on a slower course off 10000m training a year earlier. I think she has the potential to be running 2:26/2:27 but she really hasn't been at her best since 2012 lets be honest. I'm genuinely amazed at the sizeable amount of people who think 2:33 was a good run for her. Would people consider 1:46 a good run for English, or 46.8 being a good performance by Gregan?

To make the top 15 she'd probably have to be within 3-4 minutes of the winner, regardless of the time.

2:33 is a very poor run for somebody who went 2:31 on a slower course off 10000m training a year earlier. I think she has the potential to be running 2:26/2:27 but she really hasn't been at her best since 2012 lets be honest. I'm genuinely amazed at the sizeable amount of people who think 2:33 was a good run for her. Would people consider 1:46 a good run for English, or 46.8 being a good performance by Gregan?

To make the top 15 she'd probably have to be within 3-4 minutes of the winner, regardless of the time.

Definitely capable top 20 or so , as good as AD Felix or Moreira at marathon on good day, who have ran well in champs/big races before

Definitely capable top 20 or so , as good as AD Felix or Moreira at marathon on good day, who have ran well in champs/big races before

Unfortunately you have nothing to base that on thus far, except cross country form from 3 years ago. I do hope you are right though. But she is 222nd in the world this year. I know there's tons of those who are from just 2-3 countries who won't obviously get to compete, but that stat is a real eye opener. For comparison purposes Mary Cullen was ranked in the 70s this year for 5000m.

it was 3/4 minutes in London, a bit more in Beijing, 9 minutes in Greece, 7 in Sydney, 8 in Atlanta. World championship gap between 1 and 15 is also very variable. It will depend a lot on the conditions and who adapts their strategy best to cope with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I don't think people are saying it was a good run, but when things go wrong in a marathon it can be different to an 800m or 400m. I doubt she was happy with it also, but she held it together ok and managed to get in under the time, meaning she can focus on training now and not worry about having to run another so soon. This is still only her second Marathon so still learning about the event.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    I don't think people are saying it was a good run, but when things go wrong in a marathon it can be different to an 800m or 400m. I doubt she was happy with it also, but she held it together ok and managed to get in under the time, meaning she can focus on training now and not worry about having to run another so soon. This is still only her second Marathon so still learning about the event.

You learn more from a bad run than a good one. So I think nothing lost and everything gained from it for her.

The fact she held on is brillant!!

Advertisement